1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nubia First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Well, this is a big surprise.....Not Mali, Not Ethiopia, Not Zulus, but an African Civ which has never been in the franchise except for mods

I like Amanirenas as a leader (she's the queen who defied the Romans), but Amanitore will do nicely. I noticed how big sized she is. :D

Makes me wonder about the SE Asian DLC civ....is it really Indonesia like Eagle Pursuit said? :confused:

Hawke9 likes this.
  2. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I'd be very surprised and disappointed if that were the case. Nubia is more culturally similar to Egypt than their neighbours to the south, and there's plenty of space on the map. If we can have Greece, Rome and Macedon(!), we can certainly have Egypt, Nubia and Ethiopia!

3. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

The Pitati looks OP . . . unless the accompanying patch nerfs ranged units.

4. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Yeah, Ethiopia is very different from Nubia. They both deserve to be in the game.

Pythakoreas, Hawke9, nzcamel and 3 others like this.
  5. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Actually if you look at Amanitore reign time (starting at 1 BCE), Cleo is actually closest Egypt ruler to it. So, I don't think the scenario timeline has anything to do with rulers.

6. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Prince

Definitely not. Nubia is closer to Sudan than Ethiopia.

Possibly. They definitely have an OP skill set on paper, but they also have some drawbacks. It seems likely that their UU is super expensive, given all the production boosts they get for them. I imagine it will even out to be about the speed of a regular archer to train early.

They're also forced to settle on desert tiles to get the most out of their UI's district building bonus. Making a desert city house a ton of districts is a common strategy, but hard to get going because of the production requirements. For Nubia it's easy.

By the time their UU is obsolete, their small production boost is going to help them very little. Ranged units fall off in usefulness after the crossbowman and the mine upgrade really won't help for long given the limited number of mined resources in the game.

Since their late game (and even mid-game) bonuses are so minor, they're going to have to make an impact quickly. Their position in any teir lists will depend entirely upon their UUs production requirement.

slyone14 and Kimiimaro like this.
  7. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

Have to say I have been pretty happy with the all the civs they have added so far but I do worry about "power creep" each new civ seems to be shooting to the top of the power tiers. Obviously it's too soon to say where Nubia will fall but getting up to 40% increase in all district production and half cost on all ranged units with faster promotions seems pretty strong. I'm sure they will have a desert start bias but even without, just getting a 20% increase on districts is nice.

8. slyone14

slyone14 Warlord

OKay, awesome, appreciate it guys. I was just reading and the name Ethiopia kept popping up, I didn't think they were the same country, but at some points it appeared so. All clear now!

9. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I guarantee in my first Nubian game I'm somehow wind up starting in a massive jungle :(

Noble Zarkon and Ozymandias9891 like this.
  10. Janskey

Janskey Prince

It might be best to settle your cities on the edge of the desert, because no city is going to use all the tiles in range anyway. Build the UI and the districts on the desert side. There probably won't be too many good spots for cities like this, though.
    Isn't that already one of the random agendas? Maybe she likes districts since there's the +production thing.

11. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I may have made a squeal of delight when I saw the video. :D

I don't see why. Sure, Nubia is stuffed in between Egypt and Ethiopia, but culturally Ethiopia is very different.

Given how poorly attested Meroitic is, does anyone happen to know what language Aminatore is speaking? Nobiin, perhaps?

Morningcalm and nzcamel like this.
  12. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Prince

Agendas are usually pretty poorly thought out. I imagine something stupid will be included, like "Likes civilizations with a large amount of ranged units" or something along those lines. Maybe she'll dislike people with mined resources so she's encouraged to take them over?

[Edit]: I bet she'll have the same ability as Montezuma, but for strategic resources instead of luxuries.

13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Maybe she will dislike civs that aren't mining their hills or mine-able resources to their full ability.

14. Vahnstad

Vahnstad King

I don't know if i like Nubia. I probably preferred Ethiopia or Mali, but the one thing i do like about it, is that Egypt finally will have a nice leader.

15. PYITE

PYITE Prince

50% production on ranged units - I wonder if that includes bombard units. Similar to how oligarchy includes anti cavalry class.

16. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think, since Ranged was capitalized in the description, that it only applies to the Ranged unit line, ie slingers to machine guns.

17. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

Great to see a slightly longer scenario too :)

(italics and bolding in Cerilis's quote re scenario length added by me)

God of Kings likes this.
  18. earlc

earlc Warlord

Whoa, so many replies already!

I'm at work so I didn't get to look to closely, but awesome civ selection. I'm very pleased. I didn't even bother putting Nubia on my Africa wishlist because I never expected it!

Also shows how the TSL game isn't much of a consideration, if at all, for these DLC. And I definitely don't thing Ethiopia is out. Will probably be part of an expansion!

So excited to get home.

Zaarin likes this.
  19. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

That would be nice, but no second leader has been confirmed yet. With luck Akhenaten will be added to Egypt eventually. The fact that we haven't heard anything, however, makes me suspect that India will get a second leader with the SEA DLC.

earlc likes this.
  20. slyone14

slyone14 Warlord

That's true, but do not forget it could very well be a second SEA civ. EP and I are hoping its Vietnam, while we both doubt it and think our chances of winning the lottery is better, but it could be, however slim. But, I do honestly hope its a second civ.

Zaarin likes this.