• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

NZ ships banned from Pearl Harbour

Come on guys, the U.S military struggles against the likes of Iraq and Afghanistan. National security demands that we can't allow the New Zealand navy anywhere near our ports.

Actually, I misread rugby's statement (I missed the first sentence). I was in the purpose of clarifying my response when you posted. For convenience, here it is again:

Edit: To elaborate, this is clearly a choice the US is making. They could just declare that certain vessels are nuclear free, and they would presumably be allowed to dock without issue (since as someone stated earlier, the Kiwi's don't force inspections). Instead, the US chooses not to dock there. This choice is within the prerogative of both nations. Yet it seems that if you're going to invite the Kiwi's to your military exercise, you might as well let them dock with the rest of the team.

I stand by the question you quoted above.

While I understand the fear of nuclear power, I think its a bit hypocritical to accept the protection of a nuclear powered navy's sphere of influence but promptly not want it near you. Not letting them dock in return though is pretty petty IMO.

Actually, I misread rugby's statement (I missed the first sentence). I was in the purpose of clarifying my response when you posted. For convenience, here it is again:

I stand by the question you quoted above.

So your solution is that the US should just lie? Even though everyone knows that at least certain types of vessels are nuclear powered? Of course, the assumption that I am making is that the US doesn't really employ important non-nuclear vessels.

While I understand the fear of nuclear power, I think its a bit hypocritical to accept the protection of a nuclear powered navy's sphere of influence but promptly not want it near you. Not letting them dock in return though is pretty petty IMO.
It isn't due to "fear" of nuclear power. It is merely their wish to not be associated with it in any form whatsoever. Who can really blame them?

And exactly what dire enemy is the US Navy protecting New Zealand from?

So your solution is that the US should just lie? Even though everyone knows that at least certain types of vessels are nuclear powered? Of course, the assumption that I am making is that the US doesn't really employ important non-nuclear vessels.
Most US naval vessels do not have any nuclear weapons aboard, much less are nuclear powered.

It isn't due to "fear" of nuclear power. It is merely their wish to not be associated with it in any form. Who can really blame them?

And exactly what dire enemy is the US Navy protecting New Zealand from?

Most US naval vessels do not have any nuclear weapons aboard, much less nuclear powered.

First, the fact that the US doesn't confirm anything makes your statement hard to support. Second, I tried to emphasize "important" in my statement. I'm pretty sure it is common knowledge that aircraft carriers and submarines have some sort of nuclear material on board.

The only nuclear-powered ships in the US Navy are aircraft carriers and submarines. There used to be some cruisers but they have all apparently been decommissioned. This is indeed "common knowledge".

The issue with the US Navy is regarding nuclear weapons. They don't want to admit which vessels have nuclear weapons on board and which don't. But in the case of visiting New Zealand, Vancouver, Canada, or Kobe, Japan, all they would have to do is simply dock. Nobody is going to inspect them.

No, my solution is that the US should either accept NZ's choice, and not dock it's ships there, or declare which ones are nuclear free. My point about the lack of inspections is simply to avert a whole 'loss of sovereignty' slippery slope type argument. That, and stop acting like children, and inviting the Kiwi's to a camping trip, but then saying have to camp two sites over.

I mean, realistically, anyone going up against the US navy knows which ships are nuclear powered. And if the US declares USS Whatsitsname a nuclear free vessel, that doesn't mean it can't carry nuclear weapons; it merely means it isn't carrying nuclear weapons. For all we know, those were offloaded onto USS Someothership at the 13 mile line, and will be restored just as soon as the port call is done. This is just the US over-reacting.

Boy, I wouldn't want you to have my back in the trenches. One decent gag and your support just crumbled.
Well that one was a play on words, whereas the rest were just "lol New Zealand probably has a worthless military because it is so small hahahahaha AMERICA IS WINNAR!!!"

I hear the tug boats they sent to bring in the frigates were bigger than the frigates.

Also on board our frigate was the entire New Zealand air force combat wing.

No body cares about this... New Zealands navy being kept out of pearl harbour is about as important as the lower hutt rugby finals, or a tiny 2 minute earth quake we had last night.

As someone pointed out already the US simply didn't let the NZ ship dock at the naval base. They are perfectly capable and allowed to dock at any civilian facility that can support them. Docking at civilian facilities instead of military ones is normal, nearly every international port visit I have participated in was at a civilian site even if there was a military facility within sight. Easier/better liberty and better to show the flag.

Contrast that with New Zealand who bans all ships from their territorial waters period and it is clearly NZ being more restrictive. Their right of course.

"Well, you can't come play at my house either!" seems a bit more childish to me :p

Except thats not the case. As Pat said, they can (and did) dock at civilian facilities. We dont even get that option at NZ.

They both seem to be a bit childish. Why not just let each other dock at each other's ports like good allies?

Top Bottom