NHL 2005-2006 Season

Drewcifer said:
I don't think I will ever be convinced about shootouts though.

I saw my first shootout on Friday night and have to admit I liked it. It was damn exciting even though my Pens lost. My buddy was *****ing about it and I thought "would you rather it just ended in a tie 10 minutes ago?"

I was in a moderately crowded bar and about half the guys in the bar were watching the shootout, up from the 10% who were watching the game prior to that. Even the hockey ignorant nascar watching crowd in Carolina seemed jacked up by the spectacle.

Plus, Im looking forward to the spectacle of Lemieux & Corsby going one on one with a goalie like Broduer or Khabibulin without some curtain jerking AHL reject of a defenseman hanging on his back.

If it jacks up rating and increases Hockey's profile, I guess its all good for me.

joycem10 said:
I saw my first shootout on Friday night and have to admit I liked it. It was damn exciting even though my Pens lost. My buddy was *****ing about it and I thought "would you rather it just ended in a tie 10 minutes ago?"

I was in a moderately crowded bar and about half the guys in the bar were watching the shootout, up from the 10% who were watching the game prior to that. Even the hockey ignorant nascar watching crowd in Carolina seemed jacked up by the spectacle.

Plus, Im looking forward to the spectacle of Lemieux & Corsby going one on one with a goalie like Broduer or Khabibulin without some curtain jerking AHL reject of a defenseman hanging on his back.

If it jacks up rating and increases Hockey's profile, I guess its all good for me.

Not all of us are hockey ignorant:mad: , but I know what you mean;) .

joycem10 said:

As you probably know the Bruins and Pittsburg played yesterday and the Bruins won 7-6 in overtime...

If the Bruins hadn't scored in overtime and if they lost in a shootout, it would of really pissed me off that they came back like 4 times (twice from 2 goals down) and just lost in a crummy shootout.

Yeah, it "livens" up the game but it could kill a team that plays its heart out as a TEAM just to lose because of an individual.

It's not about Crosby, it's about the Penguins.

NHL is seeming to forget this.

do I get this right. with the new rules there will never be any draws, no matter what? even during regular season? I can understand shootouts during the playoffs for obvious reasons, but this seems a bit strange to me....

KaeptnOvi said:
do I get this right. with the new rules there will never be any draws, no matter what? even during regular season? I can understand shootouts during the playoffs for obvious reasons, but this seems a bit strange to me....
That is infact the case, any overtime game that ends in a draw will be decided by a shootout; both teams earn one point for making it to overtime.

dgfred said:
Not all of us are hockey ignorant:mad: , but I know what you mean;) .

Im more than willing to admit you're the exception that proves the rule. My apologies.

WildFire said:
If the Bruins hadn't scored in overtime and if they lost in a shootout, it would of really pissed me off that they came back like 4 times (twice from 2 goals down) and just lost in a crummy shootout.

Yeah, it "livens" up the game but it could kill a team that plays its heart out as a TEAM just to lose because of an individual.

It's not about Crosby, it's about the Penguins.

NHL is seeming to forget this.

If the Bruins would have lost after a shootout the team still gets one point that they had at the end of 4 on 4. There is no net loss to the team other than an extra point for a conference competitor.

What the NHL realized is thats its product was near unmarketable the last couple of seasons. If shootouts get the league more exposure, more fans or more time on sportscenter it will be a win for everyone. Like it or not, individuals superstars and personalities sell. The league should be doing more to pimp guys like Ovechkin, Nash, Crosby & Kovalchuk.

Drewcifer said:
That is infact the case, any overtime game that ends in a draw will be decided by a shootout; both teams earn one point for making it to overtime.

Not in the playoffs, right. Thats still going to be the same format as before?

Not the sign of the beast, for satan no less:eek: :satan:

joycem10 said:
Im more than willing to admit you're the exception that proves the rule. My apologies.

If the Bruins would have lost after a shootout the team still gets one point that they had at the end of 4 on 4. There is no net loss to the team other than an extra point for a conference competitor.

What the NHL realized is thats its product was near unmarketable the last couple of seasons. If shootouts get the league more exposure, more fans or more time on sportscenter it will be a win for everyone. Like it or not, individuals superstars and personalities sell.

Yeah I see your point and I agree just because I want hockey to be a bigger sport in the USA.

The league should be doing more to pimp guys like Ovechkin, Nash, Crosby & Kovalchuk.

You're kidding me about Crosby right? That's all anyone talks about when the NHL comes up...

Wicked game tonight between Ottawa and Montreal. The Canadiens came up short, but until Alfie iced it in the third, it could have gone either way.

Anyone else see an OLN game yet? Its like a high school football broadcast on local access cable. The sound is horrible, the graphics are laughable, the camera work is poor, the intermission set looks like it was put together by the McKenzie brothers and it has Mike Emmerich.

I used to think my local Fox Sports Net was bad. It looks like a paragon or production values in comparison.

joycem10 said:
Anyone else see an OLN game yet? Its like a high school football broadcast on local access cable. The sound is horrible, the graphics are laughable, the camera work is poor, the intermission set looks like it was put together by the McKenzie brothers and it has Mike Emmerich.

I used to think my local Fox Sports Net was bad. It looks like a paragon or production values in comparison.

I've watched two games on OLN;) . I agree that the set looks terrible and
the camera work has much to be desired, but the commentators are pretty
good and maybe the other stuff will improve. I've enjoyed watching the
games so far anyway, except the Hurricanes getting blown out by the
Lightning in the first game I saw:( . So far the new rules have made for some
exciting play in my opinion:goodjob: .

Now that I think about it, I watched the canes on FSN, not OLN-- but I have
watched two other games on OLN.

joycem10 said:

I saw the Pittsburg vs. Buffalo game on OLN - I loved ESPN much better!

ESPN had a decent intermission (of course, I would rather watch the game, but ok), good commentators, and pretty nice camera work. And of course: HDTV. ;)

I was thinking about the bad cameras for OLN right when I saw the game, good to know it wasn't just me.

Pasi Nurminen said:
I didn't think it was possible, but the Calgary Flames season just got worse.

Enjoy the bottom of the conference once again. :goodjob:

Sutter usually makes good moves, but even I am confused by this one.

If you thought Todd Bertuzzi was bad, just wait til you get to see Marchment in action. I don't think it's possible for him to go five games without injuring someone on purpose. It's amazing the league still lets him play he's done it so often.

So Pasi, how about that Canucks 6-0 loss to Minnesota? At least the Flames managed to score 3 goals against them :p

So what? Our first regulation loss of the season. If I recall correctly, the Flames have had three of them so far and have resorted to obtaining Bryan Marchment.

Top Bottom