New Version - November 17th (11/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I actually disabled most of my (potentially conflicting) mods just to see if VP is working on itself, and apparently it's working just fine, eventhough those same lines do appear in the log from this working load. So VP update isn't the cause of this CTD, as predicted. I also checked the MODS folder and there were no duplicates (or older versions) of any mods, so I'm thinking I'll just try and update all of them now that I updated VP, since if there are any outdated mods, they're the only copies there are.

I guess I'll just have to go through all of them one-by-one to see which one started to act up after updating VP. I'm starting to regret getting so emotionally invested in this selection of mods, haha. The game just doesn't feel the same anymore without all these added functions I've got so used to playing with.

I'm getting CTD's as well.

VP
Thal's
Quick Turns
Faster Aircraft

It's gotta be this release. I installed these mods clean. Happens around turn 250-300.

I experienced a CTD for the first time even before this patch with the previous one "11/10" - also I believe around turn 250-300 modern/atomic era. I couldn't get past it even though I tried to re-load the game, it just got stuck on Inca's turn and after a long time the game just CTD... I hadn't experienced this before 11/10, it doesn't mean it wasn't there, I just hadn't experienced it before. For instance: in the late game the ai sometimes (for some reason unknown to me) start to "think" a hell of alot and I have to wait several minutes for it to complete it's turn. The first time this happened to me I thought that the game was stuck and that I would have to press ctrl+alt+deI; but I decided to wait and see, and voila!, finally the game moved on. But this time was different, after installing the 11/10, it now didn't just get "slow" but actually CTD on me - which was too bad since I really wanted to complete my "domination victory".

The only thing I have ever touched when it comes to mods is the "VP- automatic installer" so it has nothing to do with other mods... I believe I have a save game if it would help.

I've started to get this error in lua log file, which has to do with the recent update of VP, specifically the core patch components (1):

Code:
[4350.171] Runtime Error: C:\Users\Olritoim\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(1) Community Patch\Core Files\Core Values\TechHelpInclude.lua:471: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
[4350.171] Runtime Error: Error loading Assets\DLC\Expansion2\UI\TechTree\TechTree.lua.

Not sure if this is something you guys also get, potentially causing the CTD, but unfortunately I haven't been able to completely sort my selection of mods to work together to test if that actually does anything game-breaking, and it isn't indeed caused by the mods I have.

I did find out that the error above occurs to me, at least, when opening the techtree popup.

My wild guess would be, though, that this isn't something you are experiencing, since I have a big bunch of mods and this is probably just because of them and some unavoidable conflicts. Still maybe worth checking.

I experienced a CTD for the first time even before this patch with the previous one "11/10" - also I believe around turn 250-300 modern/atomic era. I couldn't get past it even though I tried to re-load the game, it just got stuck on Inca's turn and after a long time the game just CTD... I hadn't experienced this before 11/10, it doesn't mean it wasn't there, I just hadn't experienced it before. For instance: in the late game the ai sometimes (for some reason unknown to me) start to "think" a hell of alot and I have to wait several minutes for it to complete it's turn. The first time this happened to me I thought that the game was stuck and that I would have to press ctrl+alt+deI; but I decided to wait and see, and voila!, finally the game moved on. But this time was different, after installing the 11/10, it now didn't just get "slow" but actually CTD on me - which was too bad since I really wanted to complete my "domination victory".

The only thing I have ever touched when it comes to mods is the "VP- automatic installer" so it has nothing to do with other mods... I believe I have a save game if it would help.
Yes, it would help. Please post it here: https://github.com/LoneGazebo/Community-Patch-DLL/issues
And the minidump, also (it's a file inside your steam/civ5 folder).

I felt that ancient ruin bonuses are imbalanced. When I get tech or production, it's too strong than others imo. Culture bonus is good enough, but if my warrior turns into spearman and I adopted Authority, I can get more culture than pure culture bonus. It doesn't feel balanced. Unless I adopted Authority, culture and advance unit bonus are still weaker than former two. Faith is quite neat because it makes me choose pantheon instantly. And experience bonus really needs buff.

Does Wire service provide +2 prod for friends and only +2sci for allies or also +2prod for allies, which would seem logical? From what I've seen, I only get +2 science as ally :/

I actually find the culture ruins by far the strongest (also faith, but its rare). If picking progress or tradition its really good, you pick up extra culture by having those policies earlier and it snowballs making a pretty large impact.

I also agree that experience ruins need changes

Well, it's easy to break all goody huts things, assuming you start next to 2f/1p tiles:
- 30 prod = 6turns worth of prod;
- 20 culture = 20turns worth of start culture;
- tech = 11 turns worth of science (random though);
---
- 70 gold (dont know if it's fixed or random) - 10 turns worth of gold;
- +1 pop - 7/11/15 turns worth of food;
- borders - up to 4 tiles - 150(?) turns worth of culture;
---
- unit upgrade - doesn't let you snowball and at that time I think you prefer scout over archer, at least I do; as Celts is awesome though;
- maps - total crap;
- xp - if there is 10 xp (didnt get it as Shosho for this test), its 2 attacks worth of xp, so it's half unit hlth, so it's like 2-3 turns worth of production;

For me it's like that.

It's 15 Culture (scales w/ # of Policies).
I agree that most of the other are good.

Maps aren't that small of a reveal to me. Saves some turns of scouting and tend to reveal other Ruins.
(Maybe it depends on how crowded you make your maps.

Unit XP is too small, not even good at 45 cap. At 30 could be good.

I'd like to liberate players from feeling compelled to settle on rivers in order to open up more interesting improvement play.

does the AI know about this? or are they still under the impression that settling directly on a river is always a smart move (the way it used to be)

Seconded.
If a free promotion is infeasible, what would be a good flat amount? 30XP?

ABOUT THOSE RUINS

I don’t agree at all with this talk about changing ruins… Just because all ruins doesn’t satisfy one’s gambling personality doesn’t mean that it’s “wrong” and therefore has to change. I really dislike the mentality that one should always be “rewarded”. Disappointment and failure is a part of life and I tend to think that those 10xp huts brings me down to earth whenever I get way to excited over something of minor importance.

I remember as far back as the year 1991, when one could pull a horde of barbs from those “huts”. I bet you guys were really crying then. Personally I believe I sometimes felt like loading/restarting the game because of it – and I bet I did too. ;)

I also don’t agree with some of the ruins being “unbalanced” since I have had the most craziest ruin runs and those techs, culture and faith etc. matters some turns yes, but they for sure doesn’t have you snowballing for the rest of the game. That kind of argument takes for granted that one is also making all of the “right” decisions for the rest of the game – and that’s just not possible since the game is way to complex and also the AI (if you supposedly got ahead of it) will catch up sooner or later… Winning the game is all about proper decision making and has little or nothing at all to do with those ruins you picked up 3000-4000 b.c.

So in the end I don’t see the need to change them at all… since the argument is only based on personal preferences. It will only cause unnecessary work for the modders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom