On the recent mass killing in Texas

Does Switzerland have any resources its neighbors don't also have in abundance?
I think it has quite a lot of gold underground.

Hitler planned an invasion of Switzerland in 1940 called Operation Tannenbaum. It was never carried out, probably because his generals didn't want to waste at least half a million German soldiers, that would be needed in Operation Barbarossa the following year.

I'll leave it there with the Swiss, because we're drifting off topic.

Does Switzerland have any resources its neighbors don't also have in abundance? Sure, it declared neutrality, but that only works if others don't wish to invade you in the first place :)

Austria was about to do that, but Britain stopped it with an ultimatum - it was during the swiss civil war in the 1840s.

abundant resources rarely stop nations from invading other nations, even when the other nations have resources the abundant nations have. it's more a question of being a mountain country with a competent, even if small army. you see this kind of thing throughout history. the tiny size only really starts being a real factor if it's something like liechtenstein, where the diplomatic fallout is too big for something that small

that said eva had a point, is it on topic? i'm not sure

Report: Uvalde Gunman Had Accomplices As Far As Washington, D.C.

UVALDE, TX—Uncovering shocking new details about the Robb Elementary School shooting, FBI agents told reporters Wednesday that alleged gunman Salvador Ramos had accomplices as far away as Washington, D.C. “We have reason to believe this wasn’t a ‘lone wolf’ incident, but rather a coordinated attack carried out with the assistance of 535 individuals in the D.C. metropolitan area,” said agency spokesperson Adriana Yaroma, who noted that the case was now being investigated as a federal crime, as the co-conspirators had crossed the borders of every U.S. state. “This was a highly sophisticated operation backed by millions of dollars, and it appears to have been in the works for decades. We have evidence these men and women provided the shooter with cover as well as access to the very guns used to perpetrate the murders. If it weren’t for the cooperation of these incredibly sick individuals, the 21 victims would still be with us today.” At press time, the accomplices had reportedly fled the country before they could be brought in for questioning.

Full story here

tagging "culture of violence" for this incident in particular is funny. the incident itself is not funny.

"culture of violence" is much more appropriate in us cities with more restrictive gun laws, however. some of those have such high shooting homicide rates that they are worse than the death counts from mass shootings for the entire nation.

i get that the news loves to talk about mass shootings generally. but if you focus on mass shootings like this when advocating against gun violence, you're not being honest. even if you get rid of suicides, they are a comically low % of gun deaths in the us compared to the massive quantity of "normal" (apparently) homicides that nobody cares about using weapons that still seem broadly uncontroversial in every state.

another interesting thing is how these crimes evolved over time in the us. they were terrible during the great depression (around as bad as 1991), and 2018 rates were pretty close to identical to 1960-1965 rates. a lot of legislation between then and now, not a lot of evidence supporting its benefit.

Repeal the 2A
Repeal the GOP

few things would justify exercising 2A more than attempting this.

The exercise of the 2A has made the US the number one nation is gun violence and school shooting. It has added nothing but death and violence to American cultures in the past 70 years. It has not made us freer or safer.

i get that the news loves to talk about mass shootings generally. but if you focus on mass shootings like this when advocating against gun violence, you're not being honest. even if you get rid of suicides, they are a comically low % of gun deaths in the us compared to the massive quantity of "normal" (apparently) homicides that nobody cares about using weapons that still seem broadly uncontroversial in every state.
And yet, the amount of gun-related deaths adjusted for population still puts the US notably ahead of many other developed nations.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...o-other-countries-in-deaths-from-gun-violence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate#List (click on the "Homicide" column to sort by it, you probably need to click twice for high-to-low)

Surprise me.

local cops in hot water over delays

witness who lived by the school said shooter drove up and crashed outside school, got out and shot at 2 people at a nearby church, fired at the school and then entered.

i think it took 91 minutes to get it done

a lot of times, mass shootings are dealt with very slowly and with a lot of delays

i understand that being a cop requires you to protect yourself but why in the world has the us militarized their police to such a degree and then take forever to deal with things where shooting someone is the straightforward method

(i know the reason, i'm asking like... rationally)

Local SWAT team didn't act and they waited for border patrol swat to show up.

i think it took 91 minutes to get it done

a lot of times, mass shootings are dealt with very slowly and with a lot of delays

i understand that being a cop requires you to protect yourself but why in the world has the us militarized their police to such a degree and then take forever to deal with things where shooting someone is the straightforward method

(i know the reason, i'm asking like... rationally)

Because police forces attract a lot of deeply maladjusted men who want to dress up and act like soldiers but don't want anyone to shoot back at them

New law proposal:
Illegal to own any assault rifle style weapon
60 days to turn in any owned assault rifle and ammo for state paid cash
After window closes:
  • Possession is felony with a 8 year term (includes loss of voting rights)
  • $1000 fine for each gun found
  • Up to 1 year in prison for each gun found
  • $10,000 bounty paid to anyone who notifies police about a person's possession and conviction. Paid by criminal.

Loss of voting rights doesn't fit there at all. It's almost as if it was put there to make this impossible to pass as legislation.
I don't like the bounty one either (and who says the person has 10K to give in the first place; if the state wants citizen informants it should pay them itself).

Loss of voting rights doesn't fit there at all. It's almost as if it was put there to make this impossible to pass as legislation.
I don't like the bounty one either (and who says the person has 10K to give in the first place; if the state wants citizen informants it should pay them itself).
Felony conviction is the US usually mean loss of voting rights for some period of time. It is pretty normal. the bounty is because it is now fashionable and when you don't involve governments for enforcement (like TX abortion law) it avoids any constitutional issues.

The goal of such a law: get assault rifles off the streets. If one is convicted of possession and have to pay the $10k to former friend who turned you in, it is tough luck. Sell your car, sell your house, get your pay docked, take out a loan, nobody cares if you can't pay. It is an incentive to turn your guns in and one for your friends who know you have the guns to turn you in.

New law proposal:
Illegal to own any assault rifle style weapon
60 days to turn in any owned assault rifle and ammo for state paid cash
After window closes:
  • Possession is felony with a 8 year term (includes loss of voting rights)
  • $1000 fine for each gun found
  • Up to 1 year in prison for each gun found
  • $10,000 bounty paid to anyone who notifies police about a person's possession and conviction. Paid by criminal.

Just let private citizens sue anyone they suspect of owning a semi-automatic rifle for a minimum $50,000 in damages plus attorney's fees.

Imo it is a bit dangerous to spell out that the state doesn't give a crap about x citizens, since they may well return the favor, which will only cause more death and suffering.

What a load of crap. Do you think "the state" cares about children being shot in schools?

The goal of such a law: get assault rifles off the streets.
Is there a meaningful distinction between semi-automatic rifle and assault rifle? Any machine that sends out lots of bullets accurately seems like it would work in this situation.

Personally it seems the easiest and most effective way is to push liability onto the manufacturers, as they only got the law protecting them in 2005. The new trend of 3D printing and other home made guns is a bit of an issue, but reducing it to those would probably stop a load of these things.

Top Bottom