PD of PDMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am massively enamoured by the idea of a bot that records all moderator actions in the Tavern in a locked thread. I think that would go a long way towards getting users to appreciate the work moderators do.

This:

I think it would be very helpful to have a single post when threads were deleted in whole simply notifying the community of what happened. If the enforcement is invisible, there is a stronger likelihood of repeat offenses.

I like the idea of a thread tracking thread closures and reasons along with a list of bannings with reasons. One of the biggest criticisms I've noticed of the mods is that they don't do enough, so perhaps with a public tracking thread we can better see how much they do actually do.

I am massively enamoured by the idea of a bot that records all moderator actions in the Tavern in a locked thread. I think that would go a long way towards getting users to appreciate the work moderators do.
This is pretty great idea. I'd love to see a log of who did what when in OT:

Birdjaguar posted/took Moderator Action [move thread] in PD of PDMA at 11:15 Aug 10 here.

It would require some sort of moderator action button to differentiate mod activity from regular posting. If a thread was deleted or made invisible, it would not include the link.

I think that the main time when a log needs to be made is when something (non-spambot to be more specific) gets removed/deleted. Otherwise a log is kind of pointless as you can see the red, green, or blue moderator text plastered all over whatever got changed.

Ok, so The Good: I didn't get banned for PD of PDMA, so I've got that going for me. EDIT: :) I've been told I should :) more often when I'm not being serious

The Neutral: A lot of people who have no influence on the actual decision seem to like this idea.

The Bad: It's... it's... never gonna happen, is it? I can see how the wind is blowing & it's all "we've talked about this, and..." or "this idea has been raised before, and..." or "with some tweaks it'd be possibly plausible, and..." and then it.... never happens.

I think that's the vibe I'm getting. