New Beta Version - March 14th (3-14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, I went Authority (King) and everything feels great to me so far. Playing a wide snowballing Aztec (11 cities currently, 3 of which are puppets), and the happiness feels in-line with my conquering pace (fluctuating between 75-85), as I've allowed some room to breath between conquests. I've got plenty of unique luxuries, the most established religion, and I'm two policies into Fealty with castles starting to sprout.

I know others want some tweaks to luxuries and for the early game, but in general this setup feels really sweet. I know it's a small sample size, and I can't account for higher difficulties, but I personally find the new local system and UI very manageable, great stuff G.

A hard cooldown was implemented on some events. This was in response to people who had experienced several consecutive tile pillaging events in a short period of time.

I'm happy for the change, personally. It makes playing with events bearable, because having 12+ tiles all get pillaged in 10 turns or less was actually pretty common before and it was incredibly irritating. Being forced to reassign workers to other cities because 2 cities next to each other just had their entire infrastructure implode is not my idea of fun.

That's very understandable, I was in the same boat not too long ago. It does make using VP's Community Events mod-mod less interesting though - you don't get to see a lot of the things you normally would in a game.

That's very understandable, I was in the same boat not too long ago. It does make using VP's Community Events mod-mod less interesting though - you don't get to see a lot of the things you normally would in a game.
I havn't played with events on in over a year (I won't until everything is fully refined and VP is 'Gold'). Things might be a little less spontaneous and slightly more dull, but the randomness lead to frustration, with less stability and consistency, ultimately making it harder to get an idea of the underlying balance of G's intended experience.

I've got nothing against the events really, and I know Enginseer has put tons of work in, but it's just my preference to wait. At the same time, we need people to be using events to get feedback, so it's all good.

A hard cooldown was implemented on some events. This was in response to people who had experienced several consecutive tile pillaging events in a short period of time.

I'm happy for the change, personally. It makes playing with events bearable, because having 12+ tiles all get pillaged in 10 turns or less was actually pretty common before and it was incredibly irritating. Being forced to reassign workers to other cities because 2 cities next to each other just had their entire infrastructure implode is not my idea of fun.
Entirely inaccurate. City Events are now hard-cooldowned to 25 turns(from 10 turns) whereas both City Events and Player Events used to be hard-cooldowned to 10 Turns in previous versions.

I played a King authority Poland game and it was probably too easy, sure Poland is strong, I had good early expand options and no extreme warmongers around.
A few basic questions:
I havent questioned my distress management and realised I'm not 100% sure, is it food or hammer or either /pop? or even hammer/food or something like that?
Distress was by far my biggest unhappiness (with diligens and cathedral from religion), is this the case in general? any choices that could be made to mitigate that? (I know constabularies help but nothing before that).
I ended up building a few of those projects, maybe I'm supposed to do that? or should I avoid growing?

The new happiness system seems like someone said more like civ 4 with an added global effect.
Takes a bit getting used to but I like it.
I had one dip below 75%, how far down can you go before things get very bad?

Shouldn't the penalty to unit production apply only to military units?
Possible Settlers as well if we want it to slow expansion.
But slowing down caravans for instance (workers are impacted as well I assume) does not help one climb out of the hole.

In my case it was due to a prolonged war (lots of war weariness in the capital since the remainder goes there), so it corrected itself, but in other cases it could be troublesome.

Entirely inaccurate. City Events are now hard-cooldowned to 25 turns(from 10 turns) whereas both City Events and Player Events used to be hard-cooldowned to 10 Turns in previous versions.

The cool down wasn’t working at all. So we went from no cool down to 25 turns.

I started multiple (10+) games to get the feeling of this beta on standard continents/pangea maps and I didn't see a single AI select Progress yet. That's not a bad decision by any means (authority/tradition work for those AIs, there's no 'straight progress' civ pick that is playing suboptimally) but I can't help thinking there's some oversight going on, that or rng is making fun of me.

I just started one with b2 and met 2 civs so far, both went Progress.

Just noting, that one AI I've noticed has gotten a massive upgrade from the newer tactical AI is Hiawatha. Facing him near forest was scary before, but now he's a nightmare. If you are anywhere near a forest, and that unit is a little bit hurt, he will find a way to snipe that unit. I've gone into full defense mode and I'm still losing units every round. Warfare is a whole different ballgame now.

Started a new game. Persia picked Tradition, Spain Authority and Austria Progress. Not the best choices, but this is King.
My King start had Persia with Authority, while Maya and Murca went Tradition. I'm about to discover the other civs and I'll take notes on their policies, but it's just the nature of some outlier games I guess.

Started a new game. Persia picked Tradition, Spain Authority and Austria Progress. Not the best choices, but this is King.
Tradition Persia is pretty fun. Immortal rush + GA synergy. Authority Spain still has synergy too I think

Authority Spain is fudging terrifying.

Spain is a case where it's sort of better in the hands of the AI right now. As a human on high difficulty it can be tricky to stay above the happy curve, and as someone was saying earlier a bad pop hut early can put you into unhappy on the 4th citizen and it's pretty much gg with the reduced settler training speed. It reminds me a bit of some of the pantheons that are stronger for high-difficulty AI, but being a whole civ it's a little disappointing.

I guess maybe you could try going Worker First instead of Monument->Warrior->Settler to deal with it better, but that also requires a 1-tech lux and probably some good farms to really make it worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom