1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Patch News!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Stuie, Nov 16, 2005.

1. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Nobody said that.
    If patch was send to QA for final testing in monday, it does not meen it would get released at weekend.

That's just expecting too much.

For some games, it could mean a month too.

2. Scotty Mack

Scotty Mack Chieftain

Loved catching up with this ever evolving and mutating thread.

Group hug guys !

Scotty

3. logical_psycho

logical_psycho Prince

Patches usually get released on a Monday, if it doesn't get released tomorrow expect it next week. They do that so if something serious goes wrong they can get to work on it right away without having to spend their entire weekend in a damage control programme.

4. Sorceresss

Sorceresss Witch

Quite logical.

5. Borgholio

Borgholio Chieftain

Plus, they said they were working "around the clock". If we take them literally, holding the patch until Monday will give them an extra 48 hours to hammer the hell out of it and make sure it works.

6. EDaddy

EDaddy Warlord

So we should expect it today huh? Cool! :)

7. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Let´s hope so...

8. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

The patch could arrive any day now, but it also could take another week or two. There's always the possibility that QA rejects a patch, so that the devs have to fix more/new problems. It's impossible to guarantee a patch date, which is why Firaxis never did that. That said, I certainly hope for the people who experience technical problems that the patch will arrive soon and fix those.

9. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

Or that people lighten up and accept that hardware limits are limits, because quite an amount of complaints come from people with underrated machines.

10. Jecrell

Jecrell Ruled: Civ3 - Civ5

I agree...
    But you do realize that just by saying that you're going to get either shot or flamed right?
    I know for a fact that if this patch doesn't solve every problem there is going to be hell to pay on this forum.

11. snepp

snepp King

One-sided statements have the tendency to do that. ;)

12. FuzzyWeasel

FuzzyWeasel Chieftain

LMFAO

Ok... that's funny.

Heh.

13. FuzzyWeasel

FuzzyWeasel Chieftain

Keep in mind that Gravity is still considered a Theory as well. As are many of the fundamental concepts of neuclear physics.

You still fall. And Hiroshima is still suffering.

And this statement from an avid creationist. :crazyeye:

14. Luv_Muffin

Luv_Muffin Millionaire Playboy

Heh heh. Touche!
    Gravity is weird though. It's not that I fall down, it that the earth jumps up and hits me in the butt sometimes. :D

15. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

Yes, but I refuse to be made silent by those who are disappointed in their PC specifications. Besides that I hope that the CF community would be(come) tougher on those kind of complaints. In general I think the level of complaining in the Civ4-section has dropped to the level of 'Sid Meier you &%*_#@#!, you suck', "Sören is a mo$%&@#&@*' etc, etc.

16. bahwi

bahwi Chieftain

There's a lot more going on than hardware limits. I played Doom 3 at high res when it came out, even had to hit custom to up the graphics settings a bit, and I've upgraded since then.

The problem I'm having is, with a worker, if I hit "A" for Auto, I get my desktop. I guess it needs to be cleaned off, quite dirty now and that MUST be it. If I try to do a worker manually, I can only work on certain tiles, all others crash the game.

I've unpacked, I've cleared cache, I've uninstalled, I've re-installed, I've upgraded my drivers. I even have an ATI card and didn't have the ATI trouble(I always use the ATI clean drivers util before installing an upgrade, then I reboot).

That's all I need fixed. The game (back when I could play it, it did work fine for awhile) played fine, no slowdown until 1950's or so on a huge map.

No, it's not a hardware issue at this point.

17. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

Oh, I don't deny there is 'more' going on but it annoys to read loud reports on misconceptions everyday. We reached some kind of verdict on another forum I attend to by saying 'read the fine manual' if we got the x-maniest question/issue raised again.

18. Ray Patterson

Ray Patterson the dude is not in

well, I think it doesn't get much clearer than 'recommended configuration', if that's what you mean. I have precisely that, and a standard map bogs down considerably in the industrial era, large in classical and huge is just unplayable. And that's at lowest graphics settings! I think standard maps should work fine with minimum graphics on the recommended configuration, and it quite clearly doesn't. I refuse to believe there are all these different problems that clearly many people have that explain why what should be possible isn't.

But, what I was thinking: could it be that this game is so tough on my PC because I have PC133 SDRAM instead of DDR? I have the feeling I have enough memory, it's just too slow.

19. Secarius

Secarius Chieftain

Then please explain to me just why my Intel P4 3.2GHz (on an Intel D845PERL mobo with updated BIOS), 2Gb Kingston RAM and 256Mb Radeon x800XL cannot run the game as intended?

Fact: We paid for a product that would work properly, out of the box, if our machines met the minimum specifications (and mine exceeds them in every category). It does not.

Fact: A number of people have reported serious problems with the game even when running PCs that are not underrated. Yes, I am one of them.

I'd almost be willing to bet that less than 10% of the people who bought this game can actually play it as intended. The vast majority of people are making allowances of some sort or another, just to play. For instance, who can play a huge map, with 16 civs, on conquest mode (no time limit), to completion? Anyone? If not, then why make excuses? It is an option in the game to play it that way, right out of the box (again, as long as you meet specs), so it should work. Heck, in my case, I can't finish any map above standard sized maps -- and then only if I do it quickly (read: I can't let it get too late into the game, or it will completely crash back to desktop).

It'd be like if you bought a Ferrari and found that you could only drive it 20mph due to a problem with your gas pedal. So what if the same model of Ferrari that I bought goes 140mph? We're both using premium gasoline as the manufacturer suggests. That wouldn't matter to you -- all you'd know is that your Ferrari didn't work as advertised. You'd be pissed, and want it fixed immediately -- or you'd want your money back. In fact, if this really happened, you can bet that Ferrari would issue a recall to fix those cars that they made that had the problem you're experiencing. And you wouldn’t be okay with waiting weeks for them to fix it, because all the while they'd be sitting with your hard earned money in their bank account and you'd still be stuck with a broken product. Oh, and this is after you were forced to jimmy open the door just to get in the car in the first place (like unpacking art files to play the game).

So what, in reality, is the difference? In both cases were talking about consumer products where the manufacturer has made a promise as to some level of usability and performance as long as you've done your part (for the game: minimum hardware specs, for the Ferrari: premium gasoline). In both cases, the promise wasn't kept. In both cases we’ve spent our money for a products that flat-out didn’t work as advertised.

So why make excuses? Why are so many people willing to overlook the fact that this game, this consumer product for which they’ve paid, does not work as advertised? (Again, if you cannot play large or huge maps, have messed up graphics and the like, then it…does…not…work – you are not getting what you paid for.)

We, as software consumers, need to be vigilant and hold software developer’s feet the fire, and hold them accountable, when they release software that is flawed as badly as Civ4. Otherwise, you can just expect more of the same, across the board, from other developers as well.

Ah, well… I guess we’re going to see the apologists come out in reply to this. More of the “well it plays fine for me” crowd… (Even though they can’t complete a huge map, have stuttering wonder movies, blacked out terrain, random lockups and the like.)

20. wilebill

wilebill Warlord

"Out of the box" is the problem expectation in the light of all previous releases of PC games that I can remember. They've all required patches. Usually the first patch was not the final answer. Rise of Nations did not work "out of the box" for me, even though the demo had run fine. It took ten days of diddling to get it to run at all on my machine which wildly exceeded recommended specs. Big difference with the RON release was that the Big Huge Games programmers were up on the boards talking to people about their problems.

Maybe things have changed. Fact is, though, Firaxis and Take Two should have been and should be more communicative. Keep your players in the loop is the golden rule for all game developers.