NOTW LV: The Underground (Game Thread)

Backwards, you Magnificent Bastard. :p It's been a while since you were non-town in a NOTW game, but now I remember why Catharsis suggested that if you're a wolf you should start the game locked in a box and thrown into the Amazon River.

I'm sure autolycus will get around to quicktopics and role PMs and the like.

Backwards played a very excellent game, kudos to him.

My gut reaction (knowing perhaps a bit more than the town ;)) was this was absolutely fantastic in my opinion. Very interested in seeing it all and especially the isolationists, because the other gut reaction is that perhaps it was tougher on them with just 2 starting (though I assume the spores were risk-free, whereas double A did die in an attack).

I think I've particularly enjoyed all of autolycus's games. They seem to resonate with me.

Apparently my gut read on JHT was correct. I should have stuck with it and pushed for it. My indicisiveness killed me, and possibly the town

Honestly I'm surprised you guys didn't lynch him after I defended him for literally no reason.
Also Visor never got NK'd?

Alright, time for the wall of role PMS: Please don't post until I'm done, as I haven't decided if I'm splitting it up into multiple posts.

The scum:
Both teams had a team kill ability, the ax for the clan and the throttle for the isolationists.

Kennigit:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Mud golem
Player: Kennigit
VC:Clan of Embers Have equal to or greater total strength to enemies, or equal numbers if only A New Hope players remain besides you.
Strength:1
Ability: Snares: Night Ability, prevents target from taking any actions
PG: Block someone with an active ability

You are a Goblin! After rolling around in the mud, and fully caking yourself in it, you infiltrated the dwarven camp as the vanguard to the vanguard. After discovering their planned counterassault, you informed your mistress Sheelba (played by TheForestAuro), and she returned with the hunter Backwards Logic to destroy their resistance before it could even start.

All must burn before the wrath of the Orcs (and goblins)!

QT:The Brick Oven
Wound up being the primary killer for the orc team because BL wanted to use his ability.

Backwards Logic:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Hunter
Player: Backwards Logic
VC:Clan of Embers Have equal to or greater total strength to enemies, or equal numbers if only A New Hope players remain besides you.
Strength:2
Ability: Tracker: Night Ability see what actions, if any, targeted player takes
PG: Never use your personal ability

You are the right-hand orc to Queen Sheelba (TheForestAuro) Always short for an orc, this has finally come in handy with the need to prevent the mustering of the dwarvish armies, as told to you by the goblin Kennigit. While you are a hunter, for you the kill is more pleasurable than the hunt, so you'd like to do more slaughter and less stalk, now that war is here.

All must burn before the wrath of the Orcs!

Backwards Logic chose to sac his PG night one, and rode his personal ability all the way through until the last night, which was the only night he used the team kill.

TFA/Double A
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Lanun Refugee
Player: TheForestAuro
Ability: Set them ablaze! Strength-based kill. In case of tie you fail, but your id is not revealed. You die if you are weaker than the target.
PG: Never fail a kill

You are Sheelba, Queen of all the Orcs (at least if you ignore that brute Jonas Endain)!!! When the goblin Kennigit told you of the dwarvish massing, you decided you wanted to quell it yourself. Accordingly, you disguised yourself as a Lanun human and infiltrated the camp with your right-hand orc Backwards Logic. You'd like to burn some dwarves and listen to them scream, but it would be highly embarrassing if one managed to survive such an attempt.

All must burn before the wrath of the Orcs !

The orc team chose a high kill approach, but the alternative of just letting Double A use the team kill and the others have perfect townie alibis could have worked too. In the 16 player version, this role was removed. He would get scorched by anyone stronger than him (turning his torch back against him), but it happened to be the Dragon Boy :)

Jarrema:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Nullstone Golem
Player: Jarrema
VC:Isolationists! Have equal to or greater total strength to enemies, or equal numbers .
Strength:3
Ability: Null: Immune to all roleblocks
PG: Kill at least one of the Orcish invaders
This talk of an assault is madness. Garrim Gyr only agreed because he knew he'd be outvoted. Accordingly, he has sent you, his finest creation, along with his fungal ally johnhughthom to eliminate the leadership of the army, these pathetic upworlder refugees, and with them, this nonsense about taking the offensive. You suspect the camp's been compromised, and being designed for war, your purpose is best met by destroying one or more the declared enemy.

