PAE VI

Hmmm... the Trojan Horse usually should have the bombard city button.
Not sure why you don't have it.

Maybe Pie can tell you more next time he's here...

If I want to disable AI commissioning mercenaries, can I do that? Is it possible to disable it somehow, maybe delete some folder? its just really annoying

thanks!

Hello, after playing some with Pae VI, I noted a few strange points in the game mechanisms. They are maybe intended; but I don't know if it's so, therefore I would like to highlight it.

First thing I noticed is that the mod's loading into BTS is much faster, that's pleasant.

Fishing boats are considered military units regarding the production multipliers.
The Horse breeding building has some 11 000 provincial cities requirement.
Chariot archers receive a penalty of -2305% when attacking in a forest.
The barbarian (at least) archers switching camp are counted as hunters upon their death.
Earthquakes seem to provoke wildfire as well.

Still about archer, in 2/3 of an epic big game, they are really numerous in some places. I killed 300-400 at this point. It's ok, if a little repetitive, as they're not really aggressive. I'm not complaining, sometimes a stack of 10 will kind of try to pillage, and if they all attacked that would be really impossible, but maybe the point of balance between passiveness and aggressivity is not quite reached yet.
Speaking of it, there is a lot less animals in the beginning than in V. It means that one cannot anymore rely on hunting to grow the early cities, and that exploration leads to less probability of coming nose against muzzle with a bear, so is much easier.
I didn't manage to give spearmen the fifth promotion of terrain bonus. Is this the case for all warrior units and if so, how are created the corresponding academies?

Also, could the cost of cult's maintenance be explained to me? I don't understand how it's calculated nor find where it's described.
Are the characteristics of PAE_Life and PAE_Creation listed somewhere please?

The mod gives me really good impressions. Toward mid-game, I look at my territory, and see achievements that I couldn't have dreamed of or even envisioned in the early step of my settlements. I have a great feeling of managing a true civilisation, in all its aspects, whereas in the harder difficulties of BTS, I felt only that I was preparing for the next war. I commend the fine work that led to a balance that achieve a slow spread of civs on the map.
It also entertains me that in every game, one civ falls to the barbarian at some point.
In the same vein, I like that doctrines don't mainly describe a progress, but are closely responding to the needs of a situation. Until now, I mainly played with civ IIII where it's a no-brainer, and Civ IV does better, but in the end, I was almost every time doing the same choices. PAE is much more diverse and Iike it a lot, because it's giving me a choice to think over.
I'm also learning that some civs can be truly, truly treacherous.:) (+26 attitude means nothing to some)

A last request, could the techs exclusive to civs be seized in another way than conquest? I feel a little frustration when they're dangling before my eyes yet I can't have it. Although I think that simply stealing them would be too easy overall, I think it would be plausible to have a way to obtain them, let's say when the civs that have it are vassalized. I still didn't think of a defintive idea though. Maybe extort them at the price of the vassal breaking of with you? Or a random chance, a very very low one, to obtain it if the vassal have such technology, or when trades are standing for a very long time? Since I most likely won't be able to do it myself, I just wanted to suggest a few of my thoughts.

Last edited:
But I mean I have it by a city that needs its defenses worn down, I’m not sure how to actually use it because I can’t bombard with it and I can’t move it into the city?
If the Trojan Horse is in front of a city with defence points, click the unit and you will see a button for that next to all other unit buttons.

Fishing boats are considered military units regarding the production multipliers.
Yes, because otherwise the AI build and disband them all the time in some cities. A BTS bug. Don't know why.

The Horse breeding building has some 11 000 provincial cities requirement.
oh... removed the building. needless now.

Chariot archers receive a penalty of -2305% when attacking in a forest.
hm... strange.... I'll have a look.

The barbarian (at least) archers switching camp are counted as hunters upon their death.
What? In the statistics? perhaps because they are unitcombat_archer?

Earthquakes seem to provoke wildfire as well.
Is ok so.

Still about archer, in 2/3 of an epic big game, they are really numerous in some places. I killed 300-400 at this point. It's ok, if a little repetitive, as they're not really aggressive. I'm not complaining, sometimes a stack of 10 will kind of try to pillage, and if they all attacked that would be really impossible, but maybe the point of balance between passiveness and aggressivity is not quite reached yet.
Speaking of it, there is a lot less animals in the beginning than in V. It means that one cannot anymore rely on hunting to grow the early cities, and that exploration leads to less probability of coming nose against muzzle with a bear, so is much easier.
I try to balance this a bit.

