New Trait/Civ Mechanic (or replacement/supplement for dwarves)

QES

Court Jester
Cosmopolitan/City-states(rename the civic)/Underground

Basic Idea:

That city buildings/rituals/units become the primary focus of the civs production rather than city tiles. In this - only the 1st ring around a city tile itself are workable, all other production is generated through buildings.

Seeking:

-Fun found in a different method of management of cities/space.
-Small pockets of territory rather than large spans.
-Fully functional and independent cities.
-Possibly Unique forms of transit/transport

Avoiding:
-Mirror of Kuirotates
-"Same Old" feeling
-Imbalance

Possible Method:

-Limit Workable Tiles to 1 ring outside of City (10 tiles total)
-List of completely new buildings - perhaps replacements for "all other" buildings which would Give directly what the origional buildings would enhance.
-Longer list of rituals (civ-specific)
-Small list of "repetable" building functions that are not units
OR
-Small lists of units that have fun 'sacrificial' abilities that function in a productive manner.

Unique Forms of Travel:
-Possibly invisible roads - that make units that travel along them invisible. This would have to be limited, so that it couldnt be spammed all over (unless specifically desired).
-Possibly upgradeable roads.
-More "unit-carriers:" including across land.

Unique Improvements:
Would still need workers to build improvements, including the standard.
-Traps - a small list of traps that look like other improvements but will harm/cause events to enemies. (Recon units shouldnt be fooled - and i'm not sure how to get the AI to be fooled, except by recon units - perhaps make them "invisible" with an additional "visible" graphic.)
-Hideouts/decoys: Look like standard improvments except provide no bonus and make units in the tile invisible.
-Improvement that generates Culture.

One Idea for A building:

Dwarven Tunnel System- (Dwarves only)

Allows all dwarven units in the city to paradrop within 4 spaces. (0% chance of interception, it's not through the air).
The dwarves use hidden tunnels to access anywhere within the city's domain. They cannot return to the city through the same methods however, for fear risking the locations of the secret exits.

Just a fledgling idea.
-Qes

There's a modmod out there that uses a 1-tile ring, something to do with giants....

As for whether it seems prudent to use for dwarves, well, obviously it doesn't for the Luichirp. The Khazad are more deeply connected to their underground brethren, but they're essentially exiled and either not welcome or not willing to return there. I just don't see it working.

Plus, 1 tile ring cities would be a giant problem to balance. You need to lower mainenance, first of all, but you should probably make settlers cheaper, too... they all take longer to build everything...

Although the idea does have merit. Actually, I would see it as more applicable to, say, the Elves or Elohim, though. These "nations" really are nothing of the sort; rather, they are widespread collections of people with the same ideals (elves are generally split in half, but live everywhere; Elohim guard holy sites but don't really have a homeland). Thus, they lack the large cities of the other nations and instead would have tiny kingdoms/princedoms/Elvendoms all over (feudal states are assumed, here).

There's a modmod out there that uses a 1-tile ring, something to do with giants....

As for whether it seems prudent to use for dwarves, well, obviously it doesn't for the Luichirp. The Khazad are more deeply connected to their underground brethren, but they're essentially exiled and either not welcome or not willing to return there. I just don't see it working.

Plus, 1 tile ring cities would be a giant problem to balance. You need to lower mainenance, first of all, but you should probably make settlers cheaper, too... they all take longer to build everything...

Although the idea does have merit. Actually, I would see it as more applicable to, say, the Elves or Elohim, though. These "nations" really are nothing of the sort; rather, they are widespread collections of people with the same ideals (elves are generally split in half, but live everywhere; Elohim guard holy sites but don't really have a homeland). Thus, they lack the large cities of the other nations and instead would have tiny kingdoms/princedoms/Elvendoms all over (feudal states are assumed, here).

Yeah I figured it was more geared to a new civ. But i just see it being "turtlelicious." And that made me think dwarves.

Maybe it's time for a new Elven and Dwarven faction to appear.

Deep Dwarves and High Elves (if they even exist in Erebus)

Deepdwarves could use the mechanic listed - (and be innately evil) and the high elves could...well use something else, and be innately good. Then there'd be an alignment choice for each (fun race). Not sure there's anything higher than the "Light Elves" considering the dark ones.

Meh, just an idea.
-Qes

Good luck. There was a thread, oh, three weeks ago or so that asked if the FFH team was making any "major changes". Basically, the response was no - maybe a few more along the lines of Tolerant/Elohim, but Kael and Co. are more concerned with spit and polish, balancing, unfun stuff like that.

So, the gist is that new civs: almost no chance. New mechanics for civs: rare, but rumor has it Kael has at least one more semimajor fix planned (plus the elusive Illians) - and the Kuriotates are definately going to be looked at a bit, to deal with naval issues if nothing else.

Awesome ideas. I'd love to play a Dark/Deep Dwarves race, and High Elves would be great too... I think Vehem has something in mind with a new cold elves race as well :D

"And they call it a 'mine.' A 'mine'!"
-Qes

[to_xp]Gekko;7257860 said:
I think Vehem has something with mind with a new cold elves race as well :D

Heh - I mentioned it once, after something mentioned in #erebus... I wouldn't say it was planned yet... :D The first mention of "Cold-Elves" just meant "Elves near tundra/snow".

#Erebus said:
[11:41] Gekko: concerning deer, I think elves should only build fyrdwell with deer and not the arctic one
[11:41] Gekko: can't quite figure them riding moose :D
[11:41] Vehem: Was thinking more Reindeer...
[11:41] Vehem: Which have been domesticated for a few centuries in arctic countries...
[11:41] Gekko: wait I'll check wiki for reindeer XD
[11:42] Gekko: ah, caribous
[11:42] Gekko: umh dunno
[11:42] Gekko: elves are gracious and nimble
[11:42] Vehem: So was Rudolph :)
[11:43] Gekko: they'd probably like gracious deer only
[11:43] Gekko: then again maybe I'm messed up by never seeing Bambi
[11:43] Gekko: LOL
[11:43] Vehem: Hehe
[11:44] Vehem: Either way - going to leave it as both for gameplay purposes
[11:45] Vehem: Means that cold-elves still get the benefit
[11:45] Gekko: yay cold elves are kewl
[11:48] Vehem: I quite like that as a theme for a civ actually
[11:48] Vehem: A sect of elves formed in the Age of Ice that briefly sided with Mulcarn, but then turned against him and was scattered by the Illians...

There was a lot of talk about the Kuriotate settlements in another thread.
Maybe those should simply be one-ring cities with halved maintenance.
That would solve the issues about boat-building and allowing defensive outpost to create a few units.
Maybe outlaw wonders, heroes or anything else "exceptional" there, especially religion founding.
You'd have incentive to start cities as settlements for the reduced maintenance and promote them as they grow, too, which makes a lot of sense to me.

Top Bottom