Only two civs remain...

Just like when people asks if there should be included an African (as S. Pacific) doesn't mean that that will never happen...:rolleyes:
But Africa actually had civilisation. The S.Pacific had small islands and primitive tribes. Not the same thing.

But Africa actually had civilisation. The S.Pacific had small islands and primitive tribes. Not the same thing.

one could argue that Hawaii and Tongo were civilizations, but otherwise than that, theres not much, and Africa had many more civs, so...

I don't say that S. Pacific deserves to come in before Africa - please notice that - but... Even though Polynesia/The Southern Pacifics or whatever you might call them, was rather primitive, but they still covered a good areal using canoes over the Atlantic. I know they weren't unified, but I'll cough something to say Firaxis has already included some non-unified cultures...

*cough* Celts *cough-cough* Native Americans *cough* Vikings *cough-cough* Arabs *cough*... :lol:

What about the Moai Statues? The Hawaiian kingdom? I don't say they should be added before MANY other civs, but they weren't that small... Some respect for them plz

I don't say that S. Pacific deserves to come in before Africa - please notice that - but... Even though Polynesia/The Southern Pacifics or whatever you might call them, was rather primitive, but they still covered a good areal using canoes over the Atlantic.
So? Canoing proficiency is not one of the factors attributed to the development of civilisation. Urbanisation, centralised government and writing, however, all are, and the Polynesians fall a little short in those areas.
I know they weren't unified, but I'll cough something to say Firaxis has already included some non-unified cultures.
But I never mentioned political unity, I said that the Polynesians were too primitive and to historically unimportant to deserve a place in the game.

We can merge the Polynesians with the Scientist in Antartica civ!

Super Canoes powered by the ways of the Penguins! :D

So? Canoing proficiency is not one of the factors attributed to the development of civilisation.

Well, it is, actually.

Urbanisation, centralised government

Urbanisation and centralised government was not very present in the Viking or Celtic tribes either, they lacked a lot in those areas too.

Well, it is, actually.
No, it is not. You can build a thousand canoes and it doesn't make you anything more than a stone-age primitive. They can be good canoes, I accept that, and you can travel thousands of miles in the, but that doesn't change the fact that the prerequisites of civilisation are largely non-canoe-based.

Urbanisation and centralised government was not very present in the Viking or Celtic tribes either, they lacked a lot in those areas too.
No, it is simply that apparently some people- unfortunately this seems to include Firaxis themselves- seem to believe that Celtic or Norse culture ended as soon as those people adopted these features. The nations of Wales, Scotland and Ireland are the results of the Celts adopting "civilisation", while Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Icleand represent the same for the Norse.

Well besides, there were cities in Gaul when it was conquered by the Romans. they just weren't that big... But urbanization definitely existed in the Celtic World.

The Iroquois were urbanized. The Cherokee were urbanized. Many tribes were. Just because Plains Indians were nomads doesn't mean they all were.

The Iroquois were urbanized. The Cherokee were urbanized. Many tribes were. Just because Plains Indians were nomads doesn't mean they all were.
I quite agree- the agrarian tribes were urbanised, or at least steadily on the way there. However, I was refering to the Polynesians, who were not.

Woops, misread that there :o

I think the only time I thought the Polynesians was a good idea was a suggestion a long time ago (I think it was for a Civ3 expansion) that suggested a uu that was a boat that allowed them to cross ocean tiles long before anyone else. It was so perfect for the Polynesians that I almost wanted them in the game (regardless of any other qualifications).

Mississippians had a couple huge cities and many large towns. Many plains Indians were probably the remnants of much more advanced civilizations that fell to disease and crop failures due to largely the pigs that the first european explorers brought

There is actually evidence (mostly genetic) that the people of Madagascar sailded here from Polynesia.

Not really- they had settlements, but that's not necessarily the same thing.

Well a more appropriate term would be Town. There "cities" weren't that big. And you can complain that alot of other civs had settlements instead of cities/towns.

Well a more appropriate term would be Town. There "cities" weren't that big. And you can complain that alot of other civs had settlements instead of cities/towns.
Well, by "settlement" I meant that they did indeed have places of permanent settlement, but that they were very minor- I wasn't just getting into semantics. You see, "city", even detached from the level population, has implications about the divisions of labour and power government that were not found- at least not to any significant degree- across the vast majority of Polynesia.
Besides, of the other civs in the game only the Zulus and Native Americans did not have what could definitely be called "cities", and those are two rather questionable civs in themselves.

Alright, I think the thread is completely useless, the last two (three) civs are:
1. Ethiopia
2. HRE
3. Khmer

Top Bottom