New feature or Bug? Priest abound

Avahz Darkwood

Emperor
My last game every so often I would get a number of what appeared to be random T1 priest. For example on one turn I got 2 Thanes and 1 Acolyte. About 50 or so turns later I got 1 Disciple (my state religion) and 1 Acolyte. This happened a coupla times. Some happened in cities without the religion even there. The only thing I can think of is that it seemed to coincide with the completion of another section of the Alter, but I can not be sure of that. I must admit that they were useful in my conquest of the Lunan with their mini culture bombs.

I haven't been hitting cypher132's botanical herbs :crazyeye: so I wasn't imagining things... :confused:

Hmm, I have never seen that before. That is a nice bug to have. Currently I am 5 hours into an Infernal game where there is a bug that prevents me from having any priest units at all. I can create the Savant unit but no priests. Go figure, I have all the techs and incense but nada. Now it won't let me create a Tower of Mastery to end the game prematurely. I guess the game wants me to really work for the Infernal victory.

Acolytes pop up when the Order spreads, unless you have Righteousness (I think) in which case you get Crusaders. As to other priests? No idea.

I ran into this in one of my previous multiplayer games, couldn't figure out a pattern to it, but strangely it didn't happen to my friend the entire game. Might be attached to a specific civic choice or something, but I've been running similar civics on my current game and I haven't seen it happen yet...

You also need Order state religion to pop up free units for its spread. The chance is 75%. As for other disciples, I don't know. Crusaders pop up fanaticism onwards.

Hmm, I have never seen that before. That is a nice bug to have. Currently I am 5 hours into an Infernal game where there is a bug that prevents me from having any priest units at all. I can create the Savant unit but no priests. Go figure, I have all the techs and incense but nada. Now it won't let me create a Tower of Mastery to end the game prematurely. I guess the game wants me to really work for the Infernal victory.

Can't say that this is the reason but: Are you sure that Ashen Veil is your state religion. Hyborem starts with not state religion adopted so perhaps you perhaps simply forgot to adopt it (like I did a while ago).

edit: this won't help you with the ToM victory of course.

Ritualists used to need reagents instead of incense. Not sure if this has been changed.

No idea about the ToM thing though.

AFAIK only high priests and archmages need incense/reagents. T2 priests only need a temple and state religion.

From my experience; if a religion spreads to your city on its own, you now gain an acolyte (of that religion) rather than it just automatically giving that religion to that city. However, if the other civ actually sends an acolyte to that city and cast the "spread" spell, it works like it used too.

I haven't ever received priests, before, but it makes sense if it goes by what techs/resources that you/they have.

This mechanic may only work this way if you are running Theocracy. I usually am, and haven't really tested the actual mechanic.

I think you guys are missing his point a little bit- this has been happening to me too. The disciples aren't popping up after a religion spreads, they're just popping up at completely random times. For example- I'm playing on a continent with the order- RoK isn't anywhere near me, and suddenly a thane of kilmorph will just spawn in one of my cities. No religion spreading, no event, nothing.

Did you mod the game to make Disciples randomly appear?

no researching earthmother?

Nope this would happen even after researching earthmother (for me that is). After my initial report it has not happened again.

Also I think we would remember modding something like that =), it would require python and would have to be updated with EACH patch... (as in I couldn't forget it if I wanted to)

I think I have figured out the source of this. And I believe it is a very minor bug. When I play a game I will grant independence to cities across the seas. Doing this make them your vassals, but for some reason the game gives you a Tier 1 priest unit when [they research a new religion. The Vassal will still get their unit. In my last game I started to get the priests again and figured that this was the only thing different from my last game, so I tested it and gave FoL to one of them. Sure enough I got the priest.

Actually I was just looking at this code last night.

When someone researches a religious technology, Python executes giftUnit function. This function goes through all players and grants whatever the free unit is to EVERYBODY who matches the Civilization Type it is told to grant a unit to.

So if you play a game with all 3 Ljosalfar leaders (including yourself as one), you will get to FoL first and found the religion. Then you can trade Way of the Forests to each of the other Ljosalfar leaders, and the result wll be that each time you trade, all 3 of you will be granted a free Disciple of Leaves.

Later down the road, maybe one of them researches Way of the Earthmother after the Khazad had already founded it. You hadn't bothered because you have better things to do, but at the start of your next turn, for no reason at all, you find yourself in possession of a Thane of Kilmorph.

GiftUnit really ought to have the PLAYER number passed in, instead of the CIVILIZATION number to fix this irregularity.

Top Bottom