NESCraft III

Great update. Thanks for taking the time to run this @J.K. Stockholme

EDIT: Do we have auroch leather and snake skin?

EDIT 2: Will the goats breed by themselves? Are they indeed male and female?

Last edited:

Spoiler Tit-Trou Stockpile :
Fixtures: cave fire, rock cave entrance (5), fishing weir (6), linen hammock (6), bee box (3), wood fence (4), smoking rack (4)
Spirits: cave wisps (1)
Tools: stone tools (5), bone weaving tools (3), unused torches (1), rope (1)
Apparel: beekeeper’s hood (4), beekeeper’s suit (4)
Weapons: stone spear (1), stone axe (1), stone/snakeskin bola (2)
Food: four days’ smoked auroch meat (3)
Misc: gold nuggets

Spoiler Avatars :
Papa Grand-Crinière-Vert
Status: Healthy. Well Fed (+1 AP). Well Rested (+1 AP). Warm.
Action Points: 5 AP
Traits: Hunter, Crafty
Inventory: lizard satchel (3)

Free Action:
  1. Cook and eat auroch steaks
  2. Maintain fire.
  3. Check beebox.
  4. Check on the goats. Check for new kids. All goats get moved into the caves at night until we can get a proper palisade up.
Standard actions (if bees are in the bee bait box)
  1. Build pickaxe
  2. Build ax.
  3. Build thick multi-layered leather gloves from the auroch hide. Use our stone and weaving tools to help with the process. Use smoke-dried sinew from the auroch ligaments for thread.
  4. If the beebox has bees in it, put on the beekeeper's clothes and thick gloves and bring the beebox back to the caves. Build a proper hive using the ax, stone tools, clay, and wood. Take some embers from the fire and place them on fresh green leaves and gently smoke the baitbox. Once the bees are sleepy with smoke, transfer the swarm to the hives. Return the baitbox to the southern site that i took it from so we can try to attract a second hive.
  5. Sleep
Standard actions (if there are no bees in the bee bait box)
  1. Build pickaxe
  2. Build ax.
  3. Build a primitive potter's wheel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potter's_wheel#History). This may require the pickaxe to shape a stone and the ax to shape an piece of wood for an axis. Build a 'fast wheel' like those built in the 3rd millennium BC OTL. This allows the user to turn the wheel by hand on an axis, build up some momentum in the stone surface, and maintain that centrifugal movement while shaping the clay. Set it up to the immediate south-east of the goat fences so we have easy access to clay.
  4. Build as many variously sized pottery urns as i can with the potter's wheel and clay, decorating them lightly with the stone tools (of angry and happy suns inspired by the religious debate between mémère and listyr) and fire them in Thomas's new furnace.
  5. Sleep

Last edited:
Listyr's Day

Having had a good day yesterday Listyr will continue to be great value indeed.

Bless the Day

Free Actions

Listyr will wish to dine on fish: cook among the first catch of the day and eat it. If Listyr failure to catch fish and there is spare steak have some of that.

Pointed Actions

1) Listyr will need a new spear: gather the needed sticks and stones then craft with aid of the stone tools. Once more Listyr will be armed!
2) Listyr will fish. Fish at the fishing weir. Add fishes to the rack, save the first fish catch which will be set for the free actions of eating.
3A) If fishing successful then Listyr needs to make linen hammock. Gather needed grass & plant fiber and make a hammock.
3B) If fishing a failure then Listyr will fish with the weir again!
4) Sleep: if successful at making a hammock then sleep on it in the cavern, otherwise sleep on the cavern at the floor.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20200720-143116_Discord.jpg
Religious schism at P'tit Trou

View attachment 563466 Religious schism at P'tit Trou

O flamed ball of evil
Burning flesh since primeval
Great malice upheaval
Destroys like boll weevil

Evil anger above
Why rage upon us so?
Is your fury behove?
You cast us in hot woe!

Lives? You burn them away!
We must shelter from thee!
Shelter from evil ray!
That the way Listyr see!

O flamed ball of evil
Light's malice primeval
Dreaded heat upheaval
Night guard us retrieval

Great update. Thanks for taking the time to run this @J.K. Stockholme

EDIT: Do we have auroch leather and snake skin?

