1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by 2K Greg, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Tarkhan

Tarkhan King

It's within the rules to install multiple off-line games and play them, the idea being that you can't distribute/pirate the game this way without giving away your Steam account. You could technically get other family members to play it for free, however I hope they'll just ignore this possibility as not worth countering, especially since you can't play online like this.

2. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

Its not within the rules, its specifically against EULA rules and is therefore illegal, the reason the limit's in place on Steam do not prevent such activites is not because they are allowed but because to further extend the limits of the DRM they will impeed on genuine customers who use the offline mode because they lack an internet connection.

2k Certainly does not promote using the Steam software incorrectly, the only way to legally play with friends and family on multiple PC's is to buy multiple copies, Steam/2k Is well within thier rights to stop the abuse of the easy-going offline mode by impeeding on genuine customers legal use of the offline mode I hope they don't however just because of a few criminals who think its thier right to break the law.

3. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Guys, guys, we're on the same side here. The question was about whether you can install the game on two computers (that is, a home desktop and a travel laptop) at the same time. In my post I indicated that while it's technically possible to do simultaneous single player, it's probably against the license agreement. Let's not drag this into a wide ranging debate on the finer legal points of an EULA that nobody has read yet. That isn't the point of this thread and that wasn't the point of my post.

4. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Will it be possible to play multiplayer civ5 without broadcasting one's SteamID?

Sorry if this has been asked already.

5. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Emperor

I doubt that, your Steam ID is the foundation of the Steam user authentication system. Same as your Gamespy ID name was.

CS

6. Sprig

Sprig めんどくさい

I think you will find that there will be reluctance from the companies part to answer your question. Using common sense, you will be aware that no company will be interested in them having a liability for an old product 20, 30, 50 years down the track.

While this seems to get you riled up, when you think about it, its not really that bad. No companies have selling entertainment software have are forced in any legal way to update their software. Its really on a companies goodwill that we get patches for our games. Sure there is an expectation but there is no legal obligation.

Steam itself is an interesting app and I don’t think it is one that is going to go away anytime soon. It is larger than both Xbox Live and PSN in terms of a multiplayer platform. I can’t say I have had any trouble with steam in the last 5 years of using it.

Also as a collector of old games you might be interested to have a look at the games catalogue available on steam. I brought X-Com: ufo defence not so long ago for $2.

7. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

I registered for Steam for another game ages ago. I have forgotten my login etc. I am worried my email address may be registered to an account. Can I create a new account with the same email address.

8. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Yes. In fact I did this yesterday. However you get warned that a person should not have more than one account. Take this advice at your own risk, as it's probably against the terms of service.

9. kiwitt

Thanks for that. I went through the procedure to re-activate my account. All done. Quite painless and worked well.

Now await Civ 5 - with glee.

10. kiwitt

I installed my STEAM in C:\STEAM as opposed to the default "C:\Program Files (x86)\",

Will "Retail version Civ5" be installed there, or will it be installed where I tell it to. i.e. "C:\GAMES\CIV5"

11. Gillagad

Gillagad Chieftain

I assume Steam will install Civ5 to where it normally installs games (like Civ4). My guess would be to Steam\steamapps\common\

12. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

[pimp]
    Finally, after nearly week-long struggle due to time zones difference I've got the answer from Vince from Steam Support:

Disclaimer:
    I'm not a native speaker, so perhaps to you it'll be all clear after his first answer, dunno. I have to admit, I did struggle with his answers, and it took me several attempts to finally comprehend them:

Looks promising, but I'm still not sure:
    :think::huh:
    :deadhorse:
    ...And so the weekend has started, and communication has ceased. But then, on a Sunday evening (don't worry about the actual time, it had some weird time settings, it was like 20:00, not 9:31am xP:
    :D
    A-HA! That I can understand. Still not the answer I've asked him for, but understandable enough!
    :whew:

I thanked him, and closed the ticket.

Now it's clear, and I'm off to D2D to buy that Digital Deluxe deal off them :groucho:

13. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Yeah, that whole "territory" stuff was rather unclear. Maybe they still consider Australia a "territory" too. You never know. ;) But it's good to know that your UK bought instance will run all over the world. It's not as generic as we'd have liked, but since the UK offer is the cheapest on the planet, this should mean that any UK (or US) purchase should also be valid in Australia, or anywhere else.

14. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Nice detective work. No restrictions at all with regard to location, huh? Isn't that interesting!

Who saw that coming, really?

(Me, I saw it. What did I tell you Sahkunder thormodr etc)

15. Sahkuhnder

Sahkuhnder Delusions of grandeur

Bold by me.

While I admire your unswerving devotion to your corporate support viewpoint that is not what he was told - and after he had to ask three times no less... :lol:

If what you claim is true then why didn't/won't 2K Greg say there are "No restrictions at all with regard to location"? I asked my question July 26 on the first page of 2K Greg's own FAQ thread. I'd love to hear your latest excuses for the behavior of the 2K corporate PR staff.

There are also two parts to my regional restriction question:

Part A: Will Steam restrict a game purchased anywhere in the world from being activated from anywhere in the world?

Part B: Once any game is activated will Steam restrict that game from logging on from anywhere in the world to play online/get patches from Steam/add mods/etc.?

16. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I agree. This question has still not been adequately answered. 2K Greg promised me an answer and he still hasn't delivered.

17. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

While naturally you have the right to maintain that there hasn't been a clear unequivocal statement from 2K Greg that you can buy anywhere and play anywhere, and technically that is not invalid, consider:

Exhibit A: The UK version is the cheapest on the planet (comparing US, UK, EU, AU on Steam)
    Exhibit B: Steam confirmed if you buy in UK you can play anywhere.

That pretty much confirms to me that there are no regional restrictions on any of the more expensive regional prices.

18. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Basically, from what I understood the only limitation is the release limitation. There are two regions for the release - US and international. So if I'll preorder the game in Australia and then go on a trip to US on 22nd of Sep I won't be able to play the game, since in the country of my purchase the game is not out yet.

...:think:
    Which brings an interesting question:

If I'll ask my friend to buy Civ5 for me from an US IP, does that mean that on 22nd I'll be able to install&play it while being in Australia? :eekdance:

19. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: 13 posts moved to here, please discuss in that thread and not here.
    This thread is for questions and answers, and i think the question has been heard.

20. Wilhelmus

Wilhelmus Chieftain

I have a question about multiplayer compatibility among the numerous different releases of ciV:
    I have the Steam special edition with Babylonian civilization included, and I play against my friend who bought the pressed DVD version. Will I be able to play as Babylon against my friend online, even if in his version of ciV Babylon is not included?