1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

New Cumulative history Quiz VII

Discussion in 'World History' started by civ editor11, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

Not at all. It's a historical fact that these things appear in texts and that people believed them. History is about beliefs as well as events. In this case it is a historical fact that, according to the book of Revelation, 666 is the number of the Beast; whether the author of Revelation was right to think this is an entirely different matter.

2. Yeekim

Yeekim Chieftain

Isn't Antichrist the Beast of the Sea? :confused:

3. Plotinus

No - in fact the word "antichrist" does not occur in Revelation at all.

4. Yeekim

Yeekim Chieftain

Well, yes, but haven't the two (or three, actually) been quite mixed up historically? At least according to wiki (such as it is, I know...)

5. Plotinus

Yes, but then you're talking about the antichrist/Beast/whatever as understood by Irenaeus/Hippolytus/whoever. If literary or mythological images, characters, or tropes appear differently in different authors, then you have to be careful about what you say about them. You can't say that the Beast simply is the antichrist when the texts in which both of those concepts first appear do not so identify them - at most you can say, as you indicated, that later authors identity them. It's like saying that the Joker is the man who killed Bruce Wayne's parents. He is in one version of the story, but not in others.

6. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Martin Luther didn't need a middle name to be evil
    Catalonia<>Spain
    Sicily<>Italy
    England<>UK

or something to do with finances which I know Sicily and England share
    or maybe they have been owned by each other? France<>England and Catalonia<>Sicily?

7. Love

Love Chieftain

Martin luther was a douch.

8. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Fantasy Warlord

Backing up a little: John Paul II as the Antichrist? WTF???? I'm no great fan of the Papacy and Catholicism in general, but labelling the Pope as the Antichrist? Isn't that sort of a contradiction in terms?

9. Yeekim

Yeekim Chieftain

Ok, that makes sense. I was just a bit confused by your original statement that 666 is the number of the Beast and, as such, has nothing to do with Antichrist. :)
    Actually, Popes (and the entire institution of papacy) have probably been labelled as Antichrists more often than anybody else throughout history. :lol:

10. Atticus

Atticus Chieftain Retired Moderator

Naskra, could you give some hints? "Trivial distinction" sounds quite vague.

Some years ago I read book called Archimedes' revenge, which had quite hilarious passage about these beasts. I probably remember it wrong, but here we go anyway:

During the reformation a German monk was convinced that Pope Leo X was the beast, and to prove this he chose every Roman numeral from pope's name: LEO DECIMVS. They add to MDCLVI=1656. Then this monk noticed that he must add Leo's ordinal number, X, and it becomes MDCLXVI=1666. Now considering that M must be omitted as Mystery, it's DCLXVI=666.

At the same time some other monk knew that Martin Luther was the beast. He thought that every letter of his name must be coded according to it's place in the alphabet: A=1, B=2,..., but after K=10 (there's no difference between I and J) they increase by 10: L=20, M=30,... and after T=100 by hundreds: U=V=200, W=300... Now Martin Luthera= 30+1+80+100+9+40+20+200+100+8+5+80+1=674, so this isn't quite right yet. However, the monk was not deceived by the devil this time either, since he noticed that instead of I=9, it should be I=1. And again you get neatly 666. (Had to google little bit for this)

The book told that the latter monk was almost killed due to these views, and had to flee. He begun calculating the exact date of doomsday, and gained some following, but when the day came and nothing special happened, he's disappointed pupils almost killed him. After escaping for the second time he decided to quit numerology.

These are probably little bit coloured stories, or perhaps even complete fabrication, but it doesn't bother me.

There's probably somewhere in the net a machine to which you can feed names, and it tells how the beast's number is gotten from it.

11. Naskra

Naskra Chieftain

Hint:
    Also Vienna, Paris,and Budapest
    The answer is just the beginning.

12. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Treaties to Major Conflicts? or major cultural cities?

13. Naskra

Naskra Chieftain

Conflict is a relevant word.

14. sydhe

sydhe King of Kongs

A lot of those get their names from tribes. Do they all?

15. Love

Love Chieftain

Towns affected by the revolts 1848?

16. Dachs

Dachs Intelligence Officer

"England"? Really?

17. Love

Love Chieftain

Oops, missed the question because of that other discussion..

18. Supermath

Supermath A Circle Has No End

I know the Normans had some fun in England, France, and Sicily, but I don't think they were involved in Catalonia at all.

19. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier

Well, it's nearly been six days, so Naskra has to provide the answer or someone else is entitled to jump in.

20. Yeekim

Yeekim Chieftain

I'd appreciate the answer anyway...