Official Corruption Solutions Thread

I usaly plays at Monarch and Emperor, mostly Monarch.

Now I'm playing on the GOTM 3, it should be a standard.

I hate the corruption problems... why is it favorable having a small empire?

The should add a 3rd palace when having 50 Cities, a 4th when you have 74, and a 5th when you have 100 or so... (map size should matter though)

In the last few games I've played I got a leader right as
I *really* needed to reduce corruption because I had
just conquered new territory away from my capital. So
I used the leader to build an Imperial Palace and instantly
made those newly fought for regions useful. Or, if I already
had an imperial palace I made a new Palace that better
centralized my corruption coverage. Actually, I made a second
palace in a nice centralized city I capture with coal and
iron because I wanted it to be a mega-productive city with
Iron Works (eventually got to 226 shields per turn).

I actually think corruption is a good strategic factor, but is
just a little overdone. To offset it I changed all the governments
to have one step lower corruption (except communism cause
I'm not sure "communal" corruption eliminates the ranged
aspect of corruption or if just being communist does it). I
also have temples, libraries, cathedral and universities
reduce corruption.

What would really make sense to me is that tech advances along
the way would reduce corruption, or factors in corruption.
For example:

printing press, radio, computers - increases range that capital reduces corruption

nationalism?, space flight? - reduces effect of population on corruption.

Grey Fox, it looks like your Core Area Radius is down around 4 or 5, which is more of a drop-off than I would have expected just going from a large world to a standard size one. (BTW, does anyone know if corruption gets worse at higher difficulty levels?)

The first thing I would suggest is that your city arrangement doesn't appear to make very good use of the corners of your Core Area. If you went with a 3x3 grid of cities instead of a hexagon you should at least get 9 productive cities instead of 7 (or 18 instead of 14 after you build the FP). There would be a bit more overlap between your city radii, but you'd be able to work more overall territory so your overall production would be higher.
Beyond that, maybe you're just building too many cities outside your core area.

Well you have to have a lot of territory to get a hight score...

66% of the map, if domination is on...

so I need many cities... I can't settle for 32 on HUGE, which is the low corruption border on HUGE maps...

You can control the same amount of territory with fewer cities if you space the cities outside your Core Area farther apart. If you space them about 6 or 7 squares apart, by the time you have enough cities to hurt you you'll already control so much of the world that you'll be unstoppable. See my file civ3_corruption.txt if you haven't already. I explain it in there.

I've made an picture based on artax text-file on corruption solutions. It should illustrate the Core Area he talks about. That is the area within 10 squares from "the capital / forbidden palace city" every direction.

You can find artax text-file on page 7 on this thread

Heres the picture anyway, hope it's like you mean artax

Actually more like this. See, you want to make better use of the territory on the fringes of your core area. You can utilize terrain that's 11 or 12 squares away from your capital if you do it from cities that are 10 squares away. I like to have each side of my core area bounded by a line of cities 10 squares away from the center and spaced 5 squares apart from each other.

Of course in the real world you'll have oceans to work around, and part of your core area will initially be occupied by opposing civs, which will influence your city placement. Also strategic resources and luxuries come into play, and if there's cattle or wheat in a square, you probably don't want to plop a city right on top of it. So there's all sorts of comprimises you have to make. This is just a hypothetical ideal arrangement.

Attachments

• city_layout.jpg
    city_layout.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,505
Yea, but the image has to be rotated to match the civilization map...

the tiles ar no squares, te grid goes diagonal

ok heres my situation:
Huge map
Regent
uhhh...83-88 Cities :D
i control all N. America, S. America, and have cities in greenland and australia.
resaerchin nuclear power, but can build nukes, ICBM's (afdter manhatten project gets done).
Cap in Rome, western US. (where S. Francisco is)
I can build mech infantry, Modern armor (i alwayts hussle to m. infantry and m. armor.)

CORRUPTION IS ASS!!!

No really, i got a serious corruption problem. HELP!!!

I had the greatest expansionist/military stratiez, but it doesnt work in civ 3.

:nuke:
Help

Produce everything in your Core cities.

Try to make every citizen happy in your 1-production cities. (To boost score :))

Build Marketplaces in those cities by Hurrying with your money, if you think it's worth it.

:crazyeyes
Corruption is going to be a problem in this game-the designers made it that way.. it is too bad in my opinion. I have played on huge and tiny maps and all in between, and they all have their corruption problems. Once i get to the modern age i draft mechanized infantry in my large cities and disband them in my corrupt cities to help me build harbour, marketplace, courthouse, and police station. If courthouses and police stations are built in a radial pattern from the center of my civ, the corruption reduction seems to be increased. That is a courthouse in an outer city will perform better if courthouses etc are already in effect in closer in cities. Corruption is a pain in the a**, i wish the effects would be diminished especially on huge maps. The effect the civ3 team has come up with is unrealistic-its only effect is to make the game go on longer when in effect you have already won.

