Of Angels and Magic

He raised his hand, where the gem was placed. The winds started, enemy banners flapped, then he dropped his hand. Tonadoes snaked down onto the battlefield. The army was destroyed in a fury of tornadoes and lighting strikes. He push the winds back and they carried the remains of the destroyed army back enemy capital, where they were dumped on the city in the heart of a massive storm.

I think air mana might have been one of them.

edit: ninjaed by Magister

Also, is the edit thread thing going straight to advanced for anybody? this is really wierd.

Thematicly, I love the Octopus Overlords, but does anyone else think they should get something to compansait the loss of Slavery?

This isn't so much a lore question, but how much does each earth mana increase the chance of discovering minerals by?
Edit: I guess no one feals the way I do about the overlords.

Well, OO didn't lose Slavery, it just lost exclusive use of it. It could probably use some boost though. I'm making all religions stronger in my modmod, so I deal with seeing how balanced the religions are afterwards.

Originally Posted by Kael (Some parts cut) (I found this quoted by someone else, and don;t know where it was first found)
Earth nodes now increase the chance of spawning resources. So before there was a 1 in 10,000 chance of a mine finding a resource each turn. (...) In the new system the limit is divided by the amount of earth nodes you have +1. So if you have 1 earth node its 1 in 5000, if you have 2 its 1 in 3,333, if you have 3 its 1 in 2500, etc.

So, why are Lamia so good at magic? May we assume they are descended from Humans too (maybe those who spent lots of time with Amathaon?), and thus also have the Divine Spark?

No one has answered whether/why Gabella (or Nemed's second wife) has the divine spark (we know she she can use magic) yet either.

The lamia are supposed to be human from the waist up with the rest bieng the body of a lion, centaur style, right?

Also they are supposed to be a female only race right? in the D&D monster book I have, it says that they are female only and have to mate with another species (forget the name). Unless Kael is using a different description of them.

I'm not sure that humans even in the presence of a god, would change that radically, unless Amathaon is less human looking than the other angels. Or bieng the god/goddess of creation/procreation/birth, Amathaon has much more control over genetics than the other gods do.

Well, the D&D monstrous manual as it's called is apparently updated for the second edition of D&D and while the description says the lower body is a lion, goat, deer or some other beast, the pic shows it as half lion.

It's possible that another version of the Lamia was made later on in another D&D edition.

Well, Mulcarn didn't exactly look human. Cernunnos and Succelus look like they are part deer.

How did any of the demi-human races arise? I don't really like the idea that so many of the Kuriotates citizens are soulless animals. It seems to be that they should all have human ancestry. I just got to thinking that it could be interesting if they were the descendants of the experiments of Patrian Life-magic mages, but instead of just creating new life like they did with Griffons (It seemed like these were described as new lifeforms, but saying that they too were a sort of living, reproducing fleshgolems could work too) they fused humans with woodland creatures. Perhaps the Lamia are the descendants of the mages who actually did this, which would explain their heritage of magic use.

That could explain the Centaurs as well in Erebus, although the Centaurs aren't really magic users. Doesn't mean that they can't use it if they wanted to learn it.

I guess you have a point there with Mulcarn.

Still, it depends on the point of reference that we are coming from, since the book I read is from the second edition. Also, I found where the images for the Lamia are supposed to be in the Art Blog, but the images are no longer there.

Encyclopedia Mythica states that the Lamia was a "snake-like creature with a female head and breasts. Usually female, but sometimes referred to as a male or a hermaphrodite." That would be the ancient Greek depiction.

The AD&D Monster manual is less specific, essentially upper torso & head human female with the lower body being that of a beast. The picture has a combined goat/lion body with a human upper torso.

It comes down to how do people want the lamia depicted? Like Nagas, or as per the various D&D monster manuals describe them? Personally, I favor the "snake-like creature with a female head and breasts" myself.

This has been taking over 12 hours to post, so I copied and pasted to try again:

I had never heard of the D&D description. It sounds kinda of arbitrary. I prefer the classical Greek variety, except for the part about being evil and devouring children. The view of Nagas as Fertility divinities could fit well too, seeing as The Kuriotates' patron Amathaon is the god of fertility.

The model that was shown a while back was simply a topless blond woman (not nearly as attractive as the Succubus model that was introduced about the same time) whose body was a snake from the waste down.

Lamia appears in the Vulgate as St. Jerome's translation of Lilith (on whom Os-Gabella is based). Of course, I personally think that a literal translation of Lilith ("screech owl") would make a whole lot more sense in that context.

Okay, so Agares is now trying to destroy creation. Mot of his followers with free will don't know this, do they?
Edit: do the angels following Agares know he plans to destroy creation (and them with it), or do they tink they can stop him before he succeds?

Sorry, edit made a new post for some reason. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Not quit magic or angels, but which can first, Magister Cultuum the forum name, or Migister Cultuum the Great Sage? Because, he just poped up in my Kurio game.

The Great Sage is named after the real life "sage-of-FFH" that is Magister :)

Ok, I had a feeling that was how it was done.

About Lamia, the Greeks belived that Lamia was the daughter of Posiedon and Lybie. Lamia was queen of Libya, and lover of Zeus. When Hera found out, she stole all of Lamia' children. Mad with grief, Lamia begain murdering children. Zeus tried to appess Lamia by giving her the gift of prophacy, and the ability to take out her eyes and put them back in at will. When Hera killed al of Lamia's children but Scylla, she turned into a monster. In Christian belief, Lamia and Lilith are the same, as in Isaiah 34:14 Lilith is translated as Lamia. It may be that in fall from heaven, Lamia where a race of humans changed by exposure to an Angel(possibly Agares, his symbol is a snake). Oh, also the greeks thought Lamia was unable to close her eyes, and that see wasn't half snake, but wore snake skins like a skirt or belt. Some people also thought she had a phallus. It wasn't really the Renaissance that Lamia was half-women-half-snake. Of course my source could be diffrent than others.

The idea that they descended from a group of humans that were changed by the fall of maybe Agares is plausible. Only thing though, how long after the creation of man did Agares fall? Even if Eve had stayed immortal for a few centuries, there would be less than a thousand humans only a century after thier creation. If those humans bred as fast as they could and inbreeding was not a problem, there wouldn't be a million after the sixh generation.

Top Bottom