• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

New (less controversial) method of stem cell research developed

farting bob

ThEy MaDe Me Do iT.
A new technique used by stem cell researchers might cool down the very heated debate over the use of embryos between the scientists and the stupid pro life people.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4174400.stm
Stem cell research hybrid hope

US scientists believe they have found a less controversial way of creating embryonic stem cells by using skin cells to create a "hybrid" version. The Harvard University team fused lab-grown embryonic stem cells with the adult cells to create the new stem cell, Science will report this week.

Researchers believe these hybrid embryonic stem cells could help disease research without using human embryos.

But UK experts warned the hybrid stem cells were not a perfect match.

Stem cells are "master" cells that can become many kinds of tissue.

Those harvested from early stage human embryos have the potential to become any kind of cell in the body.

Scientists hope that replacement tissue made from stem cells will one day be used to treat a host of diseases, including currently incurable conditions such as Parkinson's and diabetes.

The authors reported: "The hybrid cells had the appearance, growth rate, and several key genetic characteristics of human embryonic cells.

"They also behaved like embryonic cells, differentiating into cells from each of the three main tissue types that form in a developing embryo.

And they added the new technique "may circumvent some of the logistical and societal concerns" that have hampered research.

But they admitted it would be years before the technique could be used in research.

Ethics

Critics of embryonic stem cell research have argued it is not ethical to create human embryos for stem cells only to destroy them.

This method uses existing stem cells to reprogramme the skin cell.

Professor Ian Wilmut, who cloned Dolly the sheep, from the Centre for Reproductive Biology at the University of Edinburgh, pointed out that the newly generated cells had twice the normal number of chromosomes.

He said at present there was no known way to remove the chromosomes that were not wanted.

But he added: "The important use of this approach is to study the mechanisms that cause a cell to change from one type to another, the process that involves `nuclear reprogramming'."

And he said the findings should not deter the scientific community from carrying on using current techniques for disease research.

Professor Miodrag Stojkovic, deputy director of the Centre for Stem Cell Biology and Developmental Genetics at the University of Newcastle, said: "This is interesting research which will help us understand how the nuclei of adult cells can reprogram.

"However, these cells would not be useful for stem cell treatments, because they are abnormal. These cells have 92 chromosomes rather than the normal 46."
Well what do people think? good, bad, or indifferent?

I still see its still wrong to use embryonic stem cells in this procedure.

Perfection said:
It's good science, and may have potential applications, but I fear it may be used as a weapon by the religious right.
How could it be used as a weapon?I wanna know since I am right wing and religious. :crazyeye:

This will do nothing to stop the religious institutions who are already berating advocates of stem cell research.

CivGeneral said:
I still see its still wrong to use embryonic stem cells in this procedure.
What's wrong with that? It's not like the embryos would've become humans anyways.
Savage Discipil said:
How could it be used as a weapon?I wanna know since I am right wing and religious. :crazyeye:
They would try to restrict processes to ones that reduce the amount of embryoes consumed in a first step to outlawing embryonic stem cell research. The first step and steps thereafter would be detrimental to research.

Perfection said:
What's wrong with that? It's not like the embryos would've become humans anyways.
Its still killing human life in my eyes.

CivGeneral said:
Personally, i feel the same way, but I think that this might ultimately help lead to techniques to create stem cells from scratch, instead of destroying embryos or something like that.

Of course, it's probably just wishful thinking, but who knows?

CivGeneral said:
I just can't see ho a clump of cells smaller then gnat is a human life wrthy of legal protection.

Perfection said:
I just can't see how a clump of cells smaller then gnat is a human life worthy of legal protection.
Its still human life. Even in God's eyes its still kiling humans. I see human embryos as worthy of legal protection because they possess a possibility of human life. In a secular mind set, I see that life beguins at conseption.

Perfection said:
I just can't see ho a clump of cells smaller then gnat is a human life wrthy of legal protection.

I think he means that it is stagnating the development of the human, therefore rendering it useless and killing it.

Might as well go for the most effective route, since no matter how you do it, the religious right will whine. *sigh*

CivGeneral said:
In a secular mind set, I see that life beguins at conseption.
How is tgat a secular mindset when it involves god?
Japanrocks12 said:
I think he means that it is stagnating the development of the human, therefore rendering it useless and killing it.
The question is not weather it will it become a human, but is it a human.

Perfection said:
How is that a secular mindset when it involves god?
I had that mindset before I found God and when I was still an agnostic. Not everything revolves aroud God you know.

CivGeneral said:
I had that mindset before I found God, and when I was still an agnostic. Not everything revolves aroud God, you know.

How did you justify it then?

Perfection said:
How did you justify it then?
I just beleve that life beguins at conseption, because of the fact that the mitocondria is still active in the egg. To me, the activity of the mitocondria is what makes that organism alive.

CivGeneral said:
Its still human life. Even in God's eyes its still kiling humans. I see human embryos as worthy of legal protection because they possess a possibility of human life. In a secular mind set, I see that life beguins at conseption.

Maybe you should stop whacking the one-eyed snake then.. :mischief:
You're killing many possible humans.

That was a joke, by the way. :blush:

CivGeneral said:
I just beleve that life beguins at conseption, because of the fact that the mitocondria is still active in the egg. To me, the activity of the mitocondria is what makes that organism alive.
that's a silly definition. Then sperm cells and egg cells must be considered human life worthy of legal protection.

Top Bottom