Oppression Olympics

I take it your pets have always been indoor critters, mine bring in rodents dead or alive and their ticks
Maddy has been outside on her own maybe three times in her life (she'll be 12 in June). In all cases she didn't go more than about 2 feet from the door or window (she accidentally got out through a window once when the screen in my basement suite popped open; Maddy was so shocked to find herself outside that she froze long enough for me to grab her and get her back inside). She's never caught a mouse, and she's not even good at catching insects.

We did have a mouse problem in the '90s - not because the cats brought in dead ones, but because we had live ones that got in somehow. The cats did very well that summer (1993), as the oldest cat (who had been a stray) hunted the outside mice and the two younger ones hunted the ones inside. At no time did I handle the dead mice directly, and none of the cats exhibited signs of any problems with ticks.

My dad's cat left me the gift of a dead mouse on the back porch a time or two. I praised him, thanked him, and when he wasn't looking, I discreetly disposed of the corpses.

all my animals are strays... I even had a red fox hanging around and a possum using the pet door to raid the dog food. When I lived in San Francisco raccoons - even entire families - would enter the basement making a racket. I dont remember ticks in SF, maybe too dry and cool.

The 2019 Oppression Olympics Medals are awarded as follows

Gold @inthesomeday for intersectional oppression.
Silver @Synsensa for internalizing his oppression into a claim of non-oppression.
Bronze @tjs282 for being a white guy who felt left out.

I was briefly feeling put out that I was left out of the medals, then I remembered that my only contribution to the thread was disputing a claim to the title of "least oppressed."

I still think that I'm the most oppressed person here, this result was rigged.

I still think that I'm the most oppressed person here, this result was rigged.
You were disqualified on account of steroids.

You were disqualified on account of steroids.
I don't even drink alcohol and you expect me to inject drugs into my body ? Yeah, that's a conspiracy allright. I'm even more oppressed.

What? I didn't place in the medals? I'm so oppressed I didn't even post in the thread until now.

I have a less liberal definition of oppression than most do these days. It's why I don't feel oppressed and reject the premise. Nobody specifically dislikes people with poor upbringings or people with disabilities. People are certainly inconsiderate, but they're inconsiderate to everyone and it's not about me or something specific to me (beyond my charming personality).

In disability discourse there's a prevailing meta that an inaccessible world or defining the ideal as "not disabled" is ableist or oppressive, but I think that's pretty silly. I'd rather the general public be invested in curing what ails me rather than be invested in "making the world accessible". I recognize that I'm the extreme minority, and I value an attempt at real treatment higher than I do in changes that make getting around slightly easier. A place to sit down outside of public buildings is neat, but I would prefer not needing to sit because there's nothing wrong with me.

The world not falling over itself to offer me a cure isn't me being oppressed. Society has its priorities all mixed up and can't even properly take care of the healthy able-bodied people. It's not a specific slight against me or people like me that we're also ignored.

Get back to me when we're being experimented on again or being put on trains again.

Nobody specifically dislikes people with poor upbringings or people with disabilities.
Then you haven't encountered the people who say "If you can't do ____, you don't deserve to." That's what some people say about people who can't physically access things like voting stations (in 2015 some of the advance polls were on the 2nd floor of a building, and nobody had the key to the elevator since the advance polls were held over Thanksgiving weekend and the regular staff there was gone for those 3 days - so voters in wheelchairs, or who used walkers were unable to get there, and lost their chance to vote). It's also what some people say about people who can't access their own mailbox in community mailboxes. People in wheelchairs can't get to their own mail if they can't reach it. Unless they have someone to help them, they don't get their mail. Not everyone has family or friends to help, or a trustworthy neighbor.

And I've already mentioned my experience with the Returning Officer in 2015, who bent over backwards to try to deny me my right to vote by in-home special ballot. Her whole attitude just screamed that if you can't physically get to the polls, you should just shut up and stay home. But that's how the Reformacons think of those five segments of society they targeted with the UnFair Elections Act.

I'd rather the general public be invested in curing what ails me rather than be invested in "making the world accessible".
That's a nice thought, but doesn't help the people who are terminal or whose condition can't be cured in time for them to have a decent quality of life - which includes making as much of the world accessible as possible.

Get back to me when we're being experimented on again or being put on trains again.
We should never have been in that situation in the first place.

And one of the nurses at the hospital in January stated that I should move to assisted living, because "what if you don't qualify for home care? How about Bethany, that's a nice place." That was after I informed her I already had qualified for home care and had been receiving services for awhile. I also said I was happy living where I was and was not ready to move in with the 80-year-olds at a facility that AISH wouldn't begin to cover (not to mention that it's a Catholic-run facility and those - at least in Alberta - have no respect for any medical decisions people make that don't conform to church doctrine).

"They'll make it happen," was her response.

Suffice to say, I was upset. That was unprofessional of her, and I let enough other people - nurses and doctors - know that I considered it unprofessional, and so I didn't see her again.

I have. They say the same thing to able-bodied people who are busy or otherwise barred from participation.
Really. They ask able-bodied people who request special ballots to answer intrusive questions such as how they get their groceries and mail, and how they get to doctors' appointments? They ask for their bank statements as ID for voting, in an effort to deter them? They tell able-bodied voters, "I'll send someone to take care of that if I have the time"?

I have to wonder how many mobility-disabled voters who want to vote haven't been voting because they don't know their rights and are afraid to insist on the ones they do know they have. Over the years I've heard about people who are housebound who don't think they're allowed to vote, so they don't try, or they accept it when a lazy, officious, or just plain prejudiced Returning Officer either says 'no' or tells them they have to jump through certain hoops they really don't have to, like sending in copies of their ID. That's not necessary for in-home special ballots. Just be aware that the EC team will take photos of the ID used, so don't use any financial documents or SIN card.

Nobody specifically dislikes people with poor upbringings

I really don't think this is true. Though it just occurred to me that maybe "poor" here means "bad" and not "lacking money"?

Assuming it did mean "lacking money" (my initial interpretation), I think there is systematic prejudice against poor people, but I've always thought that "classism" was a dumb concept because it seems like the goal should be to do away with inequality, rather than keep inequality and just have the rich be nicer to the poor.

Opression is somewhat of a teen/ first world issue. If you are starving you arent likely to focus on such.
Btw, Greece used to be #1 (or at least #2, after south korea or italy iirc) in plastic surgery per capita. Anxiety and a sense of position will lead to various problems.

Top Bottom