New Beta Version - March 2nd (3-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rome needed to defend their ally Belgrade against Barbarian hordes, but our former "friend" Gaja Madeye wouldn't give open borders (You don't need enemies if you have such friends...).
So we had to DOW him to get our troops to Belgrade. Now the barbs are gone, our ally attacks the Indonesians.
Spoiler :
2.jpg

Rome's other allies attack Indonesian troops all over the world. Even our weak vassal Spain does her best...
O.k., the Spanish Great General seems to be mislead, but all in all the AI's action looks quite nice.
Spoiler :
3.jpg

I just got a conscripted melee ship in a small lake near wonderful Rome... :rolleyes:

Btw, could the lighthouse create a connection from here to a city on another continent, with just another lake next to it?

ilteroi fixed this, no more conscripted ships. Also no more gifted ships to landlocked City-States.

I believe there needs to be a naval path between the two cities, it's not just a "has lighthouse" check.

ilteroi fixed this, no more conscripted ships. Also no more gifted ships to landlocked City-States.
Does it include polar CS with their waters completely surrounded by ice?

It's probably overkill, but what this really needs is a route-finding check. If you couldn't navigate the unit to it's destination city state, then no gifting. Not sure the reverse would be desirable since it could cripple benefits from city state alliances and it'd be hard to get the AI to understand how to prioritize city states that are able to send it units.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the decision about which units can teleport and when seems odd, just some off the top of my head:

Spies: teleport, don't exist as units, take ~3 turns to get from one city to another when moved regardless of distance.
Missionaries/Emissaries: Exist as units, can't teleport, have to move across the map manually but can do so through any territory.
Great Generals: Exist as units, can't teleport.
Great Admirals: Exist as units, can teleport with restrictions. Not sure how long it takes to arrive, but I think 1 turn?
Gifting to City States: Any military unit, takes 3 turns to arrive regardless of distance.
Caravans: Exist as units, can teleport with restrictions. Arrives in 1 turn regardless of distance.
Planes: Can teleport from one airbase to the next, don't exist as units (I think). Arrive in 1 turn (I think). Clearly I don't get past the Renaissance that often.

At the very least, it's odd that there's a difference in the number of turns it takes units to arrive when they do teleport, and that this time doesn't scale with map size or city distance.

I believe there needs to be a naval path between the two cities, it's not just a "has lighthouse" check.

Is there any reason that landlocked cities can build lighthouse/harbour if they have water next to it, even if it is only a pond. Seems silly. Wouldn't it make more sense that a city could only build these if next to coastal waters.

Unless this has changed, if you owned a tile covered in ice you could go through it with ships, so would have access.. Don't play much with these sort of cities so not sure.

Is there any reason that landlocked cities can build lighthouse/harbour if they have water next to it, even if it is only a pond. Seems silly. Wouldn't it make more sense that a city could only build these if next to coastal waters.

I disagree, the reason why it's possible to build lighthouse / harbor in those cities it's because sometimes by using properly forts citadels is possible to connect to water an original landlocked city. In that case the % naval unit production bonus from harbor / seaport can come as really useful. Or you can use the lighthouse to connect lake cities that otherwise would take a long time to connect by road.

It seems niche but under certain maps is truly useful

Spies: teleport, don't exist as units, take ~3 turns to get from one city to another when moved regardless of distance.

:crazyeye: I wanted to teach you about how spying works in real life. A truly trained spy is more guile and secretive than a ninja. Yes, it's true. The key to their skill is they are able to control their soul through meditation and sheer will. You see, a great spy can have an out-of-body experience at command, teleport their soul to their target, and take control of the body of another living person, preferably that of a well-respected and well-connected person within the government. A rookie spy may have extra challenges, or may not pay attention to details as well. Maybe the male spy was messy about putting on lipstick, or didn't realize his new body was having an affair with a boss or someone else important. They get caught and killed. A well-promoted spy is astute to all details and everyone believes the person they are pretending to be is still 100% the person. When you call them back to their hideout, at their own command they have their soul leave the host's body and nearly immediately (1 turn) they are back to their original body.

I hope this explains the reason why spying is what it is in Civ.

Personally I think the UI only espionage system in Civ V was never a great idea. I miss the Civ IV system of having actual units engaging in active spying. But in lieu of of a comprehensive overhaul of espionage (which would be amazing, but probably impossible), spies gifted with the teleport spell from Divinity 2 Original Sin is here to stay.

Personally I think the UI only espionage system in Civ V was never a great idea. I miss the Civ IV system of having actual units engaging in active spying. But in lieu of of a comprehensive overhaul of espionage (which would be amazing, but probably impossible), spies gifted with the teleport spell from Divinity 2 Original Sin is here to stay.

Try @Tomatekh's Great Spy mod. It's pretty functional at recreating the Civ IV style system. The AI uses it pretty well too, that being said, it's not perfect.

I play on huge, 21 civ 40 cs maps, with abundant resources, epic speed and from what I've seen most AI's consistently give way too much early game for iron and horses. After AI's start getting +15 net gpt they are offering around 6-9 gpt per each which makes milking them for all their cash very easy if you have enough strat resources. I find it odd because post renaissance they start only offering 3-4 which is a far more reasonably and less exploitable sum for them

... Or you can use the lighthouse to connect lake cities that otherwise would take a long time to connect by road.

Seemed not quite clear to me. I used IGE on a save from my last game (Rome). Now there are only 3 cities left, Rome and Mumbai next to lakes, Antium coastal. There are lighthouses built in all of them.
Spoiler :

1 Rome & Antium.jpg

2 Mumbai.jpg

There were NO city connections established (I forgot to take a picture, but both Antium and Mumbai showed unhappiness from isolation)!

After connecting only Antium by road, both cities were connected. Same thing happened after connecting only Mumbai.
Spoiler :

3 Road-to-A.jpg

4 Road-to-M.jpg

At last, after removing the Mumbai lighthouse, Antium was disconnected again.
Spoiler :

5 lighthouse_M_rem.jpg

Now, what does all this mean? Lakeside lighthouses do establish city connections, if not built in capital?

Not to forget: Originally there was a naval connection to Mumbai by citadel, but removing it made no difference.
Edit: Obviously there was no naval path to Rome. But I wonder why the connection between Antium and Mumbai lighthouses is working without a naval path.

Last edited:
My theory is that there's a naval path. You can go from Mumbai to the lake to the river on the deer to the Ocean. Then that Ocean has connection with Antium. It's either that or the Citadel created a naval path that wasn't deleted by the game later (which i find unlikely, but who knows)

My theory is that there's a naval path. You can go from Mumbai to the lake to the river on the deer to the Ocean. Then that Ocean has connection with Antium. It's either that or the Citadel created a naval path that wasn't deleted by the game later (which i find unlikely, but who knows)
Good guess... Indeed it was the citadel that opened the naval path. Deleting with IGE didn't change anything. The path is open until a new tile improvement has been finished.
Spoiler :
1.jpg

2.jpg

... or the Citadel created a naval path that wasn't deleted by the game later (which i find unlikely, but who knows)

I had a fort pillaged and was still able to put ships in the spot where it was. It was funny to see my caravel sitting on dry land. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom