1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta Version - December 1st (12-1)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Dec 1, 2019.

1. randomnub

randomnub Prince

The famous words that make me stop play CiV for the time being. :twitch:

vyyt and HeathcliffWarriors like this.
  2. HeathcliffWarriors

HeathcliffWarriors King

Hey, you can still play the current version. It's just that the next version will be better! :lol:

...if I didn't screw up, that is. :shifty:

Hinin, vyyt, JamesNinelives and 3 others like this.
  3. ilteroi

ilteroi Prince

the message is misleading ... the enemy knight took 28 damage when it killed your unit.

vyyt and JamesNinelives like this.
  4. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

I’d just like to report that I have 1-shotted barbarian skirmishers in open terrain with my Accuracy II Babylonian Bowmen in my current game.

I upgraded to accuracy III crossbows and was doing >70HP to Mayan heavy skirmishers in rough.

these dudes are melting. The Maya only built 2 skirmishers before I wiped them out, but by the time I was sieging their capital I had two 3 range, indirect fire crossbows and I 2-shotted his last H Skirmisher with 30 damage to spare. It felt like cheating.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  5. ridjack

ridjack King

Is it possible to have AIs not get cranky when you "steal" Hidden Sites and they don't have Artistry? They don't even know they're there until someone digs them up, so it feels silly to me.

6. HeathcliffWarriors

HeathcliffWarriors King

They can't see the site, but they can see your Archaeologist digging up their artifacts, and not building a Landmark afterwards. If they did that to you, you'd put two and two together as well. :)

You can always go with "We meant no offense when we were trying to steal your cultural heritage." It's quite a nice line, so much so that the AI's opinion penalty will be reduced by 10 if you keep the promise. :lol:

Also, I did program it so that they won't deny you Open Borders even if you stole their artifacts, provided that all remaining sites within their borders are Hidden ones and they don't have Artistry.

Speaking of this, I was inspired to make one additional tweak:
    Code:
    AI will now charge 200 more Gold to give you Open Borders for each artifact you've stolen (if they're willing to let you in)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Hinin, andersw, cerk and 3 others like this.
  7. Coffee Monopoly

Coffee Monopoly Warlord

@HeathcliffWarriors' changelogs always have a way of making one hyped for the next version. :thumbsup:
    Ooooh, this sounds like something that could be adjusted according to leader flavour, and tied to one of the attributes the game gives to each AI leader.

Hinin, vyyt, JamesNinelives and 2 others like this.
  8. ridjack

ridjack King

Sure, but I also wouldn't be bothered by it. I can't do anything with it; someone might as well get some use out of it.

Bromar1 likes this.
  9. HeathcliffWarriors

HeathcliffWarriors King

Why, thank you. :)

I just added a simple check to IsGoodChoiceForDefensivePact, but it's certainly possible to expand more on the logic for teammates.
    Code:
    Loop through all of our AI teammates.

If the teammate's approach towards the potential DP is HOSTILE or WAR, return false.

If the teammate's guess about the potential DP's approach towards them is HOSTILE or WAR, return false.

If the teammate considers the potential DP a backstabber, return false.

10. HeathcliffWarriors

HeathcliffWarriors King

The AI will eventually unlock Artistry, though. Whether it's the next policy they unlock or because they've unlocked every other policy in the game, they will eventually get to it and be able to view Hidden sites. And when they do, they will remember how you stole their chance to have slightly more cultural defense in the everlasting ten-year war. :)

...or rather, they're angry at you in advance, but nevertheless!

https://www.cnn.com/2012/06/18/tech/gaming-gadgets/civilization-ii-ten-years/index.html

11. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

That's got to be a bug, skirmishers have effectively 15 RCS in open terrain (aka the highest RCS at that point), so if they are getting one shotted something must not be calculating properly.

12. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

I did have the barb bonus, but I was still doing more than 50% vs main player skirnishers

13. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Prince

Very high level units are going to do a lot of damage regardless of unit types involved though, aren't they?

14. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

My last example was units with both indirect fire and range, so that's -30%, which cancels the +30% with accuracy, so it's only the 30% vs >50HP bonus which is under consideration, otherwise it hits the same as a lvl 1 unit

15. ridjack

ridjack King

I know they can get nuked in rough terrain. I've had to re-learn my retreat strategies; leaving the poor things on a hill or in forest is just asking to have them murdered by an uppity worker or something.

16. randomnub

randomnub Prince

If the promotion is going to stay the AI needs to learn about this as well though.

17. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Prince

I think I understand now. I wasn't accounting for the CS malus in rough terrain.

vyyt likes this.
  18. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 King

I just completed my game and a few things come to mind.

First, can we look at the theming bonus? Now that it's really rare for trades to happen since the AI doesn't need to trade their Great Works, it's become very difficult to make theming bonuses work. I don't mind if either or both of these happens.

1. Make the theming bonus stronger to reflect the difficulty required to make them work.
    2. Change the requirements of some Wonders so that it doesn't require Great Works of foreign powers.

Secondly, I honestly don't get the AI in the late game (Industrial Era onward). I guess their aggressiveness is still being tuned but no wars at all in the late game is just odd. I was the only one being declared war on by other AIs and I don't even have the lowest military score. Does anyone else have these or am I just having weird games? There were Persia, Aztecs and Denmark in my game so it wasn't short of warmongers.

Thirdly, I'm not sure if it's a bug but the AI I was competing with for SV (Korea) just gave up without warning on building spaceship parts. It had two parts left to a SV and its capital was doing research. I had spies on three of its four cities and none of them were building spaceship parts. That capital even started on Cern but it never finished. Maybe other people has observed similar weird behaviors?

JamesNinelives and Bromar1 like this.
  19. bigcat88

bigcat88 King

In my current game with wars are fine. Starting from Industrial we fight and fight. Immortal difficulty, 8/8 , standard.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  20. HeathcliffWarriors

HeathcliffWarriors King

Were all of them near you and not near each other? Proximity is an important factor in AI war choices.

In any case I'll be making some strategic changes for the next version.

vyyt and JamesNinelives like this.