New civ : Dagda's Tears

Downloading. It might be helpful to have instructions in the civilopedia on how to play them, and their basics.

What I did for my custom civilization was create a "Frozen Concepts" page. Mine is still a WIP as I create new features and then document them there. You could create a "Dagda's Tears Concepts" page as well. It would be easy to do- CIV4BasicInfos.xml contains all of the FFH 2 concepts.

I really like this civilization, both the idea and implementation. I especially like the unconventionality- having an entity represented by a civilization, having made an unconventional civ myself.

UPDATE: Smoke seems to block the forest munching and cause tears to be held for a lot longer than otherwise. Accidently had myself 3 get stuck in a smoke forest and they kept producing Digesting Tears for some 80 turns.

This one is solved. I'll post the new patch after i can find some of the other bugs.

EDIT: in patch 0.1.3

Downloading. It might be helpful to have instructions in the civilopedia on how to play them, and their basics.

You could read the first 3 posts of this thread to help you. I haven't written pedia yet. I'll trey to do it after bug fixing.

What I did for my custom civilization was create a "Frozen Concepts" page. Mine is still a WIP as I create new features and then document them there. You could create a "Dagda's Tears Concepts" page as well. It would be easy to do- CIV4BasicInfos.xml contains all of the FFH 2 concepts.

I really like this civilization, both the idea and implementation. I especially like the unconventionality- having an entity represented by a civilization, having made an unconventional civ myself.

I'll think about it.
For now, please read the second post for explanation and the third for the 100 first turns. It should help you.

I'd reccomend the same... I did it for Malakim+ and Doviello+, working on them for most now... Or rather, will be. :lol:

You could read the first 3 posts of this thread to help you. I haven't written pedia yet. I'll trey to do it after bug fixing.

I have, it was just a suggestion for later :D

Some more options.

Safe- Orcish Swarms, Barbarian world, Wildlands, Blessing of Amathon,

Unsafe- Living world (Instant Crash)

Also, I started a game on a duel pangea map, and I'm not seeing anything to settle into a city. Only the hero. However, with only the Living world option loaded, the city appeared.

Edit- Regarding Living world. With all the ones listed as safe AND Living world, it crashes. Without, it loads. Does the mod have issues with lots of options checked? Also, I just saw a barrow on dye. That MIGHT be a bug :lol:

May have already been reported, but when Falling from heaven (I notice that some words, like Tear's root, are missing a capital letter, like this one), has it's culture expand, I get a python exception in onCulturalExpansion:

Code:
	def onCultureExpansion(self, argsList):
		'City Culture Expansion'
		pCity = argsList[0]
		pPlot = pCity.plot()
		pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(pCity.getOwner())
		if pPlayer.getCivilizationType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_TEARS'):			
			finalI = pCity.getCultureLevel()
			if pCity.getNumRealBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_YOUNG_ROOTED_TEAR')) > 0:
				if finalI > 2:
					pCity.setNumRealBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_YOUNG_ROOTED_TEAR'), 0)
					pCity.setNumRealBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_ADULT_ROOTED_TEAR'), 1)
			if pCity.getNumRealBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_ADULT_ROOTED_TEAR')) > 0: 
				if finalI > 3:
					pCity.setNumRealBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_ADULT_ROOTED_TEAR'), 0)
					pCity.setNumRealBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_MATURE_ROOTED_TEAR'), 1)
			[COLOR="Red"]if City.getNumRealBuilding[/COLOR](gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_MATURE_ROOTED_TEAR')) > 0:
				if finalI > 4:
					pCity.setNumRealBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_MATURE_ROOTED_TEAR'), 0)
					pCity.setNumRealBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_ANCIENT_ROOTED_TEAR'), 1)

Should be "pCity.getNumRealBuilding(...".

Does the mod have issues with lots of options checked?

To tell the truth I haven't done anything with options, but it might be a side effect of other things.
I only played with my favorite settings so I will now have to investigate.

Found another bug. Dagda's Tear was analyzing a New Forest. The spell finished the same time I finished researching a technology. Thus, a C++ exception was caused when you tried to change my research progress, as I had no research progress. You might need an if statement here to check if you are researching anything in the first place.

Code:
def spellAnalyzeForest(caster,iNum):
	pPlot = caster.plot()
	pPlot.setFeatureType(-1, -1)
	pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(caster.getOwner())
	eTeam = gc.getTeam(pPlayer.getTeam())
	iTech = pPlayer.getCurrentResearch()
	[COLOR="Red"]eTeam.changeResearchProgress(iTech, iNum, caster.getOwner())[/COLOR]

Found another bug. Dagda's Tear was analyzing a New Forest. The spell finished the same time I finished researching a technology. Thus, a C++ exception was caused when you tried to change my research progress, as I had no research progress. You might need an if statement here to check if you are researching anything in the first place.

