1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PAE VI

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Ancient Europe' started by pie_at, Dec 28, 2018.

1. tot

tot Chieftain

Can you give me a link to what you are referring to? I cannot seem to find it within what I linked, but maybe I am missing it.
    As for the flooding in the delta vs upstream, this does not seem to make any sense. In the delta the average flood height will be much smaller compared to in the Nile valley where the flood does not have the same space to expand into. If you look at Karnak and Luxor you can see they were not built at the edge of the floodplain, but rather at the edge of the Nile itself. If they were able to withstand the water-dirt-masses each year then why wouldn't a city where flood waters were much lower? I'm sure someone with more knowledge could show Nilometer readings from these respective sites.

Also I believe the flooding of the Nile was an annual event brought on by the monsoon hitting the Ethiopian highlands, what is the second flood?
    This is my fault for not adding 'at the correct time' because I am not sure this comes at the correct time. The Nile was settled and heavily developed for agriculture well before this tech comes online. I just went back through my ai-autosaves and found approx 500bc the Egyptians got this tech. This is very late to transform the Nile if the delta is intended to be all swamps until this point.
    I believe where you wrote 'wealth' you meant 'health' but I may be mistaken.
    I feel you are comparing apples to oranges. Why could the limit of +1 health for any number of grains not be extended to new resources as well? I am not saying by any measure that any added resources should be more powerful than the current resources, and if the current method is to limit all grain resources to a total of +1 health any new resources would follow that.

2. Johnons

Johnons Chieftain

Not sure why, but on any map with barbarian cities to start with the wait time in between turns is significantly longer even on standard size with graphics lowered all the way the wait time was around 35 seconds. This never happened to me in between turns prior to the beta patch. My load times were either instant or only 5 seconds or so for hundreds of turns prior to the patch. Wait time is not an issue in other maps with no starting barbarian cities. Is this just the limits of my computer or is anyone else experiencing this. I tried different map sizes as well and the problem got relatively worse the larger the map I used. I did manage to get the load time down to 25 seconds on a standard map with minimum graphics. I play in windowed mode to prevent crashes from happening as well. Love the changes you made but the wait time is ruining the early game for me. Anything I can try to get the wait time down. I very much prefer to play with the barbarian cities. Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

3. tot

tot Chieftain

Are you on the newest update? I was having issues related to infinite spawn barbs moving to cities but it seems to be fixed with the newest update.
    Can you post which scenario is lagging you? I can run it and see how it effects me.

4. Johnons

Johnons Chieftain

I downloaded the latest Beta patch and installed the files over the old ones. I didn't really make it far enough into the game to notice the infinite passive aggressive archers, but I am glad they are gone as they were such a bother in previous games I played.

L5000BC 26 CIVS+Barbs was between 25 and 35 seconds a turn up to Turn 35.

M5000BC 18 CIVS+Barbs was 20-25 seconds by turn 5

Europe XL 40 CIVS+Cities was completely fine by comparison. ~1 second for many turns slowly ramping up.

For some reason the barbarians seem to be the problem. They seemed to be behaving pretty normally just building warriors for the most part so far. This problem started after I installed the beta patch for sure.

5. pie_at

pie_at PAE-Let's play ancient :)

Oh, ok I am sorry for my two mistakes:
    1) I meant health not wealth :D you checked it.
    and yes, I know I could put more and more bonus stuff into the mod, but where's the end? if I add apple trees, I'd have to add pear trees too and so on... I prefer quality instead of quantity. And adding tons of sthg doesn't mean to make a game better. I like the amount of things as it is. I have to keep an eye on balance and playability and clarity.

2) second flood: that's nonsense (my fault), I had the two times of harvesting in mind. sorry, I was a bit absent in my thoughts.
    Ok, let's go back to the actual problem, why barley is not cultivatable on grassland. It was a strategic reason and I didn't thought of the grassland plots in the nil delta, which looks better with grassland instead of desert with flood plains.
    So, ok if this it the only problem, I change the fact that barley can be cultivated on grassland too. you're right, barley (what I forgot to account) can be spread even in northern regions. So grassland is ok for me. I'll change that.

That's bad, I improved turn times generally... but added some stuff for Barbarians (creating animals the whole game long, creating Barbarian fortresses, creating bear caves, checking plots with deer, camels, elephants, horses and war dogs every turn).
    As a consolation: Barbarians should become less the more turns you play (razing cities). So perhaps, it's only a starting hurdle.

