Orbis New Civilizations Development

Why the Ordo Machinarum is not a religion, like the White Hand ?

Ordo is my own creation, when I merged the Mechanos to RifE. I'm actually planning to remove it, too civ-specific.

I believe Ahwaric mentioned he is planning to add it in future version :)

I do not recall him ever saying that. :p

I do not recall him ever saying that. :p

Yeah, I just found post where I thought he said it, but it seems that he actually said it's fitting but too civ-specific. Sorry for misinformation :blush:
Though I have to admit I like Ordo Machinarum... maybe not in existing form, but whole idea and concept are very interesting ;)

Yeah, I just found post where I thought he said it, but it seems that he actually said it's fitting but too civ-specific. Sorry for misinformation :blush:
Though I have to admit I like Ordo Machinarum... maybe not in existing form, but whole idea and concept are very interesting ;)

We have something to replace it. ;)

Ordo itself may be brought back as a 'Cult' (guild, of sorts); A new religion called Airandamar will be brought in to replace Machinarum. And this one has fully fleshed out lore, and helps integrate one of the new civs without being civ-specific at all.

And that's all the info I'll give. :p

My answer to Kalina :

Yes, me too.

And I think they can spread their cult of machines, to convert other civilizations to their way, so for me the Ordo Machinarum is a religion like the White Hand, linked to a civ but which can be evolve in a global religion.

The clock tower may be the the religious building, like in Rife, and we can imagine an other pagan temple for mechanos... a planetarium ?

Well, Valkrionn... I will search in Rife ^^

I played a game with the Sheaim lately and came up with an idea I´d like to discuss: could their demon-summoning become more like the current mercenary system?

In addition to the current system of random creatures appearing from portals, they could actively affect the type of evil extraplanar creatures they are trying to summon to Erebus. And to conduct such specific sacrifice, they could potentially need Reagents or Incence - but most importantly Sacrificial Slaves (individuals with magic potential, odd birthmarks or just average poor young maidens), a new non-combat Sheaim unique unit type that could be sacrificed in cities with Planar Gates to summon creatures of specific unit type, but with random abilities and extraplanar race.

I though there could be two ways to gain them - they first and more difficult one would make them pop up every now and then while pillaging enemy cottages and/or razing enemy cities. They could also be spawned in Sheaim cities randomly in a bit similar manner than Grigori adventurers or Scion Reborns. Another route to gain them would be via trade after the Undercouncil decision of setting up slave trade is established - their prize in slave trade and spawn rates could be set up high enough to keep them balanced.

What do you think?

Well, while it is quite complicated I think general idea is excellent :) I would simplify it though - obtaining and sacrificing slaves is something that might be difficult for AI and is a lot of micromanaging for human players. But if you would pay in citizens, like with rush production ? Shouldn't be that difficult to implement (current mercenary system but different units and population instead of gold) and it works well with Sacrifice the Weak civic that allows huge cities with lots of unhappy (so useless) population. With some work (but I have to admit I don't know how it works so I'm just speculating) it might be possible to teach it to AI - I believe it can use rushing via population and mercenary system.

Sacrifice the Weak civic that allows huge cities with lots of unhappy (so useless) population.
Flauros : "The population is never useless.". ^^

It is a good idea. Maybe the slaver could be added to a city to become a unhappy citizen, which can be usefull with the "creature rushing" with population, and can be usefull too for Calabims.

Flauros : "The population is never useless.". ^^

It is a good idea. Maybe the slaver could be added to a city to become a unhappy citizen, which can be usefull with the "creature rushing" with population, and can be usefull too for Calabims.

It might create some balance issues, if you can get slaves easily via undercouncil for example, even without resolution you can have base 35% enslave chance. But even without it slaves would be useful - with your population being sacrificed to summon demons, you will need those slaves to build spawning buildings (like mage guild or bath house) faster.
One thing to consider here is scaling with AC, to give Sheaim reason to rise it. Easiest way is to limit what creatures can be summoned. For example, you can summon those weak melee demons even at AC 10, but need it higher for Minotaurs or Witches.
Second is interaction with normal spawning mechanic - easiest here is simply to make them count as if they were spawned by planar gate. You can go over limit (or maybe you can't but this might be difficult to do and unnecessary) but it means you won't get free ones from gates.
And those creatures might need some rebalancing - adding some better ones (like Balors, Death Knights and so on), improving weaker ones (Marauder, Revealers ?) a bit and maybe adding free xp from high AC. Right now, usually only Witches are useful as even high strength units aren't that useful if they start at level one. This is even more important in Orbis than in base FfH, as it's pretty easy to have units start at level 3 or even 4 in mid-game.

One idea I just had: The Sheaim are supposed to be all about Armageddon, and bringing Hell to Erebus. Why not emphasize this? Have each city's spawn odds (And spawn cap?) be modified by the amount of hell terrain in it's vicinity. Gives you a concrete reason to summon the infernals and welcome Hell, without making it too strong in the early game.

Please do those. both cap and odds. Honestly I have life mages sitting in all my cities when I play sheaim since sacrifice the weak works much better with grassland worked tiles than with flames burning everything.

Please do those. both cap and odds. Honestly I have life mages sitting in all my cities when I play sheaim since sacrifice the weak works much better with grassland worked tiles than with flames burning everything.

I'd honestly forgotten about that idea.

Repost it in the RifE tester's group, so I don't forget about it again, will you? :p

I think that it should be implemented in Orbis :)

Why are there 3 civilizations who you pretty much appear in the planescape torment game? (and the planescape universe)
Mechanos: In the planescape universe it is a lawful neutral plane, and the gravity is centered around each individual (giant) gear, and the entire sky is made of gears. The gearspirits do all the mantainence, and Modrons doing all the fighting.

Dao: in the planescape universe tha dao are the race of genies that live in the elemental plane of earth.

Scions of Patria: In planescape torment, you find an undead civilization that unites under 3 leaders (who unite under 1 imaginary one)
Scions of patria is very much like that.
my questions remain.

Having written a number of the lore entries for the Mechanos (Maer, Verrochio, Talos, Handgunner, Goliath and Printing Press), I can assure you that I possess almost no knowledge about the Planescape universe and that this was not my source of inspiration for those entries. I believe that Arkham4269, who also wrote a number of the pedia entries for the Mechanos, once stated that he was attempting to mimic the style of Victorian natural philosophers.

There is a thread for pedia entries in this forum, in which you are welcome to contribute your own ideas for consideration.

still... I find it strange.

( by the way planescape is a dungeons & dragons universe)

My personal preference is the Scions, although when you divide your civilization (start a colony) as Korinna than the new guy can build Korinna as a unit. Not a complaint, just curious as to why I'm fighting for him while leading my own civilization.
Also, civilopedia entries for the Dao would be nice.

Top Bottom