No happy people

you wont be able to get a couple of warriors before the great wall finishes. unless you wish to cash it should be straight SH.

^ True. I was assuming we're most likely cashing out given it's a bit late, but we should probably at least give it a chance. If we go SH immediately, we can have it done in 12t working forested PH. I guess that gives reasonable odds of completion.

Edit: Man, I really hope we get GW, or we could lose this to a barb archer very soon with all the wonder madness. :lol:

At least we're spiritual, so after we get BW panic-whips are possible :)

Funny how this opening resembles my very first Civ games... Though the difference is that back then I didn't care if I had Stone/IND or not :lol:

Ok a funny set:

settled Thessa working plain hill for SH in 15 turns. Capital works on GW with max food, switching on max prod size 5 (nice math BBP, 8 turns ;)). Worker improved cow then riverside grass hill, working on the other one.
Thessa has an additional pig so is finally more than decent. Calendar resources spotted east, and Sally is just north of Thessa.

We got the GW:

and copper!:

then the funny thing: I had spotted a hut outside of Thessa so I waited the very last turn of the set to pop it for a possible IW (stopped at BW), but got 5 warriors or so :lol:... Good thing we have the wall!

SH due in 4 turns :)

Ras

Attachments

• OSS BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    95.4 KB · Views: 70
Nice! :) Those warriors can go bug Sal a bit.

We might actually nab SH. I'm pretty sure that would be a first in my Civ career. :D

That's really not where I expected his borders to be...

'Sup with all this food! :) This map almost feels handmade for our variant. And that Copper... I don't even remember the last time I've had capital BFC Copper!

SH would be quite nice indeed. Mostly for fighting that DAMN MADRASSA CULTURE... That can be totally ridiculous at times, combined with his religion-happy building spam.

About settling... I guess we don't have a consensus on that yet? I swear, every time I check this thread there's a new page in it so I'm not surprised if I've missed it... Anyhow, here's my 2 suggestions, 'this' and 'or this'. Former is the only sensible spot to get the grass hill and wheat, and the latter grabs land from Sally, overlapping the Thessa Pig. There might be a better spot a bit north if there's a hidden food resource.

Spoiler :

Shyuhe: I'm pretty sure the barb movement code checks that the target tile isn't protected by GW, though I'm just a tiny bit concerned as well :) There's also a possibility it will freeze there forever, that happens sometimes with animals magically entering culture borders.

Keeping my fingers crossed on the GW code - I know somebody's mentioned this issue before and I don't remember the answer any more...

Roster:
shyuhe
mysty
Silu
Ras just played
bbp - UP
Mutineer (on deck)

Otherwise, looks like we're in a good position with GW and possibly SH. I haven't done that since my prince days :lol: Constantinople should start the pyramids after this settler. Where do we want to plant city #3?

Keeping my fingers crossed on the GW code - I know somebody's mentioned this issue before and I don't remember the answer any more...
The barbs will be ported away when their turn comes.
It's ok although bad luck w/ the hut, some yummy tech would have been so much the better.

By the way: I think it's quite safe to build a worker before the mids if you get the stonehenge.

I hope obsolete see this game oO

Fact, builded GW kick barbarians out of border. So, we are safe.
Can I suggest put fishing before pottery? You may ask WTF we need fishing for? well, there my reasons:

1) fishing discount pottery.
2) fishing open Sailing.
3) fishing let create workboats.

I do not know how soon we will be able to trade anything, so reason to go fishing -pottery-writing -sailing is to give as opportunity to create trade routes.

sailing now open river trade, so if I understand it correctly we will need to explore river and coast to saladin in order to open trade routes. Trade routes = more income and religion spread.

in addition I believe we need to build coastal city soon and send workboat exploring.
I forgot how many times I beat myself for not exploring, as we could find contacts with out civ accessible by coast.

We can just road to him to open trades, certainly not worth going for Sailing. I really don't see Fishing as any kind of priority, I see no way our 3rd or 4th city is going to be coastal :) By the time we get a scout WB going, he's almost guaranteed to run into barb Galleys the way this seems to be shaping up.

Scouting is indeed important, but I think it can wait until we have something barb-proof to do it. With the GW and this huge land area we can just sandbox for a while :)

I also think we have time for some build before 'Mids. A Settler or a Worker most likely. The prod is huge and indeed the fact that we got GW and SH hasn't gone by 2000BC are very good signs. Probably a Worker over a Settler. :)

See my prev post for my city #3 propositions :)

I don't know about sailing, but I think fishing is ok for the 20% discount on pottery. We're in no rush for a granary or library, as Constantinople should go worker--pyramids and Thessalo should go SH--axe (warrior)--settler at size 3. Since we don't need cottages or a granary anytime soon, I'm ok with this order. Also, religion spread with OB but without active trade routes is unlikely, so there's no rush for OB since we don't even see Saladin's borders yet (much less have a road to him).

I'd like to put city #3 SW of the gold, as it's borders will pop soon enough and that position allows for more cities. That city can work those 3 resources to help foot our bills.

Got it. :)

I guess I'm ok with Fishing if you guys want it, but I don't really see that much of a point to it. We could be a long way from a coastal city here. So: Fishing / Pottery for my set?
I prefer Silu's location for the gold site. I thought we would settle gold next, as well, but Silu's other site makes some sense now, too. It begins to block Sal, and can double up on the pig... Still I'm for gold next, we need it online for cash.
If we wanna settle gold next, we really need some fogbusting there. I'd finish the queued warrior this turn, and send it there. The settler would follow it there slowly.
I'll finish the current mine before going for copper, then Thessa's pig. We don't really need this mine atm, but we won't lose any turns I think.
What do we do next in Thessa if we lose SH? Monument immediately or some units?
Otherwise, worker next in Constantinople, couple units in Thessa.

well fishing will cost very little, because it make pottery a bit cheaper. So, Even if we ignore sailing fishing would not hurt and give as additional option.
Hmm I see salladin border to the north.
If we loose stonehenge city to north become bad in short turn, because it would be a long time before we can improve/work any good ties there. that leave as with choice:
1) run to gold ( a bit far away as we did not move any warriors in that direction.
2) settle near sheep or corn on coast south, where we can improve ties immediately.
Near sheep is especially attractive as we can settle it with out having warrior about.
(you can settle next to barbarian units and it will be kick out next turn.)

If we wanna settle gold next, we really need some fogbusting there. I'd finish the queued warrior this turn, and send it there. The settler would follow it there slowly.

Well, you can already send the Settler, one tile at a time when we leave our borders. There won't be any more Panthers or Wolves ruining our day so it's safe in 99.9% of the time (barring some really ninja surround trick) if you don't go through hills or forests. With any luck whatsoever this gets it online a few turns earlier, and there's really no risk.

As for why my Gold city isn't 1S:

1) Prod will totally suck without the grass hill, and prod will be nice for us.
2) Makes the southern Wheat-overlapper city better and have more green
3 (minor) ) 1st ring Sheep

As for Fishing, it's OK by me when I actually think about it. :) Will delay the next few techs, but give a handful of virtual beakers from the point we would otherwise tech Fishing onwards. I'm starting to get what you meant by wanting to discover new ways of playing all the time, Mutineer :)

If Thessa loses SH, then it should build a monument. It needs the wheat and pig to actually be a functional city.

Gold 1SW will have sheep and gold hill for production - not the best but not bad. It also frees up a city site just south of the mountains later, although it's a pretty marginal city site so I don't mind giving it up.

@bbp - I think fishing -- pottery is the consensus for techs. We won't be building a granary or library any time soon since we'll need workers and other wonders (blasphemy!) first.

@muti - I'd prefer to settle north or west given where Saladin is. The southern cities will be around later anyways so what's the hurry?

Well, I'd like a consensus on the next city. Sounds like shyuhe, Silu and me for gold, Mutineer for something closer, and others haven't said anything.

Also, we are agreed on chopping for Pyramids, right? I think one chop will shave 2t, and two would shave 3t. We have an even number of forests, so we might as well do 2 chops. Pyramids are too huge.

Oh I didn't even notice the forest growth. I'd chop the riverside grass and the grass hill. We might have to end up putting a lumbermill on that silk :lol:

Top Bottom