1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Corruption Solutions Thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lefty Scaevola, Nov 8, 2001.

1. RoddyVR

RoddyVR Veteran Board NESer

actualy registered so as to be able to get in on the discussion.

sorry only got throught the first 6 pages of this, have to leave soon and wanted to contribute

i have just started playing a week+ ago so i have yet to get to MUSKETMEN but none the less i want to put in my thoughts on this.

if you have a large empire that has bad corruption problems, and you need to build the forbiden palace quick in an area that is all 1 shield production. instead of waiting 300 turns (it is 300 right?)
    i suggest:

switch to communizm for a bit, that will make those corupt cities less corupt (while making your good cities around you capitol worse), then you build the forbiden palace and then switch back to democracy.

like i said i have never gotten that far in a game so dont know how realistic that is, but a few turns of anarchy has to be better then 300 turns of waiting. :)

unfortunately i wont be able to see the responses to my idea atleast till monday when i come back here, but i would love to read the rest of this discussion (i think its 9 pages now)

2. colonel privv

colonel privv Chieftain

Here is the best solution to corruption IMHO.
    18 cities.
    Thats it.on any map it is enough to win in any way.

Basically your capital is the middle square of a noughts and crosses city layout.

FP small wonder is the centre of a second group and AFAIK can be any where else on the map.

This works because all cities are an equal distance from the palaces. If you establish this setup i think your almost garunteed a win.;)

3. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

Most people are intimidated by Babylonian culture. They needn't be. Here, I am playing Russian and found the new town of Tblisi right near the Babylonian capital. This is a classic culture attack:

http://www.crowncity.net/civ3/tblisi.htm

Note: Webpage is graphic intensive. Allow 2-3 minutes for download. Use 1024 lines for best viewing (same as Civ3).

4. Dynamic Cow

Dynamic Cow Moo

i havent read all pages, so this might already be posted, but wouldnt it be nice with a wonfer that automaticly builds courthouses in every city you have?

5. Portuguese

Portuguese Vassalising Spain

You can do that, modding your game... :D

6. Zamuri

Zamuri Chieftain

The corruption thing doesn't bother me much because I edited Bank & Research Lab to lower corruption. I also edited maximum number of cities to 50. That is from a default of 32 for a huge map!!!! I saw a slight increase in overall corrution when I hit about 65 cities.

Then came my war with the Aztecs. Soon I had over 80 cities and I gasped when I saw corruption in my captial...with democracy!!
    I was only using my 'new' cities for military purposes anyway so after the war I dished out all the cities to those countries I wanted to help (I love manipulating the world).

After I dumped all the dead wood out of my country and leveled out at about 70 cities, the corruption was manageable. In the fringe cities I always expect some corruption anyway.

My point is that I actually like the corruption. I think it's good that eventually, you just can't control an empire beyond a certain point...the Romans are a good example. I think it's probably just set way to low.

7. Portuguese

Portuguese Vassalising Spain

My solution to corruption is to put a zero in the end of optimal cities per map (32 > 320, for example...).
    This way, you can build how many cities you want!!! :) :lol:

8. Crow T Robot

Crow T Robot Minister of Hedonism

I agree...so much so I did it.

I added 3 things:

War Memorial improvement - reduces war weariness in the city it is built in. Avail w/ Nationalism

The Magna Carta - Great Wonder; adds a courthouse to each city on continent; req 3 other CHs's and Monarchy (tech not gov). I think it adds a happy face and a culture point too, but is expensive.

Had I thought about it more, I would have named it National Supreme Court. I also wanted it as a Small Wonder, but the capabilities for these are meager.

The Civ Bureau of Investigations (CBI) - Great Wonder; adds police station to cities on the continent. Requires Atomic Theory or some other later tech.

The purpose of these was to be able to exert culture stability/control on large colonies later in the game.

I am also thinking of adding a Public Broadcasting improvement to boost the culture and perhaps happiness in a city (create mindless but happy automatons to sit in front of the TV 50 hours a week like my sister) and might actually have it reduce the shield output slightly as part of the expense. And a GW to add a PB outlet to each city on the continent; maybe call it National Broadcasting Funding. Ideally these would only be available after you research a new Mass Media Tech but I am not sure I want to mess with adding techs yet.

HTH, but YMMV

9. GTCiv

GTCiv Chieftain