New Game- random leader:Roosevelt

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by joe6778, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Olfart

Olfart Black Briar Meademaster

Thanks for the very enlightening and informative discussions. I'm finally beginning to comprehend why I struggle at Prince. I've already been able to become more consistently win at Noble and improve my performance at Prince. One think that, at my advanced age I would be more patient at thinking before I play. Lord knows I've certainly learned that for most other parts of my life. Certainly, the challenges of Civ4 are why I keep returning in spite of extended forays into other games.

I am continually gratified at the patience advanced players in this forum have for new or struggling long time players. Would that this sense of community and charity extended into all of life. Thanks to all ladies and gents for your support.

2. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

lymond:
    Spoiler :
    I'd be thinking about settling pighorse 1SW of white dot, slower to start but a better blocking position (slow build monument working horses?) and dovetails better with Um.

3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

at pigs:

Spoiler :
    nah...I'd rather have pigs first. better city too. I don't see KK coming through there any time soon, especially on this level. Nothing around there close enough to warrant him doing so compared to what he has closer on his side

4. joe6778

joe6778 Prince

I'm ready to continue the game.

5. lymond

Hey Joe - Give me a couple of minutes. Over on the SGOTM at the moment. Make sure you read up everyone's stuff since last night.

6. lymond

Ok..Joe

Here's da plan:

1) Ulundi finishes Library and switch copper to pigs

2) Umma takes copper for one turn. (Ulundi will grow onto copper next turn)

3) whip Ikhanda now in Nob. OF will go into Monument

4) Axe near Nob starts heading north to protect workers roading to new city

5) Workers finish there roads. Then far S worker moves 1N of rice to start road. Worker above him can reach forest N of that tile to start road there

Take your actions this turn, hit end turn, make adjustments and then post so I can check and then show you something

edit: Oh and send settler N through Nob toward city site I marked for you

7. joe6778

joe6778 Prince

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

8. lymond

Well, you missed a couple of steps there, but all is okay

Ulundi was supposed to take the pigs back last turn and start moving Nob Axe North a bit for worker protection.

So this is what I wanted to show you:

Spoiler :

See in the Top Left panel of the city screen below the sliders. You see Krakorum with 2 commerce. That is a foreign trade route and it is worth more. That is more Juice for you and Juice is good :) That means more gold or more beakers. Sooner you get that the better

9. joe6778

joe6778 Prince

BTW- when I try to open my saved game from the attached save file, it starts Warlords and it doesn't have my save lsted. Am I doing something wrong?

10. lymond

Hmmm...I don't know. That is odd. But..you know..ever since Gamefly updated the online version of Civ, I've had to open BTS or whatever first before loading a save. I used to just click on any save and BTS and the corresponding mod would load automatically.

Only thing I can think of is that your computer is not correctly identifying the file type. I actually had that problem and had to go into Control Panel somewhere to fix it.

However, if you have BTS open and just load it from in game and it is working, then there should not be a problem.

11. lymond

Another thing, is you may have had that problem at some point in the past - the one I just described - and use the "Open With" feature in Explorer, but used Warlords instead of BTS option. That is easy to fix

12. joe6778

joe6778 Prince

Yeah I have to restart BTS every time and load my save from there. I thought I could just load it from my attachment.

Anyway, I kinda knew about foreign trade routes. I usually build custom houses for even more commerce later.

I have to try to memorize all the instructions and then implement them in the game, so sometimes I forget a couple of steps. I guess I could write them down.

13. lymond

Well, just close out to the Main Menu and alt-tab out to download a save.

You can also alt-tab out to check your steps :).

I do that constantly. I assume you are on a Vista + machine

14. joe6778

joe6778 Prince

Didn't know about alt+tab.

So should I just settle my next city and then post?

15. lymond

Yeah..we are getting there. I'll give you some thoughts on a more of an extend plan so you can play a few turns.

First, on second thought, you are about to settle your 4th city, so you need some more workers. In fact, I want you to get 2 here soon.

So instead of Monument in Nob, use that bit of OF to get out a worker pretty fast. That way those 2 guys can focus on a fast road to new site and then get that pigs up asap.

The new city will start a monument asap.

Grow Ulundi to size 4. Take back pigs and copper next turn and build a 3 turn worker before library.

Umma can work copper this turn still and finish Axe now then continue library. Umma worker finishes cottage and then moves to mine Gold (you will have border pop at same time). That gold is gonna give you an extra :) woot!

Play until Library finishes and stop.

Oh...and that warrior in the far SoutWest. I totally missed him. He never should have been there anyway. Either move him back home or delete him. He could be MP for some city later, but he is just costing you money right now.

Lastly, you will continue running binary (0% research) until the library is done. This allows you to amass a nice chunk of change and then use that gold after your beaker multiplier (library) is in place.

16. lymond

And make sure Ulundi takes back copper next turn ..and pigs if it hasn't yet..and uses that to build worker

Umma will use flood plains for now - after this turn - and then work gold mine soon. make sure you are working those cottages

17. lymond

Also, it's important to give your thoughts and ideas as you report. This should be an interactive process as opposed to just regurgitating my plans. Yes, you might be wrong some, but at least you will learn why you are wrong.

The idea is that I want to know what is going through your mind at a given point. Your concerns and questions. what you think should happen

18. joe6778

joe6778 Prince

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Time to start whipping?

Attached Files:

19. joe6778

joe6778 Prince

When library completed, city went to size 5.

Also, shouldn't I research masonry now to work that stone?

20. lymond

ok..checkin'