EDIT 2: Will the goats breed by themselves? Are they indeed male and female?

1. you have auroch cured hide and snakeskin yes, good catch

2. yes they eventually will have an offspring

@Ailedhoo
I've only cooled players off if they spend an AP - you can do something at the same time as be in the spring waters, but I'll need that AP sacrifice from ya (e.g. meditate, whatever)

also, you said "bless the day" but I don't know if you intend to use the actual mechanic for mana - are you wanting to spend 1 mana point to bless the first failed action as per that rule?

Excellent. Thank-you.

1. you have auroch cured hide and snakeskin yes, good catch

2. yes they eventually will have an offspring

@Ailedhoo
I've only cooled players off if they spend an AP - you can do something at the same time as be in the spring waters, but I'll need that AP sacrifice from ya (e.g. meditate, whatever)

also, you said "bless the day" but I don't know if you intend to use the actual mechanic for mana - are you wanting to spend 1 mana point to bless the first failed action as per that rule?

Understood: orders corrected.

Yes: I will like to use the bless the day mechanic.

OOC; Finally some people If we unite we can become the crafting trio

1. Move east passing the river to the other side.
2. forage for food
3. Greet other strange people show them am not hostile
4, Sleep

Thanks, I forgot that they both required AP.

Lord Herobrine

1)
Move to the north-west beyond my line of sight. 1 AP
2)
Forage along the way. 1 AP
3)
Sleep when I become too tired to continue. 1 AP

Excellent update, but I have to ask - I wasn't intended to get taught as a hunter, SK was. I was thinking more of a herding thing for my character. Was this a mistake? Now that the whole thing is processed, of course, I'm not sure it's a good idea to rectify it, and there's some ingame point to it since connecting to my past self is pretty on tune with being a hunter, not because I was any good at it, but because it's all I ever did before getting git. ^^

1) Gather grass to craft a large net, ideal for capturing sheep

2) Sneak up on sheep, attempt to capture as many as possible with my net. Bless this action, calling upon great Thenron's aid in this endeavor. Bring the sheep back to the cave for safe keeping.

IF one of the sheep is lactating:
3) Milk the sheep for sustenance.

IF Hale-as-Stone has gathered enough food:
3) Use stone tools to shear some sheep's wool, using it to make a mattress

IF there isn't sufficient food:
3) Use Hale-as-Stone's Axe to bludgeon one of the sheep and eat some of it for dinner cooked over the fire. Set aside wool/hide to make a mattress.

4) Sleep

Free action: gather some sticks to toss in the furnace for warmth
1 action: Continue appealing to the spirits to semi-permanently ward the area against predators, calling on Thenron's aid and using the leylines mapped out by Baioreznomat (expending as much mana as necessary)
1 action: Forage berries for myself and Baioreznomat
1 action: Mine copper ore and chuck it in the Furnace with some timber.
1 action: ZzZZzzzzZZzzzZZZZZzzZZZzz

1 AP) Look for grains. I'll wander the area close by, looking for a grain that we can grow.
1 AP) Make torches
1 AP) Build a semi-caveside oven/furnace out of stones and clay, something like this:
Spoiler :

1 AP) Explore the cave with one of the kids
1 AP) Rest rest rest.

Short orders, sorry about the lateness.

Angst
Action Points: 2 AP
Traits: Handler
Mana: 3
-
AP 1: Follow Listyr, learning one of the traits.
AP 2: Take care of these goats. Can I get them to mate? Expend 1 mana as a Blessing to try and get them to mate. The Great Water Goat in the Sky wants its children to prosper.