I've noticed a large drop in other continents' cities' corruption after building courthouses, but it takes a rather long time to reach that point.

I was Greek on an island - took over a few Egyptian cities on another island after getting galleys. I rushed the courthouses soon after. Around the time I jumped up to industrial age, I noticed the Egyptian cities were producing 4 out of 8 and 6 out of 10 possible shields and only losing about 40% or so to corruption, when they started out producing the usual 1 shield/gold each.

So it takes a while but apparently courthouses do help.

This was large archipelago map with the patch, btw.

Originally posted by Magellan

> Without debating what is realistic,
I think it is absolutely unrealistic ...
life it's not a fight against corruption ...

> I think the corruption is interfering with fun.
I agree ...

> Accordingly, I designed my own rules, modifying the basic rules
>to allow many buildings to have an anti-corruption effect.
>Corruption is still higher in newly-conquered cities, but it does
> allow you to play in conquer mode, if you so choose. Plus, it's
>totally fair, as the AI will have lower corruption levels too.
>Anyway, that's my 100% easy, effective anti-corruption tool.

Wonderfull !!! How can i do it too ???
please teach me ...
tnks,
GT

Originally posted by GTCiv
Originally posted by Magellan

Wonderfull !!! How can i do it too ???
please teach me ...
tnks,
GT

1. Use 'search' feature in windows and located 'civ3mod.bic'.
2. Make a backup of this file. Call is something like 'civ3modorg.bic' or 'civ3org.bic' so that you can always replace any screw ups you make.
3. Go to Program files, and load 'civ3edit'.

In civ3edit: Load 'civ3mod.bic'

Improvements and Wonders Tab
Flag/Check 'reduces corruption' in all the city improvements you feel is appropriate (see courthouse for example).

World Sizes Tab
Adjust 'Optimal Number of Cities' to a higher number that you like for each world size. This is the # of cities you can have before corruption begins to run rampant (grows exponentially per city beyond optimal). You can build the 'Forbidden Palace when you own 1/2 of the 'optimal number of cities'. So, don't get carried away and set this number too high.

Difficulty Levels Tab
Adjust the 'Percentage of Optimal Cities'.

EX: A setting of 200 will mean that the 'optimal number of cities is now adjusted to 2 x 'optimal number of cities' in world size chosen at the difficulty level chosen. This will 'tweak' corruption for when is becomes rampant and when the Forbidden Palace is permitted to be built.

Note: Look at the higher difficulty levels and you will notice that the 'percentage' default setting is lower than 100%. Which I believe means that the Player gets an additional corruption penalty.:D

Just wondering if anyone has asked why Firaxis chose corruption to be so high? Remember that they claim to have tried to balance the game as much as possible.

My theory is that corruption means that you can't simply spread out so much anymore and have superproductive cities to simply overwhelm your opponents with tanks/high attack units. If you could do this, you would end up with an end-game which inevitably ends up like Civ II - overpowering your opponents with stealth bombers and tanks.

Personally I think corruption is fine. My solution, on Monarch level, is to change to 100% commerce when I get the chance, and buy courthouses, policestations and possibly factories for all outlying cities. This brings their production up to acceptable levels, acceptable being that they might produce an odd improvement/unit now and again. WLT* days also help, and are easy to implement in the usually small outer cities.

Think of how boring it would be if they were super-productive! It'd be non-stop blitzing with 100's and 100's of units...

Resurrect!

Hey Eyrei, what happened to your March GOTM? Zachriel did an excellent job, though did have 40% corruption in an outlying city even with a space victory and near optimal placement of the palace and Forbidden Palace.

I am wondering how your game went because you posted that you would try it. You posted notes about a finished Emperor level game, so obviously had enough time to play and finish a small map Monarch level game. Just curious and following up.

Originally posted by BillChin
Hey Eyrei, what happened to your March GOTM? Zachriel did an excellent job, though did have 40% corruption an outlying city even with a space victory and near optimal placement of the palace and Forbidden Palace.

I am wondering how your game went because you posted that you would try it. You posted notes about a finished Emperor level game, so obviously had enough time to play and finish a small map Monarch level game. Just curious and following up.

I have til the 31st right? I just really do not relish playing the Americans. There are so many other civs that are much cooler. Thanks for the reminder though.

>overpowering your opponents with stealth bombers and tanks.
my path was by stealt MIG and paradroper ... hehehehehehe

>My solution, on Monarch level, is to change to 100% commerce
> when I get the chance,
how can i do it ?

>WLT* days also help, and are easy to implement in the usually
>small outer cities.
what do you prefer to use ??
luxuries by taxes or specialized citzens ??

tnks for your help,
GersTree

Top Bottom