1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Unit: Legonarii Fulminata

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by Dom Pedro II, Jan 7, 2004.

1. ShiroKobbure

ShiroKobbure Still modding Civ3

I cannot wait for his korean and chinese
    T_T everytime I start to play my game, I find cool things to add
    so I keep editing

2. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

The name sounds just fine :goodjob: :spank: Great Unit couldn't of done better myself!

3. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

The name sounds just fine :goodjob: :spank: Great Unit couldn't of done better myself!:lol:

EDIT: OOPSS Doulble post :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

4. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

And now a word from Thorgrimm

Gentlemen, the name that has been argued about comes from the Latin Saying "terra Fulminata" which according to a friend who is a professor of Latin at the university of Minnesota, means "earth armed with lightning." Now considering that the inventor of gunpowder witnessed the eruption of Vesuvius, which gave him the inspiration for it, the name is apropriate. And he also stated that the gender question does not hold with inanimate objects, as the Latin of the Ceasers was different from the Latin most people speak today. He also stated that the Romans would probably describe their troops as " Legionarius Fulminata". Meaning Armed with lightning, as a descriptive term for the UNIT, not the man, so i will be calling mine Legionarius Fulminata. Legion armed with lightning.
    Cheers Thorgrimm

5. Dom Pedro II

Dom Pedro II Modder For Life

:lol:

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn.

... The Latin "spoken" today is "Italianate" -- we tend to pronounce "Cicero" "Siss-er-o" whereas purportedly the Romans would have pronounced it "Kick-er-o". Likewise Caesar's famous "Veni, Vidi, Vinci" ("I came, I saw, I conquered") would have been pronounced "Weenie, Weedy, Winky" -- and, for that matter, he would have been called something much closer to "Kaiser".

One might presume that habits of grammar etc. have likewise become codified ... ?

-- Just guessing :hmm:

:D ,

Oz

7. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

I would not say that even if I was payed to. God! Weenie, Weedy, Winky.

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn.

:lol: Well, I never claimed to be a Latin scholar ... where's Xen when you need him??

9. gorn

gorn quick & merciful

Think I'm going with the Italians on this one - Legionarius Fulminator sounds good to me. Whatever you call it, though, this is a fine addition! Combined with the Siege Tower & Ballista, this has been a FINE week for the Romans!

10. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

I still say the name sounds weird

11. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

The first thing I was told when studying Latin is that it is not the Latin that was used by the Catholic Church. C's are closer to a K sound, and V's have a W sound. Also, incidentally, there weren't any U's as far as I can tell (they just used more V's)

12. Dom Pedro II

Dom Pedro II Modder For Life

*shudders* I HATED Latin class for the almost three weeks I took it... the teacher kept hitting on me and it was really making me uncomfortable.

13. Mobilize

Mobilize Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Haha.. if you think Latin is weird try to learn Tsalagi (Cherokee)..

Boy, I really think we need to upgrade our language, phonetics suck, and the lack of ways to Tsalagify English words, bleh.

Dom, was this teacher nice-looking? If a teacher would be hitting on me, and was nice-looking, I'd be in her pants to get outstanding grades. :cool:

Anyways, I'm definantly going to make this the Roman arquebusier flavor unit for my upcoming mod.

A more Napoleonic musketman look for this unit would make a great Roman musketman flavor unit for my mod as well. As well as a Roman flavor rifleman. The Italian infantry is good for the Roman flavor infantry unit.

Can't wait til' the Hwarang. :)

14. Endureth

Endureth Warlord

Very Nice.

About that units_32 file? The one with the unit is the wrong one.

-E

15. Lusikka755

Lusikka755 Tired

That's what I have been trying to say too...

16. Startaff

Startaff Shogun

@ ozymandias:
    It's "Veni, vidi, vici", not "vinci". In Italy we don't pronounce it "See-se-ro" but "Chi-che-ro".

@ MarineCorps:
    Never knew that the inventor of gunpowder witnessed the eruption of Vesuvio. Who is this genius nobody else knows?
    Actually, in all the medieval military history books I read, invention of gunpowder was never credited to anybody else than the Chinese and several centuries after the eruption of Vesuvio!
    It's common belief that gunpowder invention came from some casual experimentation by a lucky (?) alchimist.
    I cannot see how somebody just looking at an eruption could have the idea of inventing the gunpowder.
    It's like saying that just looking at the sun, one can have the idea and invent nuclear fusion.

17. superunknown

superunknown Fake Plastic Head

Sigh.. ok listen, I dont want to pick a fight with anyone here, but I just cant bare to witness how you are beating up the latin language. So:

The only one in here who is totally correct as far as latin goes is Startaff. That is because he is italian. The rest of you are wrong in one way or another (xen probably being the worst, but he doesn't care).

As to the way latin should be pronounced, there are two ways to go. Either ancient latin (wich the romans spoke) or medieval latin (spoken during the middle ages obviously).
    The most apparent difference between ancient and medieval latin is the pronounciation of words (or letters).
    For example the word (or name rather) Caesar. In ancient Rome it would be pronounced "kaisar". In the middle ages it was pronounced "seesar", just like we do today.
    The grammar of latin has barely changed since roman times, so the language is the same today as it was then..

If you can say "viking", then you can say "Veni, vidi, vici" the right way. Its a "V" sound, not a "W" sound.

There, sorry for my rant.. but I couldn't help it. ;)

18. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Not the way Ceasar would have said it.

You said so yourself that there is Ancient Latin and Medieval Latin.

19. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

I guess he means the "right way" is either the Medieval way or the Ancient way...? But I imagine if it's Caesar's saying, then maybe there's something to be said for his way being the "right" way... :crazyeye:

20. superunknown

superunknown Fake Plastic Head

Alright, I admit, that sounds confusing (my fault), let me clear it out:

I was referring to the "V" sound, wich is the same in ancient and medieval latin. There is no "W" sound in the latin language.

Forget about the "right way" of saying it, just consider that Caesar spoke ancient latin, and he's the one who said it. And he would have pronounced it thus: "Veni, Vidi, Viki".
    In medieval times it was: "Veni, Vidi, Vichi"

I would sell my soul to go back in time and hear him say it.. :D