Day Ten

Tit-Trou

Spoiler Tit-Trou Stockpile :
Fixtures: cave-side furnace, rock cave entrance (5), fishing weir (6), linen hammock (6), bee box (3), wood fence (4), smoking rack (4)
Tools: stone tools (4), bone weaving tools (3), three unused torches, rope (1), pickaxe (5), pottery wheel (4), two clay urns (6)
Apparel: beekeeper’s hood (4), beekeeper’s suit (4)
Weapons: stone spear (1), stone axe (6), stone axe (1), stone/snakeskin bola (2)
Food: two days’ smoked fish (4)
Misc: gold nuggets, cured auroch hide (4), snakeskin (3)

Spoiler Avatars :

Papa Grand-Crinière-Vert
Traits: Hunter, Crafty, Toolmaker
Inventory: lizard satchel (3)

Mémère Esprit
Status: Minor Injury (2, bruises). Well Fed (+1). Well Rested (+1 AP).
Traits: Forager, Crafty
Mana: 1

Listyr
Action Points: 4 AP
Traits: Waterborne, Warrior
Inventory: stone spear (4)

Angst
Status: Healthy. Well Fed (+1 AP). Exhausted (-1 AP, major penalty to all actions). Warm.
Traits: Handler, Waterborne
Mana: 2

Chat-Verte
Action Points: 3 AP
Traits: Hunter, Spelunker
Mana: 1

Papa, you start your day with a stroll to the bee box – no bees today. You head back to the cave and instead work heavily on several new things. You craft a pickaxe, a regular axe, and a pottery wheel, working the entire day. You take a break to collect clay, grabbing what you can with your hands, which is a bit tedious, but you get enough for some pottery. Using your new wheel, you create a couple urns of a couple sizes. They are of great quality – in fact, most of what you did today was of great quality. You feel that you have gained strength as a crafter in the domain of toolmaking.

Mémère, your day begins with a search for grains. You’ve foraged the valley before and know it is exhausted of useful plants, so you go searching in nearby environs. In the north-western swamps a bear decides to rush at you, and you run away, hurting yourself on rocks as you escape the bear to minor injury. From a hilly vantage point, you spot something you remember being near when you first landed in this world – a bright red plant that grows upward. It’s outside of range for you to realistically go there today, but you remember it’s location clearly. Back at the cave, you craft some torches - you feel good about your crafting abilities now. You also take Chat-Verte to join you in a mission to explore the caves. This time you have less of a panic when you feel lost, because Chat-Verte seems to know exactly where you are. After a few hours of exploration, you discover a large yellow-ish mineral deposit (gold). You have now explored a lot of the cave, but there is likely still at least one secret even deeper down the cavernous routes - the risk of getting lost and being unable to get back to the surface are much greater for such a cave trip. Chat-Verte, you also get the idea that your newfound cave-exploration skills may be useful when exploring the exterior of mountains on the surface – you might find small caves with interesting things to discover.

Listyr, you work on a new spear before heading out to fish with Angst. Heading out to the weir, you show Angst some techniques with spear-fishing and using the weir, but your first few hours don’t catch you two very much. Angst enjoys some time learning to swim, and takes the Waterborne trait from you Listyr. The second period of fishing results in more gains, and with everything caught, there’s some surplus beyond what will feed you Listyr.

Listyr eats his catch while everyone else east smoked auroch, and everyone heads to bed… except Angst, who decides another night with the goats is what’s in order. You head out and try another prayer to the goat god in the sky, hoping to see your goats have a child. You do not know what the results are, you don’t feel the connection you did to the spirits like last night – but you feel like something positive but minor may have happened.

In the morning, the cave wisps around the sacred spring are gone, and darkness fills the inner caverns.

Hale-as-Stone, Baioreznomat, & Sleeps-in-Cave

Stashed Nearby: cave furnace, Thenron effigy (3), deerhide blanket (8), half a tree’s worth of timber, Thenron’s protective ley-lines (3), woollen mattress (4), one days’ mutton (2)

Hale-as-Stone
Status: Minor Injury (2, scorpion sting). Well Fed (+1 AP). Well Rested (+1 AP).
Traits: Crafty, Sneaky
Inventory: stone spear (3), stone tools (2), cured tiger/deer clothes (8)

Baioreznomat
Traits: Sneaky, Crafty, Butcher
Inventory: cured tiger clothes (4), stone pickaxe (2)
Mana: 2

Sleeps-in-Cave
Status: Minor Injury (2, scorp scrapes), Minor Injury (3, wolf bruises). Hungry (-1 AP). Rested.
Traits: Crafty, Warrior, Stealthy
Inventory: stone spear (2), atlatl (3), stone hoe (3), stone tools (2), linen satchel (7)

