New Beta Version - December 1st (12-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were all of them near you and not near each other? Proximity is an important factor in AI war choices.

In any case I'll be making some strategic changes for the next version.

Aztecs and Denmark were next to one another but I didn't see them war at all since I discovered them in Renaissance Era. I forgot to mention Mongolia and Mongolia was next to Persia. Mongolia took one Persian city and stopped warring with Persia anymore. What annoyed me was that a Korean city was forward settled to the Aztecs and was basically isolated from the other Korean cities. Yet, Aztecs didn't do anything about it. All of these civs were on a separate continent with Mongolia technically closest to me but Persia is certainly much closer as they share a direct border.

Aztecs and Denmark were next to one another but I didn't see them war at all since I discovered them in Renaissance Era. I forgot to mention Mongolia and Mongolia was next to Persia. Mongolia took one Persian city and stopped warring with Persia anymore. What annoyed me was that a Korean city was forward settled to the Aztecs and was basically isolated from the other Korean cities. Yet, Aztecs didn't do anything about it. All of these civs were on a separate continent with Mongolia technically closest to me but Persia is certainly much closer as they share a direct border.

Could just be an oddity, but changes I'm making next version should help with this.

Interesting behavior: Japan parks Cannons in his Capital and attacks the CS with a carpet of Melee units (there were more).

Unrelated:

> Go Tall England
> park a Spy in your Capital
> Get to White Tower
> Gain gold and science killing 2 enemy spies per turn
> IT'S FREE ESTATE

upload_2019-12-9_23-0-57.png

It is actually quite viable to melee cities now, especially with samurai with city assault. The CS does not seem to have a ranged garrison and he can get his melee units to attack from that farm on the same turn the unit is healed. Maybe he is simply farming XP and GG points.

He might be defending himself / preparing for a war against you, since you're near his capital.

FYI, there were some merge errors in the Github repository, so my diplo changes for next version may be delayed a bit, but I'm attempting to get everything merged for next version.

Last edited:
If the promotion is going to stay the AI needs to learn about this as well though.
That is the deciding factor.
Can the AI be taught to use it well.
If it can then we could change the gameplay of even more units like this.
In classic turn based hex wargames like Panzer General or the newer Panzer Corps infantry, AA guns and AT guns have to avoid open terrain against tanks but are very good against tanks and tank destroyers in rough terrain.
And tanks are bad at attacking infantry in rough terrain so they would bring infantry for that. So infantry has its own use is not just cheap compromise because you don't have any more oil to build the better unit.
That makes the game much more complex and fun - if the AI can deal with it.

Oh and I changed my mind about cityx strength. The now weaker cities are easier for the AI to deal with so it improves the game.

Some additional inputs from my standard emperor game with good ol' Washington :
1) Yeah, it would be cool to do something about theming. Either as suggested remove the necessity of foreign Great Works (but I don't really like this idea) or increase the desirability of AI to trade GWs.
2) About wars, AI ganged up on me from late Renaissance to early Modern era, but as soon as ideologies kicked in and as I was losing the lead due to constantly fighting everyone, other civs started to fight each other, and particulary with the score leader (Portugal). But before that, except for some occasional fights between Denmark and India who shared the same landmass, no wars at all (to my knowledge).
3) AIs never sent a single land unit on my continent. Just ships. Lots of ships.
Overall, a really fun game with fierce competition, but happy ending : a culture victory the turn I discovered the last tech.

I haven't warred much on the latest patch yet - playing Siam, only defensive wars - but I just saw England conquer one of my allied CS on just a few turns.
She has her Ships of the Line, in decent numbers, and Authority, but it was still a shock how fast it happened (and since I'm Siam, CS get a minor boost to resist!).

Apart from that, total domination on my part from early on. I reiterate that Siam is one of the best early snowballers. More so now that China and Ethiopia have been toned down.
But they're not overpowered: they can fizzle quickly too.

Interestingly there's a ton of Maritime CS on my map, so my capital has Indian levels of population...

I'll have to play a warmonger next, to see how city conquest has changed. The recent change to cities could be a massive buff for them.

Are battleships really supposed to take 1 iron AND 1 oil?

I'm not opposed to that idea, but maybe they could be 75:c5rangedstrength:75:c5strength: (currently 75:c5rangedstrength:60:c5strength:) if they are going to cost so much?

Is the 12-1-1 version bugged in Mega? No matter how I try to download it, I get a temporary error. 12-1 and other files is just fine.

Are battleships really supposed to take 1 iron AND 1 oil?

I'm not opposed to that idea, but maybe they could be 75:c5rangedstrength:75:c5strength: (currently 75:c5rangedstrength:60:c5strength:) if they are going to cost so much?

And still you need Biology to use oil.

Either or my installation is borked or the hotfix did not hit the mark :undecide:

I read that someone wrote "melee units were now able to take down cities" ....
I tested a game on Emperor Epic as Denmark.
Plopped some 6 cities down.
Beelined Runestones -> berserkers.
Managed to hook up 8 iron (was lucky with a 6iron a bit far away) with one of the last cities.
I had a couple of catapults with me but they mostly slowed me down, Berserkers (most with drill promo) just rolled over poor russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom