NotW LIV - The Masque of Death

Hey Winston, BL may be the Loyalists' MVP and Visorslash the game's most 'posty' player, but I think you get the prize for the most posts by a single person in any one game phase. :D

Hey Winston, BL may be the Loyalists' MVP and Visorslash the game's most 'posty' player, but I think you get the prize for the most posts by a single person in any one game phase. :D

Yeah, I think reading all those Champions Games over at 2+2 may have affected me somehow. :smoke:

Great game, btw. Jaw-dropping finale lined up, I hope...

This is the most posts I've had in any game ever. I credit this to the no PM'ing rule.

My one fear is that Winston is innocent and we actually have to eliminate all the traitors ourselves to win, so the game ends with a tie on a technicality.

Day Seven

Winston Hughes: Backwards Logic, Autolycus, Snerk, Legato Endless (5)
Legato Endless: Winston Hughes (1)

After much discourse between the remaining guests, Winston was almost unanimously voted to die. As the guards closed in on him to do their grim business, a single chess piece fell from his hand and rolled along the polished floor until it came to a stop. It was a castle made from fine white ivory and, unlike its late owner, it had escaped unstained.

Winston Hughes has died!

The four remaining guests returned to their quarters and awaited their final night as the guests of the Emperor.

Night Seven ends: [TIMER=5/28/2015 11:15 PM GMT+1; Night Seven over][/TIMER]

(Yes, you read that correctly. If I can get in all three possible actions within the next hour, I can end the game this evening.)

Night Seven

The night passed without incident and almost all the guests stayed in their rooms overnight, Backwards Logic having taken the added precaution of setting holy wards about his quarters.

The next morning, only three of the guests collected in the now yawningly empty ballroom - Backwards Logic, Legato Endless and Autolycus. Snerk, it seemed, was missing! With the ball over, they removed their masks and revealed their identities.

Backwards Logic was the Inquisitor. He had been wearing the Scarlet Mask.

Spoiler loyalty :
He was a Loyalist!

Legato Endless was the Chamberlain. He had been wearing the White & Gold Mask.

Spoiler loyalty :
He was a Loyalist!

Autolycus was the Servant. He had been wearing the humble Brown Mask.

Spoiler loyalty :
He was a Loyalist!

The three of them hastened to Snerk's room, where they found the discarded Harlequin Mask and his invitation, indicating that Snerk was indeed the Merchant.

Spoiler loyalty :
He had fallen into heretical worship and had become the Dark Cultist!

As they looked up from the Merchant's papers, a dark form dropped from the ceiling and hissed at them. The Chamberlain summoned a burst of magical light and Snerk was revealed, now wearing the Ancient Mask!

Spoiler loyalty :
Wearing this hideous mask had transformed him into the Awnshegh!

The twisted villain before them clutched the vile dagger that had cursed the Inquisitor with a wound that would never heal and then turned and dived out of the window, transforming amidst a cloud of feathers into a large black raven. The raven cawed loudly three times and flew away, its mission ultimately a failure.

The Traitors have been defeated!!

Oh thank god... :lol:

Excellent game Arakhor! One of the best I've had the pleasure of playing for a very long time.

Depending on Legato and BL'S stats, it was theoretically possible right up until near the end. If I'd switched to the Sable mask and hidden behind someone, and Snerk had killed us both. It would have been in line with how muddled I was all game long.

The Endgame

Universal Loyalist PG: If you do not reveal your identity and the Loyalists win, you will complete your goal. Every Loyalist except Spaceman managed their PG, though a couple of people were really pushing the borders of not role-revealing. Both of them, not to mention any names, had two-word user-handles and were both arcane spellcasters. :mischief:

Assassin PG: There are three that deal in information or protect the innocent and they pose the greatest threat to you. They should be eliminated with all haste. These were the Knight, the Magician and the Spy. KM, despite dying on Day One, posthumously completed this goal.

Awnshegh PG: Ensure that the Empire's three most influential nobles do not live to oppose your ascendancy. These were the General, the Politician and the Chamberlain. Newyn was denied his goal, though it was a bit dicey in the last day.

Dark Cultist PG: The leading clergy of the Imperial Pantheon must die to allow your dark religion to take over. These were the Hierophant, the Inquisitor and the Priestess. Poor old Snerk, he did try to complete this goal so many times and he'd even figured out that BL was the Inquisitor, but it just wasn't to be.

Victory levels

If I assume that the Loyalists scored a minor victory and the Traitors scored a minor defeat, with the added caveats that dying before the end reduces your victory by one level and completing your PG increases it by one, then we can establish who did the best at the end of the game.

Major Victory: Backwards Logic, Legato Endless, Autolycus (survived and completed their PGs)
Minor Victory: Riedquat, Bladescape, BSmith1068, Sprig, Coyosis, Choxorn, Takhisis, Visorslash, Winston Hughes (completed their PGs, but died in the effort)
Draw: Spaceman98 (for winning the game, but dying and failing his PG)
Minor Defeat: KingMorgan (for completing his PG, despite dying first), Snerk (for failing his PG, but constantly refusing to die)
Major Defeat: Newyn (if you have the blood of the Dark God, have you really lost?)

This was a lot of fun. Huge props to Arakhor for delivering a fun, well balanced and intricate game for his first game as host! There were a few minor things that had to be decided along the way, but it all worked out well. Looking forward to your next game. in

Tip of the hat to my scum buddies. We took an early punch in the face, but we came really close to victory on a couple of occasions. But overall the town put up a good fight and got a well deserved win. Well played everybody!

After Visor died the game was pretty much decided and I spent the final days pursuing my PG. Again, close but no cigar! But it was still plenty of fun.

Good Game Arahkor, as I said in the dead thread it was very interesting to watch the whole thing play out from the sidelines. Of course I was gutted to die on D1 after being given such a great role, it was real shame (for the scum) to lose a key role so early, but Snerk and Newlyn did a great job making the best out of crappy situation, town got off lightly imo.

Anyhows great game and thanks for hosting.

Top Bottom