Hale-as-Stone, you wake up and get straight to work on summoning the strength of Thenron to protect the vale. You expend all the energy you feel flowing through you – and Thenron answers with a gush of wind that knocks you on your back. When you look around at the ley-lines, they have changed, and but you do not know what complications may have been involved. You move on, going to berry bushes to forage – but your efforts are totally wasted, with you few suitable berries. It seems a number are no longer around. Heading back to the cave, you grab a pickaxe and try to find those metals Baioreznomat – but mining in darkness is challenging, so you spend a great deal of time for only a few chunks of copper-laden rock. You throw what you dug up into the furnace nonetheless and meet some new person who seems a bit beat up.

Baioreznomat, your day begins with some crafting of a net, which initially you mess up quite a bit before spirits intervene to help you make something that won’t break immediately. You head off to the south, but the sheep seem to be fleeing the vale – you suspect a fault in protective ley-lines may be causing all creatures in-general to leave the vale. You catch up with the sheep and try to snag one, but you miss and damage your net. You keep working at it, and with Thenron’s blessing, you catch one live sheep! You drag it back to camp, and having learned that foraging was a failure, butcher the creature for enough meat for yourself, Hale-as-Stone, with one surplus for tomorrow. You’ve done a lot of butchering and feel pretty good at it now.

Baioreznomat and Hale-as-Stone, a stranger arrives and tries to indicate they are friendly – you cautiously let them sleep in your cave. With the amenities you have put together, your cave finally feels okay to sleep in.

Sleeps-in-Cave, in the dawn’s light you see figures like yourself in the distance – something you have never witnessed before. You make your journey south-westward, to meet these beings, but despite your attempt to sneak, stalking you is a group of wolves. You are forced to fight them and using your atlatl and spear to scare them off after only being bruised by one that jumped at you. You forage along the way but are unable to get anything worthy of a meal – so after crossing the river, you try grabbing berries. After getting some, you realize they are too ripe and are worthless as a meal. With the last effort of your day, you make it to the other beings, introducing yourself as friendly. Tired from your great migration, you sleep without food and are hungry the next morning – but you have friends now. You also feel like you know how to sneak around animals and avoid predatory eyes.

Double A

Status: Healthy. Fed. Well Fed (+1 AP). Overheating (penalty to energetic actions).
Action Points: 4 AP
Traits: Warrior, Crafty, Spearman
Inventory: stone tools (3), stone spear (6), sling (3), crabshell shield (1), rope (4), two days' crocodile meat (2), crocodile skin (3)
Stashed Nearby: fire

This isn't the first time you feel like you lost your soul. Everything seems to freeze and you seem to be without that inner voice that brings forth all of your thoughts. Though you do not know it, a day has passed for the world, but no time has passed for you.

Spear-Walker

Status: Minor Injury (3, rhino impalements). Fed. Rested. Frigid (penalty to stationary/crafting actions).
Action Points: 3 AP
Traits: Warrior, Spearman, Crafty, Forager
Inventory: atlatl (1), stone spear (4), stone tools (1), enchanted wreath (3), bearskin tunic (5), bearskin backpack (5), two days' forageables (4), three days' lemons (6)
Stashed Nearby: nothing

Your journey north-westward begins in the morning, as you exit the temperate rainforest you had traversed for days, and enter into a drier, colder plains. As you walk, you scavenge for edible plants, finding some generic ones as you go – but also discovering a bright yellow fruit with an interesting taste. Your foraging is incredibly successful – you thank your enchanted wreath for all the food you were able to store in your backpack. After much walking across the plains, you see an ocean, and to the southwest, a desert.

--

Orders due for Friday July 31st!

Hey! This game has gotten to ten updates, yay! Updating NESCraft is relatively easy and I feel confident this game could handle additional players - so I'm going to reach out to folks who played previous NESCrafts and see if they might be interested in joining.

Ten updates is also a good point to ask y'all for feedback and suggestions about things that could be added. I definitely want to maintain the game's simplicity because it makes updating easy, but there are some things I may want to expand on, such more sophisticated uses of mana, and more deadly predators. Let me know what you think!

Top Bottom