On the Floor of the Senate

OOC: We should probably build a shrine next to get to religion and then get Tithe for mega bucks

Adressing the Troops:

Kinsmen Arianus Fabius Aleius and Orionas Fabius Orionas, I have put you in charge of two contingents of Adstatii ( Spearrmen). Orionas, cousin, I send you with the 1st Contingent, to go North and see what you find. Arianus, I bid you take your men, the 2nd Contingent, South, and meet the peoples and the wonders of that Land.

And you, Citizens of Rome- Fabii, Claudii, Cornelli, and Valerii, even the remnants of tha hated Tarquinii and the Plebians that form the basis of our streets, We all must work on a single thing- a Monument to our newfound freedom! Glory to the Roman Republic! May it always stay glorious! may this monument stand till the ends of the earth have folded in on themselves and Jove takes his favour from they who live on the Tiber.

Vale!

I'm afraid that Belisarius Fabius Aelius has had his self-opinion inflated by the positions he has been granted - one of which was unjustly given by the Consul Princeps, as the position of Preator Dux is supposed to be granted by the Senate. In the interest of cooperation, I was willing to let that go.

However, this power play by Fabii family has left me with no choice but to act. Belisarius, despite the fact that your mandate was not given to you by the Senate, you are still subject to its rules, one of which is that it is the Senate, not the Praetor Dux, that has the power to appoint Roman citizens as commanders of specific units.

At worst, this was a treasonous attempt to undermine the Senate - something I would personally want his head for - and at best it was a nepotistic act of ignorance! I am willing to give Belisarius the benefit of a doubt and refrain from calling for his execution, but such ignorance is a clear display that he is unfit to perform his duties properly, and as such I submit a motion to impeach him as Praetor Dux!

Humble servant of Rome, Senator Magnivius Claudius Regulus

Romulus Claudius Augantine (Consul of Commerce)

I agree with my fellow Claudii, this obvious abuse of power on the part of Belisarius or should I say the lack thereof is in the most undemocratic manner. He should know that he is not within his right to appoint lower praetors, this is a blatant attack on our system, soon he'll declare himself 'dictator'. His so called love of this new 'freedom' is an obvious veil to hide his true dictatorial ambitions.

I second this motion and call for his removal immediately.

Emilia Fabia Secunda (Consul of Philosophy):

Sit down, Claudii. There is no denying that Belisarius acted out of bounds, but to accuse him of treason is outrageous. I happen to know from private discussions that the extent of his "dictatorial ambitions" is to unite your family with ours in dominating our neighbors, both militarily and culturally. If you would prefer the barbarians to overrun us first, then you've found a good way to ensure that by tearing the system apart with petty squabbling before we have even begun.

All of you must remember that, just as only the Senate can appoint lower praetors, only a supermajority of the Senate can impeach. Romulus, you are not a Senator, are you? Your position - and mine, admittedly - were meant to be purely merit-based, but were granted arbitrarily by the Consul Princeps, before any of us had had time to prove our merit. His appointment of Belisarius was hardly less legitimate than that.

Our cousins shall be dismissed from the field, the legions given new direction, and we can all get back to building a nation. There will be plenty of time to destroy each other later.

OOC: I am, in fact, a Senator.

OOC: I know you are, but I don't think AuganM is. Correct me if I'm wrong. My eyes started to glaze over a bit while reviewing the rules and who's who for that post.

OOC: Oh, sorry, I thought you were referring to me, since Romulus is fairly close to Regulus when not paying all that much attention.

Emilia, I am afraid that you are mistaken on a point. Positions as Consuls are based purely on merit, and will as such be given to any who surpasses the current holder in the relevant case. The position of Praetor Dux, however, is a life-time appointment, and one that should rightfully be given by the Senate. What precedent does the fact that our military is currently commanded by someone who does not have his mandate granted by the Senate set? One I will fight tooth and nail, I assure you.

Bazilius Valerius Ahenobarbus (Consul of Culture):

Fellow Romans, as the responsible for culture and general policies, I would like to direct our first 3 policies to strenghten our traditions: opening Tradition, Strengthening our Aristocracy, and oficially instating the system of Oligarchy. We need to culture ourselves so we can take more land.

OOC: tradition opener, and we can decide on wonder building as needed. I considered honor but looking at the map and all the production we can have (farms on hills near the river and the cows), I think we can build a few wonders. Honestly, I'm looking at the Liberty tree after, we need more land quickly. Legalism will come in a bit later, I think we can hold a bit on it, to try to get something better than monuments only for free.

I would've gone Honor if we had raging barbarians though, that would've been awsome with the infinite XP and all. Truely awsome with aztecs.

Excellent plan, Bazilius. I especially like the idea of strengthening our aristocracy. With the support of the best-educated Romans, who have the time and money to spare, we can build great monuments and public works, making Rome the envy of the world!