Code:
def spellAnalyzeForest(caster,iNum):
	pPlot = caster.plot()
	pPlot.setFeatureType(-1, -1)
	pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(caster.getOwner())
	eTeam = gc.getTeam(pPlayer.getTeam())
	iTech = pPlayer.getCurrentResearch()
	[COLOR="Red"]eTeam.changeResearchProgress(iTech, iNum, caster.getOwner())[/COLOR]

Corrected in patch 0.1.5, but as it should not happen so often, I'll wait for more corrections before release.

Thanks for your investigation!

Okay, I just had a slight tactical epiphany I'd like to share. From food bonuses: Shame Tears. Hunt forests with em for a fast army assembly. Not only does this award you even more Wild Tears for cleaning and combat, but they in turn give lots more Digesting. But thats not all, since they're summoned, they're also empowered by the Shame Tear (which I hope is intended).

Currently getting "feature absorb" spam in the event log, not pretty =(

EDIT*: Could we get some details on how research really works?

Update: I just got back to that "too much bareland" dilemma again, but unpillaged Bareland does have the Dry Tear's root. Could you make this count as Tear roads aswell, but perhaps limit it to halved instead of 1/6 movement cost?

Update: I just got Mind I on a Shame Tear from munching a lizard ruin. Now I have great person generation with Inspiration building. :o

Woua woua woua...

Okay, I just had a slight tactical epiphany I'd like to share. From food bonuses: Shame Tears. Hunt forests with em for a fast army assembly. Not only does this award you even more Wild Tears for cleaning and combat, but they in turn give lots more Digesting. But thats not all, since they're summoned, they're also empowered by the Shame Tear (which I hope is intended).

Yes, it is intended. It is also ntended however to convert the Shame mecanic to have a limited number of followers depending on level (usig the new 0.51 susyem for commanders). It is still on the todo list however.

Currently getting "feature absorb" spam in the event log, not pretty =(

ho :)
Ok, I'll check it again. I'll have to find a way to have logs for me and not for you :)

EDIT*: Could we get some details on how research really works?

ok, I will as suggested add a civilipeda secton for the Tears, but to summary:

the basic formula is as follow:

n = current number of alive digesting tears
b = number of tech increasing beaker generation (currently : TECH_EDUCATION,TECH_PHILOSOPHY,TECH_TRADE,TECH_MATHEMATICS)

beakers = n * (1.5 + 0.5 * b)

Update: I just got back to that "too much bareland" dilemma again, but unpillaged Bareland does have the Dry Tear's root. Could you make this count as Tear roads aswell, but perhaps limit it to halved instead of 1/6 movement cost?

Could you post a screenshot so that I see your developpment distribution ?
I liked the fact that the bareland was both the result of successful absorbtion and a backward effect on Tears also.

I'll check for the Dry Root:
+ can we make it easier for Tears to walk on
+ solve the pillaging pb => Done I think in patch 0.1.5

Update: I just got Mind I on a Shame Tear from munching a lizard ruin. Now I have great person generation with Inspiration building. :o

I haven't gone through the events yet, so that's why. I will do this part later (once the rest is OK :)).

v 0.1.6 released.
Thanks for all your remarks, bug finding and suggestions (I indeed increased the movement on dry root, but not as much as on living Tears).

The Jealousy tear is spelt wrong, at least when upgraded from wild.

Would it be possible to shift the city color vaguely? It gets a bit heavy on the green after a while I've noticed, and some name signs are half under the blobs too :p

First time 1% absorption reached, but now I cant seem to build more cities. Do I need Festivals for deeper rooting stuffs to continue?

Also, more of a FF thing rather than DT civ thing. While I appreciate things being rougher and more advanced in FF, having no normal goblins/warriors and scorpion clan goblins <everywhere> gets VERY annoying. They're not a true problem, but need some seriously extensive zerging. I can understand that they come in fairly early, but when they sometimes pop up right to you and then one of those bastards start pillaging and you cant do a thing it gets very frustrating. And thats not hard, thats poor techlevel/unitlevel scaling of the game IMO.
Random events and dungeons is a whole other bit alltogether as dungeons should be scary, but this...

I had poor luck and burned off 11 Wilds to get a fort in one turn that was giving me a lot of trouble... but now later on when I have Distress Tears, I just gun everything down before attacking and I can imagine just stomping anything that comes my way quite soon.
Have yet to test any other tech Tier 2 units, but getting Hunting in a few turns, however Im taking a break for the moment.

Rolling on Emperor, btw.

Another thing. If you got any ideas to make the city system more user friendly, that'd be worth tweaking IMO. This time around I've been more careful with unit placements and timing of the ritual, however I cant really help it when Im cleaning my territory of goblins and splat, useless city. =\

Top Bottom