Here we belong, and here we shall stay!

QT:Leave us alone!

In the 16 player version, he was all alone as a SK. The Isolationists definitely were the weaker scum faction, but they did have the (minor) advantage of not being named in the opening.

johnhughthom:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Nullstone Golem
Player: Jarrema
VC:Isolationists! Have equal to or greater total strength to enemies, or equal numbers .
Ability: Poison: Reduce target's strength by one permanently, killing them if it reduces them to zero
PG: Never use the team kill

This talk of an assault is madness. Garrim Gyr only agreed because he knew he'd be outvoted. Accordingly, he has sent you, his fungal ally along with his finest creation jarrema to eliminate the leadership of the army, these pathetic upworlder refugees, and with them, this nonsense about taking the offensive. You have disguised yourself as a human priest from the Bannor lands, and will spread death to help your ally. However, physical assaults are not your style (poison's so much classier), so you'd rather let the machine do the brutality if possible.

Here we belong, and here we shall stay!

QT:Leave us alone!
The counterpart to TFA/Double A, our poisoner was straight-up better, and the bus-driver alibi was truly a pleasure to watch. He did it too well, and so the Clan took him down when they wanted to remove a townie.

The town:

Zack:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Wood Golem
Player: Zack
VC: A New Hope
Ability: Self_immolation: Night ability. Sacrifice yourself to publicly reveal everyone who took a night action that night.
PG: Be part of the group who takes down an enemy of the new Grand Army (lynch a scum)

You are a loyal wood golem in the Excellent Grand Army of Dwarves, (E. G.A.D.) You will help eliminate all threats and usher in a beautiful new era of Dwarf-led civilization, the fourth era. You also can can make fuel for a magnificent bonfire, in a pinch.

One of the weaker roles, Zack played an active part through to the end. The ability was certainly situational. I was very confused when he claimed he started out with 3 strength.

Legato Endless:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Iron Golem
Player: Legato Endless
Ability: Stand Guard: Night ability. Protect target
PG: Keep someone safe from an attack

You are a loyal iron golem in the Excellent Grand Army of Dwarves, (E. G.A.D.) You will help eliminate all threats and usher in a beautiful new era of Dwarf-led civilization, the fourth era. While not the strongest, you're durable, and therefore a good guard to protect another.

The only full power protector in the game, his inactivity early on and death after returning certainly didn't help the town.

Robbiecon:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Clockwork Golem
Player: robbiecon
Ability: Just keep ticking: Passive day ability: Immune to all day abilities
PG: Finely Calibrated: On at least two occasions almost get lynched (be the second highest vote-getter)

You are a loyal clockwork golem in the Excellent Grand Army of Dwarves, (E. G.A.D.) You will help eliminate all threats and usher in a beautiful new era of Dwarf-led civilization, the fourth era. Once you get started in the morning, nothing can stop you. You'd like to test your calibration, and that will require walking a close line.
Although it wasn't obvious, he was immune to Visorslash's, choxorn's, and riedquat's abilities.

spaceman98:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Gargoyle
Player: spaceman98
Ability: No erosion: Passive ability, immune to strength reduction
PG: Swift strike:Win before the end of day 6

You are well-designed flying golem of the Excellent Grand Army of Dwarves, (E. G.A.D.) You remained stationary for years, through wind and rain, and now your impatient to get moving and destroy some orcs!
Not the most exciting role, but still valuable. The lack of an active ability put a spotlight on him early.

Visorslash:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Slinger
Player: Visorslash
Ability: Stun: Night ability: You can reduce one person's strength by one for the next day and night. If their strength is zero, their vote loses effect, and they can't perform actions.
PG: Reduce an enemy's strength to 0

You are a top nature slinger in the Excellent Grand Army of Dwarves, (E. G.A.D.) While for battle you will use larger stones, for the moment, you only have pebbles, which will cause only minor damage, and certainly not lethal damage. Well, you'll use what you've got to serve your country!

Visor fought the good fight from the beginning to the end, only not using his ability once, and leading much of the conversation. Unfortunately, his last act sealed the fate of the town. Visor, why did you hit Zack on the last night ?

KingMorgan:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Boar Rider
Player: KingMorgan
Ability: Veteran: You served with Bsmith in the past, and thus know him to be a loyal dwarf
Gore: Injure all those who target you, preventing ability use the next night
PG: Both you and Bsmith survive

You are a brave rider of the bold swine! Ok, it's not the most glorious of roles, but it suits you to a T. You just want to make it through this alive with your buddy Porker. Oh yes, and Bsmith too. He's a bit of a bully, but at least he's a familiar face.

The less dangerous, but role-block immune half of my spiky mason team. Only got targeted when he got killed.

classical_hero:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Axman
Player: classical_hero
Ability: Fragile Guardian: Each night you can protect someone, but if they are attacked, you will die instead
PG: Leader: Be the first to accuse an enemy on the day he dies.

You are not actually an axman, but rather a bone golem. You're tired of golems not getting the respect they deserve, so you disguised yourself and joined the army incognito. To prove your equality to anyone else, you'd like to lead the charge to eliminate an an enemy of dwarfdom.
Another one of the weaker roles, he almost certainly made the right call not to use his ability.

landlubber:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:General
Player: landlubber
Ability: Planner: Each night you can pick someone to plan your case against, increasing the strength of your accusation on them for the rest of the game by 1. This ability can stack twice (i.e. maximum vote strength of 3)
PG: Lynch an enemy after planning your case on them

You are Bambur, assistant commander of the Excellent Grand Army of Dwarves, (E. G.A.D.) , behind the mighty Arturus Thorne. Always deliberate, your strength lies in your careful plans and systematic methodologies. May this skill help you lead your army to victory!
Along with Visorslash one of two people who affected the vote. He used his ability every night, but never voted for someone he'd prepped.

Winston Hughes
Spoiler :

Autolycus said:
Role:Mage
Player: Winston Hughes
Ability: Magical Physical: Night ability. Scan any one player to learn their strength.
PG: At least two golems survive

You are a mage, pressed into medical service for the upcoming conflict. Your particular expertise is in gauging the overall condition of a person. You find golems and other sentient constructs fascinating, so you'd like some of them to be around to study when the dust settles.
Townie strength scanner. Although the scum didn't have abnormally high strength, his scans could still have been valuable, and his death early hurt the town.

Bsmith:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Hornguard
Player: BSmith1068
Ability: Veteran: You served with KingMorgan in the past, and thus know him to be a loyal dwarf
Trample: Night Active Ability: Keep your fearsome ox-steed with you, and kill all those who target you with a non-roleblock ability (This does not work on team abilities)
PG: Kill an enemy of the dwarves with your ability

You are the mighty hornguard, rider of a beast much larger than you. He's a dwarf's best friend, so sometimes you keep him with you, rather than locking him up in the stables. Some people think that's weird, but you think it's a safety precaution. You'd like to see this vindicated, and come through alive. You've seen that coward KingMorgan around. He's a bit of a weakling, but at least he's a familiar face, and doesn't have the guts to be a traitor.
The other half of the spiky masons, he died night one to a team ability.

EQandcivfanatic/snerk 2.0:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Quartermaster
Player: EQandcivfanatic
Ability: Golem connection: Each night you can scan 3-5 players and find out how many of them are golems, but not which ones.
PG: Take down two enemies of the alliance

You are Barnaxus, the original and perhaps only truly sentient golem. Centuries of life have made you the ideal quartermaster. You have a magical connection to all golems, and thus you have a diffuse sense of where they are. Regrettably, you can only amplify it so much, and it becomes negligible without some concentration.
The only true seer in the game, he could have id'd kennigit as a liar, although there were townie golems masquerading as people. Snerk was getting close to kennigit when he died. I liked the role,and may well bring some variant of it back in a future game.

riedquat:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Cannoneer
Player: Riedquat
Ability: Fire the cannon!: Day ability. One time use. Fire the cannon at someone, killing them.
PG: Kill an enemy of the alliance with your cannon.

You are a cannoneer in the Excellent Grand Army of Dwarves (E.G.A.D.). You will wreak great destruction upon the foes of the dwarves! Regrettably, you only have enough powder with you to fire the cannon once.

One-time day vig. Not much else to say.

bladescape:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:priest of Leaves
Player: bladescape
Ability: Hallucinogens: 3 time role-block
PG: Peace, Man: Never be one of the top two accused.

You are a peaceful refugee from the lands of the Elohim. With your magical nature connections, you can send peaceful visions to someone, making them rest for the night.
Townie role-blocker. Could have been very helpful, but died early.

sprig:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Sheaim Refugee
Player: sprig
Ability: Mind Meld: Night ability You can connect any two players for the night. Any role block or kill that is successfully used on one also affects the other, regardless of protection. (This can cause someone to kill them self, but not block them self to avoid infinite loops)
PG: Kill someone via this connection

You are an Eater of Dreams, fleeing before the barbaric hordes. You've found something new, though. Rather than just eating dreams, you can merge two people's, which is much more amusing. However, this has the side effect of entangling them, to the point where one dying delivers a lethal shock to the other. Oh, well.
One of my favorite roles, but he only hit once.

choxorn:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:child
Player: choxorn
Ability: Dragon: If lynched, you can kill a person of your choice as well (please send me a default choice and update as necessary, in case you're not around)
PG: Either survive or take an enemy with you

You are Cardith Lorda, once child king of the Kuriotates, now refugee. You may look like just a child, but you have the soul of a dragon, and will manifest at the last, if you have time to see it coming. This rude dwarven coalition is the last best chance of mankind, and so you will do what you must to see it triumph.

Just a high-strength vengeful lynch, but his taking down Double A sent paranoia through the roof, especially for the orc team. I think BL was really scared that he'd die too when he attacked choxorn :)

takhisis:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Vicar
Player: takhisis
Ability: Drain: Night ability. Role block organic targets. Every two nights, you also gain one strength
PG: Reach strength 3

You are a vampire of the Calabim, disguised as a Vicar of the light god Lugus. Being underground suits you. This alliance is pathetic, but it's all that's left, so you'll support it. You're still weak, but with so much blood around, you're sure you can recover soon.
Another role-blocker, and his strength was growing. Could have been a real pain for the scum.

Snerk:
Spoiler :
Autolycus said:
Role:Elven refugee
Player: snerk
Ability: Brewmaster: Night ability, 3 use: Increases strength by one, can self-target
PG: At least two foreigners survive (refugees, both labeled as such and otherwise)

Growing up, you were always teased for your un-elven passion for beer. While you certainly mourn the burning of your home forests, you do appreciate the diversity born of necessity that you find in this camp that's sprung up around the Excellent Grand Army of Dwarves (E.G.A.D.). Hopefully that can persist after the orcs are defeated.
The strength enhancer. His death at the beginning made both secondary killers more dangerous.

Final thoughts: I thought from the beginning that the orcs might be slightly overpowered. I think more, their enemies were relatively weak compared to a typical NotW. I also was worried about an absolute bloodbath, with the theoretical possibility of five dead in one night, and I think I got lucky that we never even got close to that.
The primary vote tiebreaker, as I said in the dead thread, was that the side with more golems lost, but it never came up. I'd love any feedback others care to give, and I'm happy to answer any questions.

This loss is completely on me for hitting Zack last night. I wasn't even convinced he was scum but town having a tracker made sense with all the night kills.

I've felt terrible for two days. :(

I couldn't get past town having a tracker even though BL was in his scum meta of not saying a lot.

Likt I had legitimate reasons to suspect him but his role basically cleared him for everyone. If I had taken charge of night actions I think this game ends a lot earlier.

Zack using his ability also breaks open the game basically. That role is very powerful. I laughed at it earlier, but on reconsideration is was very good.

If he'd used it a few days ago, it could have been useful, as much for removing him as a possible suspect as anything else. I think you may be over-estimating it. BL used his tracker ability as described every night until the last two.

Using it at the right times with verifiable night actions can out scum and clear some townies.

In hindsight that role is never a scum role and neither is sprigs. If I thought harder about it BL should've been the lynch but ah well.

Great game Autolycus! Incredibly stressful at times, but ultimately fun. Thanks for hosting.
Also I'd like to thank my teammates Kennigit and Double A for being awesome. And yes, I take full responsibility for Double A's death :p.

Commiserations to the town, especially Visor and Zack. You guys played a helluva game and kept me on the edge of my seat that last few days.

Answer to the main question: "Why didn't the orcs kill Zack and/or Visor?" We have to go back to the beginning of the game to answer this.

For starters, we ended up missing two kills right from the start which set us back. With TFA MIA, we lost the night one kill when I tracked choxorn and Kennigit roleblocked bladescape. We never actually had a target for that first night. The second night we wanted to do a double kill -Double A on Riedquat and Kennigit on spaceman, but Kennigit was MIA and never got the orders in. With those two missed kills, it set everything else back. Would we have hit Visor and/or Zack? Maybe. But by night three I was attempting to play kill catch-up with Kennigit and Double A (fearing scanners and the like), sending Double A to kill choxorn (oops) and Takhisis who we knew was the roleblocker from my tracking. Once I had tracked Sprig and talked with Visor regarding his ability, Visor had made it seem to me Sprig was some sort of protector with his targeting of jht and Visor on N3. Visor said something along the lines of 'convincing a shady fellow to move along,' which I took to mean Sprig protected Visor and/or jht. I didn't want to push for clarification for risk of being exposed, so I let it stand as it was and assumed Sprig was some sort of double doctor who couldn't target himself. With that, I also assumed because of the interaction that jht would then bus drive Sprig to protect him. Visor at this moment looked untouchable.

So I thought there was this trifecta of players I wouldn't be able to crack for the entire game and until Visor had everyone claim in-thread, was assuming I'd need Kennigit alive to roleblock jht while I killed Sprig one night. It led to me bluffing the inactive tracking claim on Kennigit N2 to cover up the fact I tracked Takhisis and subsequently killed him the following night upon the revelation of his ability. Maybe the claim bought him a day or two, I don't know. I'd like to think it helped.

As far as Zack goes, at this stage Visor had everyone revealed in-thread and it painted a clearer picture of who was a threat to us and who wasn't. I figured Zack would off himself with so many people left and so many question marks (especially with the town flailing at this point), so he was left alone though I did consider it for a time. Kennigit made a great call offing Snerk, someone I hadn't entirely pinged on until Ken mentioned him as a possibility. Then from there it was straightforward. Zack not using his ability made him a candidate for lynch. There was always the possibility of lynching choxorn and getting another guy offed. The inactives were lynch fodder as far as I was concerned, jht who was a target from his claimed ability, and Sprig was conveniently framed a little too well for one of the nights.

Regarding whether we were overpowered or not. I'm biased because of my role and how the game played out, but I'd say it was pretty close. My only question which could swing it is whether or not we were immune to jht's spores. If we get -1'd at any point, I don't see how any of us even with perfect play make it to the final three. Had jht hit me at any point, my one strength doesn't cut it - choxorn had three, Visor had two, and mathematically there would have been no way for me around it - I'm lynch fodder before the end. If Ken gets hit, we lose a roleblocker and killer in one fell swoop. Double A becomes ability-less (who's gonna attack with one strength?)

Strength victories are tough in general to balance because while the scum need to have a higher strength than the townies, they can't have too high a strength and just steamroll them with a few well placed-kills/lynches. Throw in a strength scanner and it might as well be a cop if the numbers are too high. I think if I had to balance things, I would have given the orcs a tad higher strength (maybe 2 extra points higher total across the three players) while also allowing the poisoner to affect us.

Role-wise Auto hit it right on the head. If I have any other ability besides tracker, I don't get to the end. The roleblocker was a nice add with the abilities present and looking over the role PM"s Double A had the right strength for his ability - only seven total players wound or kill Double A, the rest are kills. And I picked one of the seven :lol:

All in all Auto, you nailed the setup. A dramatic finish with four players left going into the final night is something I think every GM hopes for. There was a ton of tension and drama and I'm sure I'm not the only one that felt it. It was a very exciting game for me and it's not one I'll forget anytime soon. Cheers! :goodjob:

You were not immune to spores, but Double A didn't get wounded on equal strength, he just failed to kill. I think you sell yourself a bit short. If you had gotten spored, then you would have had to survive that final round of three, but I think you had a real shot at it.

I'm still peeved you guys lynched bladescape and spaceman.

I said hey guys don't lynch bladescape and spaceman I really really think they're town.

I was right on most of those flips.

What is "3-5" in the golem scanner role? Why is there a range

I'd flip flop on whether jht should have had 2 STR but that is a very robust set of roles! Classical hero's is maybe a bit worse I'd say, and bsmith would be super scary (could be really bad for the town...) but I really like everything else. Classical's is fine too but yea, very situational whether to ever use it

Very good

Your role PM for JHT is Jarrema's I think

Why was I killed by the isolationists relatively early on? I wasn't really doing anything important.

Brilliant game though, lots of fun to watch after death.

Top Bottom