Romulus Claudius Augantine (Consul of Commerce)-

Not under the spell that my words hold any sway on the cultural front, perhaps it is best to be prepared for the worst than prepared for possible prosperity. As much as I do believe in the power of Rome for the foreseeable future it is not clear that greatness is within our certain grasp. To erect a monument of wonder heavenwards to the Gods is a sign of a truly thriving society and a society which thrives is not one overwhelmed by barbarians and foreign invaders. Tradition stresses the building of wonders and concentrated, developed cities, to suggest we would even make it to that stage would be naive.

Although it may seem outlandish to stick with the ideal of honour, I very much so would love to see a Rome filled with monuments and aqueducts but survival is key in these infantile stages of our civilisation.

Sit down, Claudii. There is no denying that Belisarius acted out of bounds, but to accuse him of treason is outrageous. I happen to know from private discussions that the extent of his "dictatorial ambitions" is to unite your family with ours in dominating our neighbors, both militarily and culturally. If you would prefer the barbarians to overrun us first, then you've found a good way to ensure that by tearing the system apart with petty squabbling before we have even begun.

All of you must remember that, just as only the Senate can appoint lower praetors, only a supermajority of the Senate can impeach. Romulus, you are not a Senator, are you? Your position - and mine, admittedly - were meant to be purely merit-based, but were granted arbitrarily by the Consul Princeps, before any of us had had time to prove our merit. His appointment of Belisarius was hardly less legitimate than that.

Our cousins shall be dismissed from the field, the legions given new direction, and we can all get back to building a nation. There will be plenty of time to destroy each other later.

My dearest Fabii, sit down, I am not under the illusion I have the right to impeach Belisarius I was thrusting my support behind my fellow Claudii. Even though our positions were not distributed upon merit, it is the duty of a responsible citizen to read his job description. Belisarius should of fully known that it was not within his right to appoint lower praetors. Even if this is an accident, it makes me question his integrity to the position,what rules may he disregard or make up next? Only time will tell.

Not under the spell that my words hold any sway on the cultural front, perhaps it is best to be prepared for the worst than prepared for possible prosperity. As much as I do believe in the power of Rome for the foreseeable future it is not clear that greatness is within our certain grasp. To erect a monument of wonder heavenwards to the Gods is a sign of a truly thriving society and a society which thrives is not one overwhelmed by barbarians and foreign invaders. Tradition stresses the building of wonders and concentrated, developed cities, to suggest we would even make it to that stage would be naive.

Although it may seem outlandish to stick with the ideal of honour, I very much so would love to see a Rome filled with monuments and aqueducts but survival is key in these infantile stages of our civilisation.

While those are certainly reasonable concerns, I believe they can be addressed by the policy of Oligarchy. A permanent class of soldiers stationed in each city will provide protection beyond what mere numbers can provide. It will also reduce upkeep costs, allowing a larger army with more up-to-date equipment.

You would have our soldiers stationed in our cities? I dearly hope that your fellow Fabii does not share this opinion. Our soldiers would wither and die if left to rot in a city! They should be out in the real world, gaining experience allowing them to take on foes that would otherwise be out of their league! We should not focus on fielding a large army, but rather making an elite force that can take on any nation in the world!

OOC: I'm really sorry for the confusion everyone, I made those guys up for immersion reasons. THOSE ARE NOT REAL PEOPLE I DIDN"T APPOINT ANYONE, JUST MAKING THE STORY A BETTER READ! in no whay are those two random characters real, lol

OOC: Eh, to be honest, it was just a convenient excuse. My character is rather upset about your appointment - or rather, the source of your appointment - so odds are good that I'll be watching you very, very closely for any excuses to get you removed and have the Senate appoint a Praetor Dux.

Bazilius Valerius Ahenobarbus (Consul of Culture):

I do no such thing as wish anyone to rot, but our current situation allows us to build, and build well. My idea is simply to power that, and to allow us to grab more terrain. Development will follow soon.

If you really think so, then you should adopt Honor, to better allow our soldiers to go out in the world and gain strength and experience, rather than encouraging them to be stationed within cities, where they will merely be less expensive to keep equipped. Sacrificing the growth if our army for a meager gain in wealth is both dishonorable and foolish, for it is the army that is our shield and spear against the world.

The great problem is that without the developed cities, no great army can be raised! I say, adopt honor later, and use liberty first!

rather than encouraging them to be stationed within cities, where they will merely be less expensive to keep equipped. Sacrificing the growth if our army for a meager gain in wealth is both dishonorable and foolish, for it is the army that is our shield and spear against the world.

My decision doesn't stop our armies from going out and growing, as there will be no penalty for that. Plus, it's a mechanism to keep us afloat in case of extra expenditure, allows us to keep a slightly larger army at no extra cost, and especially will allow our growth with all the culture that comes with this decision.

Telling me I'm sacrificing army growth is not only exaggerated, as it is unfounded. In the end don't such a bigger army right now (and I am still allowing this at no extra cost), and we need to develop. That is my goal.

Top Bottom