Natural Park stupidity

The diamond shape (what is so hard about west to east), and city ownership is probably what makes it the most annoying.

What I would suggest is to remove city ownership and just give all the bonuses to the closest cities.

I wasn't. Didn't even read your post.

And no roads don't matter.

Are all the tiles owned by one city? Manage citizens and make sure to swap tiles if they're not.

I gotta diamond of tiles that ought to qualify for a national park, but I can't build one. I can think of only one reason why I can't: two tiles have a road improvement.

Is a road improvement disqualifying?

If so, how do I remove a road? I've tried using builders, units, and military engineers...help.

A military unit should be able to pillage it. Don’t quote me on this, though.

I'm with you. There is no reason national parks should even belong to a particularly city in the first place. Maybe this is because I'm American but over here national parks are national parks specifically because they are controlled and are the jurisdiction of the country as whole (federally operated) and not the state/city in which they are located.

I'm with you. There is no reason national parks should even belong to a particularly city in the first place. Maybe this is because I'm American but over here national parks are national parks specifically because they are controlled and are the jurisdiction of the country as whole (federally operated) and not the state/city in which they are located.

Yep. As long as the terrain is in your territory and satisfies the appeal conditions, it seems like whatever tile the naturalist is on should "claim" the park and have the tiles be auto-swapped to that one city.

National Parks are stupid anyway because again, they're a mechanic solely for the human player to indulge in. You often need to settle a city specifically for building a National Park as all existing cities will have their tiles already developed. The AI won't get rid of developments to build national parks and this is evident because I've never actually seen an AI national park and likely never will.

I generally loathe game elements which the AI can't compete in.

I would like to place a Natural Park in the area mark in this image, but I can't. Why? Because the mountain tile was originally claimed by Dumbarton, and there is no way I can ever get it to switch ownership because it is outside the third tile ring of Ayr.

Wait, you can actually make a Natural Park out of the city 3 tiles range? This shouldn't be possible in the first place.

The roads don't matter but they all need to be owned by the same city AND the tiles need to be high enough appeal

Okay, I think I finally figured this out. Of the 4 tiles, 2 are breathtaking; 1 is charming; and 1 is average. I had read somewhere that the tile that the Naturalist is placed on to build a Nat'l Park must be charming and I don't recall reading that the status of the other 3 tiles mattered.

But, is it true that all 4 tiles must be charming or better? If true, then that is my problem -- that 1 "average" tile must be raised to at least "charming." Luckily, I can easily do that by simply eliminating the marsh land adjacent to the "average" tile, in which case I ought to be able to built the Park.

I'll try it and hopefully that will do the trick.

Wait, you can actually make a Natural Park out of the city 3 tiles range? This shouldn't be possible in the first place.
I've played games where I'm going for culture wins that result in huge city areas. If there is a mountain range nearby I can often fit a couple parks thanks to fourth and fifth ring tiles.

I have yet to ever build a single national park because of the absurd unnecessary same-city placement restriction. If it was all 4 tiles must be owned by the same player and the naturalist had a mountaineering promotion I'd probably build them fairly frequently. They're basically post-game content anyway, the winner is clear by the time they are available.

Top Bottom