Jarlaxe Baenre likes this.
  6. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

Is there any way to increase the number of Trade wagons dynamically? Like, adding one additional Trade wagon able to be built per metropolis, something like that?

7. Jarlaxe Baenre

Jarlaxe Baenre Chieftain

Limits of X units per Y are set in UnitInfos.xml. I'm 99% sure that it can't be changed without dll changes.

However, the limit in the xml could be removed and replaced with some python (unit.canTrain) where training them is disabled after you reach a certain amount, and reenabled when you either lose one or grow larger. Python workarounds like that slow the game down a (very tiny) bit, though.

cmakk1012 likes this.
  8. pie_at

I added a new beta patch today.

this week I had to add changes for two new scenarios. after some test games, I hope nothing stands in the way for the final release.

New stuff in there:
    - a huge War of Diadochi scenario by JohnDay (210 BC)
    - a small Britonic scenario by JohnDay
    - a very huge Eurasian map with 35 CIVs by brettschmitt
    - new buttons for buildings with required religion (small religion button on the top left), also for the holy shrines (a star)
    - religion pedia screen now shows those buildings, that need their religion
    - supply wagons can now pick up food from city stocks

9. Manarch

Manarch Chieftain

Right in time, I was trying to finish a game on the previous version of VI, but just came to retrieve the update because of a constant game crash problem at one turn. Thank you! =)
    [Religion entries] And that's indeed the kind of infos I was seeking in the pedia, it's perfect.

Edit: facing crashes also after patch installation, despite reinstalling from 0. How can I find out its causes?

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  10. pie_at

Save games are not compatible with the patch.
    Where do you have the crash?

11. brettschmitt

brettschmitt Chieftain

Ahm, Pie?
    This 35 Civ scenario is not finished yet. Please don't include it at this moment.
    I will finish the smaller 30 Civ map this weekend for your PAE VI. The bigger one will come later...

By the way. To everyone who has downloaded my Eurasia XL 30 Civs. There will be some changes again. I forgot some iron resources and a few other things...

12. Manarch

Manarch Chieftain

I mean, a game created before adding patch 3 crashed at one turn while playing without patch 3, prompting me to look for the upgrade, and then a game created after adding patch 3 crashed while playing with patch 3.
    First case was ~ at turn 600, large map, epic speed, Pae-Life
    Second case was ~ at turn 120, same settings, same civ played
    Crash occured toward the end of the AI turns, maybe during barbarian turn.

13. pie_at

@Brett: ok, I've dropped it for the moment and uploaded the patch again.

@Manarch: puh, perhaps a save can help. then I can have a look (or someone else).

14. Manarch

Manarch Chieftain

Certainly, here's the latest save under patch 3. Crash occurs after the end of the current turn.
    In case, I also join the latest save I have of the crash before patch3 was installed. I don't know exactly what's the delay before it crashed, shouldn't have been very long.
    I'm curious of what causes it.

Edit: reuploaded both saves right before crash

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  15. pie_at

hm. strange. the patch3 save is faulty. ctd at once by clicking next turn. ctd even when going into WB.

but the other save "ant" works for me. several turns. no ctd.

16. Manarch

Manarch Chieftain

Odd indeed, since ant was taken from the previous settings, it shouldn't work under patch 3 und doesn't for me. For save-patch3, I twiddled a bit with different occurings, but to no avail. Each time the game crashes at the same point.
    But it's only slightly vexing, for the ant-game was all but won, and the patch3-game only on the beginnings. I only wondered what provoked it and worried I would need to have a care.
    Thank you for your time, I'll be back if it reoccurs on subsequent games.

17. pie_at

Perhaps, you can find out! Every bugfix is important ;)

18. mikmac

mikmac Chieftain

Wow!
    Lots of new content! I shall kick off with the small Britonnia scen- looks fab! Also, I should be able to finish it before final version is out.
    BTW, what would be the appropriate thread to post screenies and such in?

19. brettschmitt

brettschmitt Chieftain

20. Manarch

Manarch Chieftain

The troubles are definitely consistent, but I may crudely be on something: a couple of tests under Pae_Life revealed that editor's ctd begins when [Leadership is researched/Palace is built]. Doesn't seem to happen with another map choice (fractal).I'm taking a closer look at those and trying to confirm it.
    Does anyone else experience this kind of problems? I'ld like to know if it's local datas' corruption.