1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New DLCs incoming (Gamespot article)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Falk, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Standard Small Continents with Low Seas has been my favorite map choice for some time now.

2. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

My main criticism of the "real" geography maps, like Eastern US, is that they are way too big (standard setting) and if I recall, there were little or no options to change the size. I don't know if these scrambled maps are the same way.

3. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

Weird. Why are the CSs all scattered to either top or bottom? Is that a norm for these maps? Doesn't make much sense...

4. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

Without looking at the script, I assume these map types treat the city-states much like the original "Plus" maps: they push them all away to the outer parts of the map and away from the mainland to allow more room for the civs.

5. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

These new maps will allow players in the mp lobby more options for maps to use rather than the usual pangea, continents and fractal. The new maps will also give random a wider variety of maps to choose from.

6. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

I think this would send bad mesage.

For example, if I don't consider map packs as good value for the asked price, its better to not give money. Otherwise sales figures will show that players want such content for that price, and in future we'll see more overprices packs instead of some other content that players will want as DLC

Vote with the wallet for content you like.

7. Tinker

Tinker Prince

8. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

Ahah, thanks for those! :D They look interesting, though I kinda wish they would be cylindrical... :sad: I mean, I understand why Eastern Asia and North America can't be, but Africa and Antarctica could work perfectly. Oceania looks to be a fun map script too, though it's kinda similar to Small Continents.

I'm not convinced about Western Europe and Earth though... Specially Europe, we already had a random Europe script from Gods & Kings...

Confirmation Bias, I'd say. Sure, the coincidence is interesting to note, but coincidences are to be expected when you have randomized starting locations. And, after all, you took note of the Dutch interesting starting position, but in your same post you had a screen shot of Brazil in the complete wrong place! Same with America...
    And that isn't really The Zulu's TSL - they are significantly to the south of that! That blue City-State is closer to The Zulu's TSL than The Zulu are! :p

9. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

The start locations on those maps are random.

Also, there's an additional Lua file in the folder which modders can probably utilize to randomize their maps created in WorldBuilder. It'll randomize everything, just like a scripted map, except for continental shapes, coasts, and rivers. It's called WB_Script_Randomize_Everything.lua.

10. Tinker

Tinker Prince

Yeah, gave it a few more whirls, and it was a fluke. That said, the exact same Amsterdam position seems to be a capital for some civ or another, so I guess the start location picker just likes that spot a lot :crazyeye:

11. Dralix

Dralix Killer of threads

I'd be shocked if they hadn't planned on releasing expansions from day one.

12. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

bougth this dlc
    small continents is good!

13. Princeofnigeria

Princeofnigeria The illustrious

As far as dlc goes for me, this is my thought process:
    No new civ?= no interest

14. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

The Oceania one doesn't actually appear to be a 'Scrambled' map, but rather a new map script for having a chain of islands. I can see Polynesia doing very well on this map script, with many opportunities to use their unique improvement.

I'm fairly certain that, as with the 'plus' maps, the intention is to put city states aside, and out of the way of the main Civs. That way the main Civilizations can engage each other without having city states in the way, taking up the good spots they would have settled.

15. Gort

Gort Emperor

I prefer the city states spread evenly across the world. Something like Pangaea Plus with evenly-distributed city states sounds pretty much perfect for me.

16. Scirocco16V

Scirocco16V Warlord

I'm trying to match the civs to these new maps. This is what I came up with. Any corrections or modifications?

Africa: Carthage, Egypt, Ethiopia, Morocco, Songhai, Zulus
    Eastern Asia: China, India, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, Siam
    North America: America, Aztec, Iroquois, Mayans, Shoshone
    South America: Brazil, Inca, Mayans
    Western Europe: Austria, Celts, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Rome, Spain, Sweden, Venice
    Middle East: Arabia, Assyria, Babylon, Byzantium, Egypt, Ottomans, Persia
    None: Greece, Huns, Indonesia, Polynesia, Russia

17. Scirocco16V

Scirocco16V Warlord

To fill out the lists some, I guess the following additions could be made:
    Africa: France
    Eastern Asia: France, Netherlands, Indonesia. Maybe Russia and Huns.
    North America: England, France
    South America: Portugal, Spain
    Middle East: Greece. Maybe Huns.

18. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

The Maya are not South America and should probably be on a North America map. I'm not positive whether Austria or Poland would be on the Western Europe map, it's hard to tell for sure.

19. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

small continents looks good, but the tectonics map script mod is still better. the lack of mp use is an issue there, though.

20. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Austria definitely is. Most of Poland, too. NE corner goes up to just south of Finland and keeps the coast near Estonia/Latvia. Most of Hungary would fit, too, if it is relevant at all to Austria...