I didn't manage to give spearmen the fifth promotion of terrain bonus. Is this the case for all warrior units and if so, how are created the corresponding academies?
No, every unit should get it. Perhaps you don't get it when fighting against Barbarians. There is also a xp level limit when fighting against Barbarians (a BTS setting)
Also, could the cost of cult's maintenance be explained to me? I don't understand how it's calculated nor find where it's described.
puh, it works like the BTS corporations. there are threads in this forum in which this is very well explained.
Are the characteristics of PAE_Life and PAE_Creation listed somewhere please?
puh.. I don't know if this is possible in python files. But it's a good idea! I'll have look....

The mod gives me really good impressions. Toward mid-game, I look at my territory, and see achievements that I couldn't have dreamed of or even envisioned in the early step of my settlements. I have a great feeling of managing a true civilisation, in all its aspects, whereas in the harder difficulties of BTS, I felt only that I was preparing for the next war. I commend the fine work that led to a balance that achieve a slow spread of civs on the map.
It also entertains me that in every game, one civ falls to the barbarian at some point.
In the same vein, I like that doctrines don't mainly describe a progress, but are closely responding to the needs of a situation. Until now, I mainly played with civ IIII where it's a no-brainer, and Civ IV does better, but in the end, I was almost every time doing the same choices. PAE is much more diverse and Iike it a lot, because it's giving me a choice to think over.
I'm also learning that some civs can be truly, truly treacherous.:) (+26 attitude means nothing to some)
:D thx

A last request, could the techs exclusive to civs be seized in another way than conquest? I feel a little frustration when they're dangling before my eyes yet I can't have it. Although I think that simply stealing them would be too easy overall, I think it would be plausible to have a way to obtain them, let's say when the civs that have it are vassalized. I still didn't think of a defintive idea though. Maybe extort them at the price of the vassal breaking of with you? Or a random chance, a very very low one, to obtain it if the vassal have such technology, or when trades are standing for a very long time? Since I most likely won't be able to do it myself, I just wanted to suggest a few of my thoughts.
Hm... isn't it possible to get those techs from a vassal in the BTS trade screen? I'll have a look.
It's a good idea to get a tech when trading something special. Perhaps when a special trade was accomplished.

In my last game as Sparta on Prince difficulty in the Eastern Med 40 Civs map, it felt like the tech balance was a little bit off. By the time 0 AD came around and Christianity spread, I was only just barely researching the Phalanx, and I was one of the most technologically advanced civs, at least in Greece. It felt like all of the civs were a bit behind compared to the date, but balanced well with each other. Is that intentional?

Hello,

I am a long time lurker on the forums. I would like to say thank you for all your hard work on this mod, I have played it for years now. In truth its the only reason I play civ4 any more! I love the time period and your attention to detail. This is truly a masterpiece. I have been playing the beta and love the changes you have made. I usually play on the S5000 18civs+Barbs(although currently I am trying out the 17civs+barbs on Emperor as Greece). Horses are more prevalent, AI's with harder starts no longer flounder in despair. I have found that I am punished more for greedy starts. I haven't noticed the AI collecting stranded goods. The only really odd thing I have noticed is the Dacians have city names the Mesopotamian civs usually have (Ur, Assur, ect.) it is to be noted that I am currently playing the map that have the phoneticians as the eastern most civ. I love the new great general ability to inspire the troops! I currently have two and all they do is tell war stories to my armies. I used the new promotion(Rhetoric) on one of my units and it does not reduce rioting level by one as the city garrison promotion does, but as I said I am able to give my troops moral with it. It is a minor complaint but honestly I love the moral boost so much I am not sure I care. The update to the trading system is also lovely and works great. I love the extra information you have provided. I hope this has been helpful and am glad to provide any other information you need about what I have seen so far. More to follow I am sure.

In my last game as Sparta on Prince difficulty in the Eastern Med 40 Civs map, it felt like the tech balance was a little bit off. By the time 0 AD came around and Christianity spread, I was only just barely researching the Phalanx, and I was one of the most technologically advanced civs, at least in Greece. It felt like all of the civs were a bit behind compared to the date, but balanced well with each other. Is that intentional?
puh... there are a lot of factors that have influence of the research speed. 40 civs could mean a very well interaction with lots of tech trading, but it can also mean lots of war without any transactions. there are so many settings to allow a modder to change the tech costs, like for map size, handicap, era. but you can't influence the tech costs by the amount of CIVs on a map.
so I am sure, if you play the same map with less than 18 civs, you'll come nearer to our historical time line.

But that's Civ. I never had the same time line in all my played games in CIV, Warlord or BTS.

Yes, it's bad. Adding more CIVs means changing tech costs. But then it doesn't work for 18 civs anymore....

Hello,

I am a long time lurker on the forums. I would like to say thank you for all your hard work on this mod, I have played it for years now. In truth its the only reason I play civ4 any more! I love the time period and your attention to detail. This is truly a masterpiece. I have been playing the beta and love the changes you have made. I usually play on the S5000 18civs+Barbs(although currently I am trying out the 17civs+barbs on Emperor as Greece). Horses are more prevalent, AI's with harder starts no longer flounder in despair. I have found that I am punished more for greedy starts. I haven't noticed the AI collecting stranded goods. The only really odd thing I have noticed is the Dacians have city names the Mesopotamian civs usually have (Ur, Assur, ect.) it is to be noted that I am currently playing the map that have the phoneticians as the eastern most civ. I love the new great general ability to inspire the troops! I currently have two and all they do is tell war stories to my armies. I used the new promotion(Rhetoric) on one of my units and it does not reduce rioting level by one as the city garrison promotion does, but as I said I am able to give my troops moral with it. It is a minor complaint but honestly I love the moral boost so much I am not sure I care. The update to the trading system is also lovely and works great. I love the extra information you have provided. I hope this has been helpful and am glad to provide any other information you need about what I have seen so far. More to follow I am sure.
That's very, very, very good to hear! THX!

About the rhetoric promotion: it has 100% revolt protection. Doesn't it work? Then I can try to lower it to 50%. Perhaps civ has trouble with 100%.

And an info for all: I fixed lots of small hidden bugs until the latest BETA upload. So please stay tuned, soon there will be a new BETA version. sorry for those circumstances, but there are sooooo many small things that had to be improved/changed/removed. Keep being patient! THX

About the rhetoric promotion: it has 100% revolt protection. Doesn't it work? Then I can try to lower it to 50%. Perhaps civ has trouble with 100%.

That part works, but the reduced anarchy does not work. For example I captured a city and it was to be in anarchy for 7 turns. I moved my hero into the city and it stayed at 7 turns of anarchy, where as the city garrison promotion of a different unit lowered the anarchy to 6 turns. The description of the rhetoric promotion indicates that it will do this, but it does not.

Ah! no, these are two different things. With the promotion you protect your own city from revolt cause of war weariness, bad religions, etc...

The anarchy of captured cities works different. Only military units can decrease the city revolt of a conquered city until 4. no matter what promotion. Is your rhetoric unit a military combat unit?

Edit: but that's a good idea: shall I enable a rhetoric unit to set anarchy to 0 in conquered cities?

I see. Yes, my Rhetoric promotion was on a short bowman. I was trying to use it offensively to quell resistance in conquered cities to keep the war machine rolling. I like the idea of making it work on captured cities as well. It's a cool idea to have a hero that is just really charismatic. I'm not sure how the mechanic you had in V worked (sometimes cities would just instantly turn over culture and all to yours upon attacking it) I really only experienced that once in a game as Rome where I marched across north Africa and every city from Carthage to the nile just gave up without a fight when my armies attacked. I assumed it was because I had such an overwhelming force, but towards the end it was pretty close and it kept happening. That was quite the experience though. Made me feel like I was saving those fine people from their cruel oppressor(Ramesees II did attack me first after all. Besides that it has only occasionally happened in different games. I digress though. I'm feeling like some civilopedia reading is in order!

In short: Yes! I like that idea.

Also I am curious about that city garrison promotion. It works everytime you move a unit into a captured city. I used to exploit this and move the same unit into the city multiple times to reduce the city from 6 to 4 in one turn. I did this as the gauls once and took most of europe very quickly as most of my units had the promotion given to them at creation (those early barbarian attacks allowed me to get level 5 city garrison on my first warrior.)

The changes to governors is quite nice too. The AI seems to be handling it well now that you don't need one in every city.

Edit: but that's a good idea: shall I enable a rhetoric unit to set anarchy to 0 in conquered cities?

Personally I would say reduce it, but not to 0. Rhetoric shouldn't work as well on conquered people as on your own. Maybe 50%?

@Manarch - I assume all those barbarian archers are being spawned by a barbarian fort. It will stop if you destroy the fort (at least in that place), either with a military unit or a spy.

After doing some more warmongering I am inclined to agree that it needn't be changed. I've been using it to get rid of fear and war weariness in my veteran units.

I haven't figured out fear yet. It is supposed to go away when you defeat the unit that caused it, but I have killed entire cities of units and it hasn't gone away. I just assumed one of my allies killed it for me. That leaves you in a really bad situation if you have a large stack of units though. All of the sudden your army isn't quite good enough to take a city. Rhetoric for the win to combat this! I am really digging the new stuff in this mod.

On Eurasian maps, the Sea Peoples spawn in the Indian Ocean :p

It’s not like that’s something that can be easily gotten rid of, though, so I’ll just edit them out myself! :lol:

On Eurasian maps, the Sea Peoples spawn in the Indian Ocean :p

It’s not like that’s something that can be easily gotten rid of, though, so I’ll just edit them out myself! :lol:

Can they not just substitute for pirates? I know they can't have been Sea Peoples there but I'm sure there would have been plenty of pirates.

Perhaps there was an Indian Ocean equivalent of the Sea Peoples.

Last edited:
I'm at around turn 440 and have experienced the game freezing up intermittently. It has happened perhaps 3 or 4 times. It happens whenever I zoom out to the world view. Does anyone else experience this as well? I also just had a complete crash where the screen just went black and the application shut down in the middle of my turn. I would try to recreate this but my last save was 2 turns ago, and at this point the turns are massive.

I went into the world builder to take a look at how everything was going. The AI seems to have a proclivity for building wealth-research-espionage and princely chariots! I did notice fighting a lot more princely chariots this game. The distribution of horses spans the entire map as well.

I love how I learn something new every time I play this mod. I never realized you could buy goods with grain wagons and move them to other cities. I thought you had to pick up the resource from the actual tile and move it to another one. I think i just misread the civilopedia in this regards. I also did not know that you could create great generals from units attaining the legendary status

I also really enjoyed the military ranks for my Spartans, Hopolites and Thessalonian Calvary. It's a great RPG element that adds some flavor to the game. I will have a hard time trusting Ramesees after he betrayed me and sunk my ship containing my spartan hero returning to the capital to be adorned with his ceremonial armor.

Is there anyway to increase the number of catastrophes that happen in the game? I simply love those! I have had several of them happen at terrible times through out the games I have played and I love them. This game it was a comet crashing down on Epherous after I had just delared war on the hittites. It seemed the gods were angry with me for my war mongering. The ash spread across the land all the way up to Constantinople destroying all the improvements that I had just finished turns before. I was devastated but then I noticed that the comet had left behind some precious metals in the lands around Epherous. I decided to adorn my cerimonial armor with these metals to never forget the disaster that happened that day. If that comet hadn't of hit there I would of not had access to that badass armor as I had no access to zinc to make brass.

Your short view of your game sounds really amazing! Love it. ;)

Crash: oh, this could be a wrong art file: the hoplite officer has a bad file structure.
If you want to continue your game, you can change all ART_DEF_UNIT_HOPLIT entries to ART_DEF_UNIT_HOPLIT_GREEK entries in the PAE/Assets/XML/Units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml (I think there are only two). Otherwise you have to wait for my next upload.
sorry for that. But that's why PAE still is in BETA.

More disasters: if you play as Apocalypto (your leader name) the frequency of these catastrophes will quadruple. => See PAE concept pedia for natural disasters.

I never realized you could buy goods with grain wagons and move them to other cities. I thought you had to pick up the resource from the actual tile and move it to another one. I think i just misread the civilopedia in this regards.
Yes exactly!
With that grain wagon you can spread your resources everywhere... and even remove existing ones to replace them. That also works in hostile territories... so you actually can steal resources ;)

Your short view of your game sounds really amazing! Love it. ;)

Crash: oh, this could be a wrong art file: the hoplite officer has a bad file structure.
If you want to continue your game, you can change all ART_DEF_UNIT_HOPLIT entries to ART_DEF_UNIT_HOPLIT_GREEK entries in the PAE/Assets/XML/Units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml (I think there are only two). Otherwise you have to wait for my next upload.
sorry for that. But that's why PAE still is in BETA.

More disasters: if you play as Apocalypto (your leader name) the frequency of these catastrophes will quadruple. => See PAE concept pedia for natural disasters.

This fix worked! I had just gotten the stratego before this turn. That must of been it.

I also started a game as Apocalypto and am very satisfied so far. The chaos is happening all the time. Love it.

That also works in hostile territories... so you actually can steal resources ;)

That is very devious sir and I will use it in my future games! How did you even figure that out!? Teach me your ways. I feel like there will be a grain wagon in all my future army stacks from now on hahaha!

Top Bottom