New v1.74 Mac Patch Available for Civ4 'Vanilla'

Has anyone tried doing a full install of leopard. Have 10.4.10 on an external or internal secondary drive. change the startup disk from 10.5 to 10.4.10. Then install the 1.74 patch using 10.4.10. Once done switch back to 10.5 and see if it works? granted the install of 1.74 should work on 10.4.10 unless aspyr did something wrong. Since the patch should ask you where you want to install it, that should work as well. If anybody tries this let me know if it works. thanks

I've had a reply from Aspyr. Basically, it says Civ4 was not designed to run with Leopard, and have a nice day.

Heh, well, thats great news, because both the Warlords installer, and the Sims 2 patcher both do the same thing.

Has anyone tried doing a full install of leopard. Have 10.4.10 on an external or internal secondary drive. change the startup disk from 10.5 to 10.4.10. Then install the 1.74 patch using 10.4.10.
I'm sure that would work OK, if you still have Tiger around. I did a clean Leopard installation on a second drive and migrated all my data from the Tiger disk into it, including my Civ4 installations, and that works fine. I still have the Tiger disk to boot into if I find any insurmountable problems in Leopard.

Here's an update from Aspyr. Bottom line is - download patch using Firefox, not Safari (No, me neither!), and copy the installer to your desktop from the mounted disk image before running it. Don't run it directly from the disk image.

Aspyr Support said:
We are aware of this issue, and are looking into solutions. Apparently, this is a bug in the way Leopard handles particular installers. This will take a while resolve and we will post a solution if possible. In the meantime, we have found that if you download the patch with Firefox choose "save to disc" instead of "open with" it will download a .dmg (disc image) file to your desktop. If you open the disc image and drag the 1.74 installer to your desktop and launch it from there, the patch will install. In other words, the patch installer is not working if the installer is launched from inside the downloaded .dmg file, but it will launch from the desktop. By default, Safari automatically opens .dmg files but there is a way to turn this off in the Safari preferences. We have gotten inconsistant results with Safari, so I really recommend using Firefox.
I am posting a Knowlegbase article about this today that will adress this temporary workaround.

I did a clean Leopard installation on a second drive and migrated all my data from the Tiger disk into it, including my Civ4 installations, and that works fine. I still have the Tiger disk to boot into if I find any insurmountable problems in Leopard.

I haven't bought leopard yet, waiting for all the bugs to shake out. I have always found migration better than updating. As they say murphy's law always applies. I will definitely keep 10.4 around just for problems. Interesting to note that Aspyr may have a workaround.

My guess is that the Firefox rather than Safari thing is because the default behaviour of Safari is to mount and run dmgs, whereas the default behaviour for Firefox isn't.

That shouldn't be a problem, as the workround happens *after* the dmg is mounted.

I installed 1.74 patch yesterday, after creating a copy of the 1.61 version just in case. I am now playing my first 1.74 version game. So far, I am quite unimpressed. The play is much slower, including lengthy pauses for no apparent reason... and this is in the BC era. The colors on the minimap are all messed up, as well. I'll play the game through and see what I think at the end. However, based on play so far, I am going to stick with the 1.61 version unless things get much better as I continue the game, since I only play SP and don't need to concern myself about multiplayer compatibility.

Yesterday I started up the game ereferred to in my previous post. Now the play is smooth and the minimap looks fine. Something must have gotten messed up in the first start of my 1.74 bad enough to mess things up but not bad enough to crash the program. If it recurs I will report back. BTW the Mac is a G4 Mac Mini with 1 GB RAM.

I've heard nothing. Aspyr don't seem to be prepared to talk to me, so maybe someone else will have more luck. Try posting in Inside Mac Games. Since Brad left, I think they read that forum, not this one.

Well, I sure screwed something up. :yup:

I am involved with a couple of PBEM games that are 1.61. I patched to 1.74 last night, after I renamed MacintoshHD/CivilizationIV & Applications/CivilizationIV and ~Documents/CivilizationIV. I didn't actually make a duplicate of the folders first :wallbash:, so the installer found and patched the original 1.61.

So now I need to reinstall the 1.61 version from my DVD - but I hate to say, I don't know how to go about this. Do I simply drag the CivilizationIV folder from the DVD onto the MacintoshHD? There is no installer icon or diskimage on the DVD :hmm:

This is the last time I try something like this after getting cozy with the vino :old:

Yup. Drag the folder from the DVD to /Applications. You may want to apply the last pre-1.74 patch as well.

Thanks Alan - That worked more or less perfectly. I had to do a little shuffling to get the saves into the proper PBEM folder, but I figured it out.

So I now have a dual install: Vanilla 1.61 and 1.74. I've also downloaded the HOF 1.74 mod, but haven't installed and tested that yet. If it's anything like the previous ones, I am confident I won't have any problems with it.

Thank you again, AlanH :hatsoff:

I clicked on that link but it said this:

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /files/aspyr/patches/Civ4_1.74.dmg on this server.

What should I do?

Here's an update from Aspyr. Bottom line is - download patch using Firefox, not Safari (No, me neither!), and copy the installer to your desktop from the mounted disk image before running it. Don't run it directly from the disk image.

Thanks..was about to do all this manually using pacifist but lucky I read the next page and your post. Works great now!

i've gone ahead and installed the patch and it went smoothly enough..so why when i do info-click on Civ4 does it still show up as 1.64?

Dunno. When I first did the upgrade I had the same problem, but later it gave the "right" answer. I don't know whether I rebooted in between.

I have installed the new patch but seems to crash on average 5 times per game. Not sure why. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom