[NFP] November Update Video

Single entity hero units, won't their animations take quite a long time? If they are powerful it won't be unusual for them to wipe out 3-4 models in an attack and as a single entity they will need to cut down each model one at a time.

Also Swedish Caroleon animations are heavily bugged with lots of marching on the spot after an attack for a long time and you cant do anything until it finishes. Redcoat might have the problem too I dont know.
If it's a similar issue that the one some people have with R.E.D., try to cap your in game framerate to your monitors refresh rate or lower.

Please do not allow gods like Queatzalcoatl to downgrade to heroes!
Keep it clean!
Best to devs!!

Please do not allow gods like Queatzalcoatl to downgrade to heroes!
Quetzalcoatl did double duty as a hero so he'd be fine, but the Maya Hero Twins were unquestionably a better choice.

Finding a good gender balance was *much* easier for Heroes than it is with leaders! Most legends and myths have a kind of gender balance, at least at some scale, drawing as they do with archetypes and stories, rather than having as a prerequisite "must have lead X civilization in a political capacity, historically." There were many, many great suggestions that we could choose from, trying to keep in mind game balance, novelty in terms of powers, things that we thought would be recognizable as well as things that we wanted to introduce you all to, and bearing in mind political/cultural sensitivities.
I’m kind of surprised it was easier! To me it seems that with myths and legends a lot of the heroes tended to be male, whereas with world leaders there are many powerful females to choose from, even if some are more obscure relatively speaking (like Zenobia, Lady Six Sky, Seondeok). I get that the range of desired powers might have changed the hero gender balance though.

The Old Gods Obelisk has all the abilities the regular monument has (+1 culture, +1 loyalty if not full loyalty); the Gilded Vault has all the abilities of the bank; the Alchemist Society has all the abilities of the University. It would be very odd if the Old Gods Obelisk suddenly starts loosing some abilities from the base monument. It would just be able to hold two Heroes Relics and one regular Relic.
Yeah it would be such an overlook that it would be impossible unless ....oh now I'm scared

It would be thematic for Babylon to have pottery unlocked right from the get-go. Babylon (the city) was made of a lot of clay bricks, stone was pretty difficult for them to get their hands on.
However, a free tech may not be something a Science-themed civ really needs. * shrug *

It would be thematic for Babylon to have pottery unlocked right from the get-go. Babylon (the city) was made of a lot of clay bricks, stone was pretty difficult for them to get their hands on.
However, a free tech may not be something a Science-themed civ really needs. * shrug *

thematic, maybe, but totally inaccurate. The earliest pottery is Oriental: Jomon culture in Japan from 14,000 BCE already had decorated pottery as did places in northern China, and as for lack of building stone, most of China's Long Wall was built of rammed earth for lack of building stone, and almost all the city walls in Ancient to Classical China were of rammed earth for the same reason.

On the other hand, what would be particular to Babylon would be glazed brick - the famous decorated blue 'brick' or tile of the Ishtar Gate and the Processional Way leading to Etamenaki. One possible problem is that graphically, the forthcoming Humankind game already appears to be using the glazed brick for their own Babylon Faction's Emblematic Quarter!

One possible problem is that graphically, the forthcoming Humankind game already appears to be using the glazed brick for their own Babylon Faction's Emblematic Quarter!
I don't really see that as a problem, though. Glazed indigo brick is pretty iconic for Babylon--not only the Ishtar gate but the entire temple quarter and palace were done in it. I'd be disappointed to see Babylon show up and not have some indigo glazed brick structures. (On which note, I'd love to see their walls receive a cosmetic change to be made of indigo brick, but I'll probably have to cross my fingers that a modder implements it.)

thematic, maybe, but totally inaccurate. The earliest pottery is Oriental: Jomon culture in Japan from 14,000 BCE already had decorated pottery as did places in northern China, and as for lack of building stone, most of China's Long Wall was built of rammed earth for lack of building stone, and almost all the city walls in Ancient to Classical China were of rammed earth for the same reason.

Rammed earth isn't pottery or ceramic, for it is not being fired at high temperature during the manufacturing process (in some Chinese dialects they call the rammed earth as 生土 - raw earth, for this reason), while the Babylonian glazed indigo brick is a fired ceramic product.

(Also, for lack of building stone, all the city walls in the entire Imperial China - not only in Ancient and Classical, but till Qing dynasty - were made of rammed earth. Those walls you see in China, which look like made out of bricks, actually only have a brick surface; the "core" of the walls are still rammed earth. That's the reason why during modern wars these walls can be easily tear down by artillery fire compare to their European counterparts. Even a large portion of the Great Wall has rammed earth inside.)

Ancient Chinese use ramming as a technique specially because ramming can give the earth a hardened form without being fired, which is far more costly.

Last edited:
Or modern literature heroes, like:
Bartleby the Scrivener: all enemy units in a radius of two tiles loose all the action points for the rest of the game.

Endicott: always takes the rubbish out before starting to play Civ.

Like Hercules, Maui, and Oya already? :mischief:

Hercules, Maui (and Sun Wukong) all share a pretty significant characteristic - they attained such divine statuses as they have (if they have it at all) after the heroic exploits they're known for. Most of their epic deeds were accomplished as living beings in the mortal world. Hercules was only raised to Olympus after he died; Sun Wukong only achieved Buddhahood from what he learned during the Journey to the west, and Maui may or may not be a god at all.

Oya is a bit weirder (and I would have prefered Firaxis not to use her, personally), but most sources I'm finding put Orisha as a class of spirits rather than out and out gods - which is a bit of a gray zone.

Quetzalcoatl is closer to a full-on god (there's some confusion about a second Quetzalcoatl whose stories sometime overlap) than any of the above and I think keeping him out is the right call. There are better Indigenous Americans choices.

Last edited:
Something weird I've noticed and I'm not sure what it is - there is this something at 2:00 that looks like a Trader cart, but with more lavish things on it? And there seems to be no roads created by this unit?
View attachment 575022
Also, kudos to the devs for not revealing the new civ in the Pass overview at 0:06 (like with Gaul and Byzantium), but instead putting more emphasis on the dramatic reveal a couple seconds later. I just want more of them to happen, instead of 2 or 3 we are expecting with the NFP :mischief:

Back to this post... checking today in my game: it seems the cart is just one of the (two? several?) standard models for renaissance industrial-trader: see screenshot below, : while my japanese (white-red) trader is the "poor" model, with mostly apple barrels and some cloth rolls, the maori (purple-teal) trader below is a bit more lavish, carryng more fabric rolls, swords, what probably is a barrel of liquor, and a hat!. Dunno if it is just randomo or if it depends in the type of trade route... but I'm afraid that's not Sinbad's cart :)

Spoiler Image :

20201114204247_1.jpg

Top Bottom