• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Nuclear energy

Are you for nuclear energy production?

• Yes

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters

Jesus Civs

Civaholic
Are you in favour of nuclear power plants or not?

You might also add any comments you may have.

If anyone has any juicy numbers, please throw them in (i.e. cost per Mega Watt etc etc)!

Ok as one of the liberal voters here in Germany I choose no, because we are against nuclear power in the long range, but we don't have many alternatives in the moment to reduce CO² emissions.

I favour nuclear power over the fossil fuels. But we should strive to replace it through less dangerous, renewable energy wherever possible and reasonable.

Ok as one of the liberal voters here in Germany I choose no, because we are against nuclear power in the long range, but we don't have many alternatives in the moment to reduce CO² emissions.

So what are you for in the long range that isn't nuclear power and doesn't produce C02 emissions?

So what are you for in the long range that isn't nuclear power and doesn't produce C02 emissions?

- Cover the Sahara in solar panels.

- Build windmills everywhere and anywhere.

- Fly planes on bio fuel.

I support nuclear power. It is clean and effective. The risks are very very exaggerated.

The risks aren't exaggerated.

What do you do with nuclear waste?

- Cover the Sahara in solar panels.

That is unlikely to work affectively as sand and wind would work to destroy the solar panels or simply cover them to a point that they are useless.

- Build windmills everywhere and anywhere.

Not everywhere has strong consistent winds.

- Fly planes on bio fuel.

The production of biofuel releases large amounts of C02 and takes up large amounts of farm land.

In short, there is no free lunch.

It depends. Australia for example having the means and resources and lots of empty space to build a nuclear plant should build one to reduce dependence on coal. But I wouldn't recommend a country like, um, say Indonesia or Egypt to build a nuclear plant since its unpractical for them. (they should use other forms of energy - geothermal for Indonesia, solar for Egypt, et cetera.)

It's the least worst solution in the short term. Longer term, if we dont get fusion online we are not going to be able to balance the books.

It's the least worst solution in the short term. Longer term, if we dont get fusion online we are not going to be able to balance the books.

We shouldn't depend on fusion. What if it takes 200 years to make it a reality and a way to produce electricity?

I'm for nuclear power.

But I wouldn't recommend a country like, um, say Indonesia or Egypt to build a nuclear plant since its unpractical for them. (they should use other forms of energy - geothermal for Indonesia, solar for Egypt, et cetera.)

Haha! Reminds me of the time I saw on the news that Indonesia were going to be building (or at least trying to build) a nuclear power plant right next to an (active?) volcano!

There was an article on the BBC that I happened to read yesterday that had a poll about nuclear power: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6704665.stm

62% of men were for the building of more nuclear power stations, 34% against. 27% of women were for it, 63% against. Quite a gender split.

Heck yeah! Nuclear power is awesome. It's an environmentally clean way to get all the advantages of conventional energy, without the whopping cost of "green" energy.

One thing I truly hate is the greenies. I've tried to look for what their policies are on energy but they don't seem to have a clue: They want us to stop using fossil fuels, nuclear is bad, winds farms kill birds, hydroelectric plants damage river ecosystems... I just don't understand how they expect us to live if they want to outlaw all kinds of energy production. What makes it worse is that scientists are often lumped together with them (for example with global warming), even when they often have conflicting views.

Its about time America got past 3-mile Island. Modern nuke tech is well past that of 3-mile and we need the cheap clean power. We also need a modern grid.

Top Bottom