• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

NBA 2009 Regular Season

I wish Mark Cuban would buy the 3-4 top players in the NBA and have them join his team.

Anyway, how long do you think the Cavaliers' current 13-game winning streak will last? I'm betting it'll go on to 20 games.

Likely not more than 3 or 4 more games. The Cavs had what, a 12 game winning streak? Remember, they are missing their starting PG (and 2nd best offensive player), and Delonte West JUST came back. Once they start playing tougher teams, they'll drop a game or two.

Cavs are highly interested in trading for A'mare....

Once they start playing tougher teams? I guess the Magic and Lakers aren't good enough. lol

Those were big wins (both at home), but they also had a cadre of some of the worst teams in the NBA...and all at home. I guess I should have rephrased myself...once they start playing some road games. Cleveland is prob the best home team in the NBA. They lost exactly one game that they attempted to win last season at home, and have lost what, 4 there this year?

In other news, the first major salvo of the NBA trade season has been fired!

Dallas Gets:
Brenden Haywood
Caron Butler
Deshawn Stevenson
Cash Considerations

Washington Gets
Josh Howard
Quinton Ross
Drew Gooden
James Singleton

Dallas is going to end up paying an extra 30 million or so for this deal, and quite honestly, I'm not sure if this makes them favorites to get to the western conference finals. Butler is going to be playing out of position at the 2 guard, where he won't be able to guard anybody. He's also having a fairly crappy season, just like Howard.

Washington sheds a good 15 million from their payroll, and maybe gets a keeper in Josh Howard, but I think they would have liked a little more talent for half of their franchise.

also

Cavs are "closing in" on a deal for Amare!!!

The move might actually make winning a title harder for Cleveland this year, but assuming they get Amare to an extension, it seals Lebron staying in Cleveland, and absolutely screws New York, New Jersey, and everybody else trying to clear cap for 2010....since 2 of the biggest names will already be taken off the market.

In other news, the first major salvo of the NBA trade season has been fired!

Dallas Gets:
Brenden Haywood
Caron Butler
Deshawn Stevenson
Cash Considerations

Washington Gets
Josh Howard
Quinton Ross
Drew Gooden
James Singleton

Dallas is going to end up paying an extra 30 million or so for this deal, and quite honestly, I'm not sure if this makes them favorites to get to the western conference finals. Butler is going to be playing out of position at the 2 guard, where he won't be able to guard anybody. He's also having a fairly crappy season, just like Howard.

Washington sheds a good 15 million from their payroll, and maybe gets a keeper in Josh Howard, but I think they would have liked a little more talent for half of their franchise.

also

Cavs are "closing in" on a deal for Amare!!!

The move might actually make winning a title harder for Cleveland this year, but assuming they get Amare to an extension, it seals Lebron staying in Cleveland, and absolutely screws New York, New Jersey, and everybody else trying to clear cap for 2010....since 2 of the biggest names will already be taken off the market.

I hope the Cavs don't get Amare. :sad:

I'm not really familiar with the quality of the players involved in the Dallas deal. How much better are the players Dallas gets over Washington anyway?

I hope the Cavs don't get Amare. :sad:

I'm not really familiar with the quality of the players involved in the Dallas deal. How much better are the players Dallas gets over Washington anyway?

Caron Butler is a marginally better wing player than Josh Howard offensively, has no character baggage like Howard, but isn't as good of a defender.

Haywood is having a career year and is an upgrade over Erika Dampier.

Drew Gooden (to washington) is a serviceable vet big man...low IQ, but can explode for scoring in bunches. Started on the Cavs 2007 finals team, and is a quality bench player.

Everybody else involved in this deal sucks, and won't play any games.

Dallas Gets:
Brenden Haywood
Caron Butler
Deshawn Stevenson
Cash Considerations

Washington Gets
Josh Howard
Quinton Ross
Drew Gooden
James Singleton

This is a great deal. Even though Butler is not as good as he should be, he is better then Howard. Haywood is the best part of the deal as the Mavericks badly need another center since Damp is hurt.
Caron Butler is a marginally better wing player than Josh Howard offensively, has no character baggage like Howard, but isn't as good of a defender.
Howard can be a good defender every 1 in 20 games, he just sleepwalks though the other games.

This trade is also good because Dallas needs the Adrenaline shot.

If the Cavs get Amare their defense is going to sink.

The problem with Butler for the Mavs is that he is going to be playing out of position. Butler is a small forward, and one who struggles to defend a lot of SFs at that. Dallas already starts two forwards...Dirk and Marion, so they're going to have to move Butler to the 2 (or spend a ton of money for a bench player). Butler will have a length advantage, but is going to have a hard time staying on front of 2's who are going to have a major speed advantage on him.

I like Haywood for the Mavs, he'll improve their interior defense and give them an extra bucket or two that Dampier couldn't, but the more I think about it, the more I think Cuban spent a TON of money on a pretty marginal upgrade. Too bad they couldn't have just swapped Dampier/Singleton/Ross and cash for Heywood straight up.

I like Haywood for the Mavs, he'll improve their interior defense and give them an extra bucket or two that Dampier couldn't, but the more I think about it, the more I think Cuban spent a TON of money on a pretty marginal upgrade. Too bad they couldn't have just swapped Dampier/Singleton/Ross and cash for Heywood straight up.
What is wrong with having Haywood and Dampier? There are not a lot of teams that have two decent centers.

What is wrong with having Haywood and Dampier? There are not a lot of teams that have two decent centers.

Nothing wrong with having both per se...you're right, not many teams have two quality centers (just 5 by my count: Boston, Cleveland, Orlando and both LA teams).

I just really don't like the Butler acquisition. Given how Dirk is able to play 10 min of center a night in a devastating smallball lineup, and how Drew Gooden is also capable of playing center, I feel like the Mavs could have thrown out some expiring contracts, upgraded their Center position with Heywood, and saved 20 million bucks on this Butler business.

Ya'll keep saying spend spend spend, but I think you forget that the NBA has a salary cap. Cuban can't just sign everybody he wants. Reckless spending is what ruined a lot of NBA teams.

Nothing wrong with having both per se...you're right, not many teams have two quality centers (just 5 by my count: Boston, Cleveland, Orlando and both LA teams).

I just really don't like the Butler acquisition. Given how Dirk is able to play 10 min of center a night in a devastating smallball lineup, and how Drew Gooden is also capable of playing center, I feel like the Mavs could have thrown out some expiring contracts, upgraded their Center position with Heywood, and saved 20 million bucks on this Butler business.
The reason they are keeping Damp is he is a big sign and trade chip for the summer. It will be interesting to see how Butler will play out. Even though he is having a subpar year for him, Howard would still be in Dallas if he put up those numbers.

Anybody watch the NBA All-star game last night?
The crowd size is just mind boggling.:crazyeye:

Does anyone think Utah will stay hot for long?

What do you say is your play of the first half of the year? As much as a pains me to say it, but Kobe's shot against Miami has to be the best one of the first half. I just watched the NBA.com's top ten plays of the year and they have half of them with Kobe making game winning shots. He has made so many this season that if he was not such a good clutch shooter, then LA would be towards the pack of the Western Conference.

That was good. Also Kobe's shot versus the Celtics, winning 90-89. That was the only big play from him that I actually saw on television (others I didn't see the games) so that play has more significance for me.

Oh 1 more ... I liked the 5'5 Earl Boykins' shot over Humphries to give the Wizards an 81-79 win over the Nets. :lol: Fun to watch small guys play.

Top Bottom