Pallada-Class Protected Cruiser

Hello makrisgialos,

don't add the code to existing Civ5 files : editing vanilla files is bad and can lead to huge problems from incompatibility with mods to CPU meltdown :)

You need to make a small mod to get your unit working safely. You can make as many files as Firaxis did (spliting units and unitclasses in 2 files for example) or just put everything in 1 file.

This part defines the class of the new unit. Each time you create a new unit you need to create a new class for it

Here are set the stats of the unit.
From my example you will need to balance some data to your own needs :
(what you have to balance is in red, what you can keep stays in black)

<PrereqTech> set the technologie prereq. For a vanilla tech tree Dynamite could be a good choice as Chrisbburn did

<Combat> The melee strength of the unit. Should be between the Frigate and the Battleship.
<RangedCombat> The range strength of the unit. Should be between the Frigate and the Battleship.
<Cost> How much the unit will cost to build
<FaithCost> Same but in faith, it's 2x the cost (or less or more if you wish :) )
<RequiresFaithPurchaseEnabled> With this setting the religion must allow the purchase with Faith. If it's not defined then Faith Purchase is enabled in all cases (I think).
<Moves> How many tiles the unit can move
<Range> How far the unit can fire. Vanilla settings are 3.
<ObsoleteTech> At which Tech the unit is obsolete, for vanilla settings it should be when the Battleship unlocks.

<Unit_ClassUpgrades>
In which unitclass your Protected Cruiser will upgrade. For vanilla settings it should be the Battleship.

<Unit_FreePromotions>
Which promotions the unit will get at start. At minimum should be the battleship's promotions.

<Unit_AITypes>
Tells the AI how to use the unit. Same settings as the Battleship.

<Unit_Flavors>
Tells the AI how much value it gives the unit to build it. Same settings as the Battleship.

<IconTextureAtlases>
The table defines the icons and flag for the unit (not the strategic view icon)
The lines

in the Units table work with the IconTextureAtlases.

<Language_en_US>
replace all YOUR HELP TEXT HERE. with your own text. My best friend for the pedia part is wikipedia :)

CODE FOR THE ARTDEFINES The following tables tell the game which arts to use and how (with which templates for the animations). You don't need to change anything at all here. The template I used is from the frigate because the protected cruiser fires from the side

<ArtDefine_UnitInfos>

<ArtDefine_UnitInfoMemberInfos>

<ArtDefine_UnitMemberInfos>

<ArtDefine_UnitMemberCombats>

<ArtDefine_UnitMemberCombatWeapons>

If you want a resource prereq for your unit (coal is the best and more accurate choice) then add those lines :

Code:
	<Unit_ResourceQuantityRequirements>
		<Row>
			<UnitType>UNIT_PROTECTED_CRUISER</UnitType>
			<ResourceType>RESOURCE_COAL</ResourceType>
		</Row>
</Unit_ResourceQuantityRequirements>

Again you can put all of this in 1 XML file and you write 1 SQL for the strategicview.
Both files must be loaded/activated via a mod that you can do with Modbuddy.

I could make the mod for you but I think it's better if you do it. You will learn how to make your own mod and in the future it will be easier for you.
Kael's guide will tell you all you need for this (90% of the work is done with the code I gave you).

If you need more help just ask :)

ah and ... don't edit the vanilla files ! :)

Dear Hulfgar,

I read all night what you wrote plus the code.
Just to say my conclusions:

1.the values like tech required for a unit or resource needed (in units.xml) are easily edited and I have no problem in this.Same in unit classes.

2.I have edited the original files of the game.There is no going back now,cause a lot of staff needed to this game,and I have to reinstall the game in order to reverse all the changes I have made(which is impossible).

3.I considered that ship of the line for example,should be available to all civilizations,not just the English one.And what I did to be available to all?I simply copy the code for ship of the line,then create a new class for it and all done.The art files path was already there ,so there was no need for further changes.I m telling you this as an example.

4.From the above,i haven't understood,perhaps I m stupid,my brain cpu is definately lower than yours,how to create my own mod.i can only edit xml files.

5.Therefore,can you please make this mod with the ship?,and then I ll try just copy it,cause I want to use a unit from your mod(the early jet fighter),and if you can do this mod with this ship,i think that I will have an example,about the future.Its up to you,no problem if you cant do this. :)

Very nice, i was searching for some new cool stuff for CCTP, this will be my first choice.
:salute:

Hello makrisgialos,

here is the protected cruiser as standalone mod.

it's for BNW

Attachments

• ProtectecCruiser (v 1).civ5mod
    631.6 KB · Views: 138
Hello makrisgialos,

here is the protected cruiser as standalone mod.

it's for BNW

I love you man,you re N1!!!!!!!

Many thanks..!!!!

Now i have a live example about what should i do in order to make mods in the future for other units.
You re the best man,from my heart,i mean it :D

Nice I can replace my ironclad with this for my WWI scenario. Do more ships like this.

Why haven't you gone all the way and put it on the workshop?
because I don't use the Workshop :)

I don't agree with Steam's rules and more exactly I don't accept how they grant themselves all rights over the mods that are uploaded on the Workshop.

because I don't use the Workshop :)

I don't agree with Steam's rules and more exactly I don't accept how they grant themselves all rights over the mods that are uploaded on the Workshop.

I feel the same way none of my stuff is on there.

Top Bottom