Olympic Games - New Sports? Or old ones?

Zenon_pt

Civing on the real world
I was listen to the radio yesterday, after the news about Obama winning the Nobel, I have eard that in the Olympic Games of Rio de Janeiro, Golf and Rugby will became olympic sports. But they also told that they were once in the past Olympic Sports.
- So do you agree or not?
- If you could sugest a new sport to be a new Olympic one, with do you choose and why?.
- And if there is one you considered that shouldn't no longer be an Olympic Sport and why.

-.- hum... It's so difficult to start??? OK I'll but my first.
Roller hockey. It was only inclued as a demonstration sports at the 1992 Summer Olympics, in Barcelona. Why they didn't add it to the games, I don't know, but would like to know. It's one of sport with a great confederations teams. If the field hockey and ice hockey are Olympic Sports (OS) why not Roller hochey?

-.- hum... It's so difficult to start??? OK I'll but my first.
Roller hockey. It was only inclued as a demonstration sports at the 1992 Summer Olympics, in Barcelona. Why they didn't add it to the games, I don't know, but would like to know. It's one of sport with a great confederations teams. If the field hockey and ice hockey are Olympic Sports (OS) why not Roller hochey?

Maybe because it's only played seriously in Portugal, Catalonia and a couple of cities each in Italy and Argentina?...

I could have the some allegations for Rubgy. But it starts to growing over the world.
But yes it's true. Roller hochey, is more a Latin sport (probably) Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay (not sure)...

Well, rugby is much more popular than that, in number of countries, spectators, viewership, etc.
Besides the form of rugby that is introduced in the olympics is rugby sevens, which is more widespread than rugby union itself, with a regular world series circuit and teams from every continent (except Asia maybe) playing for top spots. In the last WC the semifinalists were, for example, Kenya, Argentina, Wales and Samoa, displacing the traditional powers like Fiji, New Zealand, England, South Africa. Besides these, there's also a bunch of teams that could at any point break into a top 8 position at any competition (France, Australia, Scotland, USA, Portugal, Canada, Russia, etc.). So it's quite competitive and outspread.

You list those countries as roller hockey countries, but the truth is that maybe 1 or 2 out of 100 italians will know about it. It really is just a niche sport even in the countries that dominate it, except for 2 or 3.

Getting back at the initial question then, I think the futsal should be an olympic sport, possibly at the expenses of football itself. The men's olympic tournament is way down in the pecking order, it's only played by U23 teams. Football doesn't need the olympics for anything and the olympics shouldn't need a sport for whom the olympic games are just a 2nd rate tournament to fill in the summer schedule.
I guess otoh football, while placing expensive venue requirements (you need a bunch of big stadiums), also benefits the olympics by bringing it to other cities in the country. But for that you can have the women's tournament, who do take it seriously and for whom it is a high career mark and the best teams are sent.

Futsal otoh is a fast growing indoor sport, widely spread and which would take it seriously, benefit from it and enrich it.

We can't even get all of this country to play Lacrosse.

Now if we were adding sports, we should add Pankration. It's the only original olympic sport not in the current olympics, and it's practiced worldwide.

Lacrosse, like American football, would essentially go into the Olympics in order to assure the United States a free gold medal every four years.

Putting American Football in as an Olympic sport would be awesome, as the Chinese would spend a billion dollars trying to develop their own team to win the gold medal, thus making the sport popular worldwide.

Putting American Football in as an Olympic sport would be awesome, as the Chinese would spend a billion dollars trying to develop their own team to win the gold medal, thus making the sport popular worldwide.

Doesn't fit with the Chinese strategy at all.

Getting rid of Baseball was a stupid anti-american move. It certainly has a greater international following/talent base than several of the other sports currently in the Olympics (Ping-Pong?!?).

The International Baseball Federation have 112 member nations, the International Table Tennis Federation have 207 member nations. There are more table tennis players in China than there are people in USA.

Also, if we can't get cricket, you people can't have baseball.

Lacrosse, like American football, would essentially go into the Olympics in order to assure the United States a free gold medal every four years.

Canada could actually contest their title. The past World Championship was won by them.

Top Bottom