1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by 2K Greg, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Yes, you'll be able to play Babylon in multiplayer if you buy the Deluxe Edition, but your friend will not be able to do so.

Please note that Babylon is only included in the Deluxe Version and that the Special Edition does not contain Babylon (but some figurines and an art book). I know people use Special, Collector and Deluxe liberally, but they Special and Deluxe are different offers with different properties. See this thread for a detailed description of the different versions.

2. Wezqu

Wezqu Warlord

I don't really believe you can play Babylon on multiplayer with another person who doesn't own a version that has Babylon. Reason to this is as the other persons doesn't have any of the files needed for Babylon so he could not see the political view, special units or anything else that is specific to Babylon civilization.

3. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

That's not guaranteed, but from experience of other games, they should include just enough files to play against Babylon in every game (and continue doing it with each Civ DLC by spreading updates).

4. Kopernikus1979

Kopernikus1979 Warlord

Why are there 2 different release dates for the download version?

Direct2Drive.eu/co.uk/com: September 21st, 2010 at 10AM PST
    store.steampowered.com: September, 24th 2010

The international DVD release is set for 24th of September, so when ordering via Direct2Drive (Steam), when will I get the game activation? Do they know my IP (I'm from Germany) and will they postpone my activation until 24th?

5. markdata

markdata Chieftain

I don't know about you others but I just hate installation restrictions - reminds me of the tricks developers used in the old Apple II days. Says allot about the perceptions of a developer who expects their customers to be cheats and thieves. These 'protection' methods always seem to create more problems than they are worth. For example, a one-time installation - what does that mean for someone who moves to a new box after installation - do they have to buy another game? Like mentioned previously, what if you don't even want to use the capabilities Steam provides? If they're going this route why not do it right and license seats or simultaneous uses or single users? Make it quick, simple and reliable for people with all sorts of equipment - there are plenty of people who just expect the game to load and run - I haven't seen that happen for most people since Civ's early days (anyone remember Civ3 CD access problems, processor compatibility problems, graphics issues in Civ 4, etc.??).

6. bjbrains

bjbrains Man of U-235

I don't know where you get the installation idea from. Steam has no installation limits. Also, every major game uses some kind of DRM, mostly internet-based or using highly intrusive drivers (securom). Steam is definitely on the innocuous end of the spectrum.

7. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Steam has no installation restrictions. You can install an unlimited number of times on an unlimited number of machines. The only restriction is that you can only play on-line on a single machine at the same time, which is not unreasonable.

Steam is quick, simple and reliable. Processor compatibility and/or graphics issues have nothing to do with Steam. Civ5 uses DirectX, which is by far the most ubiquitous graphics system for games, so if there's a modern graphics card that doesn't know how to handle DirectX, then :rolleyes:

8. crazyjoe0813

crazyjoe0813 Warlord

I care more about getting the additional civs more than maps (since I usually play on random maps) so I'm not too concerned about not getting a map pack. I'll be getting the Digital Deluxe edition either way. The only difference between the Digital Deluxe Edition on Steam and the DD on Direct 2 Drive then is that D2D is offering the Double Civ and Scenario pack for free, correct? Just want to make sure that I preorder the right version.

9. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

See this thread for an exact comparison between the different offers.

Deluxe = Regular Civ5 + Babylon + Soundtrack + Making of Video

Steam Deluxe = Deluxe + Map (Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia)
    D2D Deluxe = Deluxe + Civ3 + coupon for DLC Pack (2 civs + scenario)

This is about as simple as I can explain it. So if you care for the extra free civs (when they become available) then go for the D2D offer.

10. Mathalamus

Mathalamus Emperor of Mathalia

who cares abotu the extra civs? someone will mod a better version anyways.

11. crazyjoe0813

crazyjoe0813 Warlord

Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

12. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: Several posts moved to here.
    This is not a generic spam thread, please consider this. Most of the asked things can also be found in the confirmed features thread or had nothing to do with Steam.

13. straightbambi2

straightbambi2 Chieftain

Anyone having trouble with the Steam version of Civ 5? My games crashes after a while and I was wondering if it has something to do with the Steam version.

Problemsignatur:
    Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
    Anwendungsname: CivilizationV.exe
    Anwendungsversion: 1.0.0.17
    Anwendungszeitstempel: 4c9b9294
    Fehlermodulname: CivilizationV.exe
    Fehlermodulversion: 1.0.0.17
    Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 4c9b9294
    Ausnahmecode: c0000005
    Ausnahmeoffset: 00439dd0
    Betriebsystemversion: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
    Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
    Zusatzinformation 1: fd00
    Zusatzinformation 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Zusatzinformation 3: fd00
    Zusatzinformation 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

14. straightbambi2

straightbambi2 Chieftain

Well I've managed to fix the problem. I've enabled the Window Mode and now the game doesn't crash anymore

15. JFR

JFR Chieftain

Where are the answers to the questions about DRM that keep getting moved to the other thread? I don't buy music from iTunes because of the DRM; do I have to stop buying computer games now, too? I also am suffering the random crashes problem; does this have anything to do with Steam? More than a little frustrated with a software release I've awaited for a long time....

16. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

No that crash would be Civ5 itself, I've never had Steam cause my games to stop working.

17. LS Eden

LS Eden Chieftain

Removed

18. SubCore

SubCore Chieftain

there are still several unanswered questions in this thread about which i'd like an official statement, but apparently the first few week of sales went well enough so nobody at 2k games cares anymore.
    how very disappointing.

(i realize there should be no discussion in this thread, but then, where are the official answers this thread is supposed to be for??)

19. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Well, what questions are you interested in having answered? Sometimes posts just get 'lost' in a thread.

20. SubCore

SubCore Chieftain

Primarily this one:

i too want to be able to play a game i bought well into the future, without having to rely on some third party's servers (which may or may not exist in 5 years), without having to keep the computer i activated it on indefinitely, and without having to resort to cracks.

i don't really need a legally binding clause (it's too late for that anyways), but at least _some_ assurance that Firaxis / 2K Games know about this issue and that they could provide some solution to remedy this, should this situation actually occur.

ironically, the cracks are probably my best bet for long-term "support". and companies wonder why customers resent DRM.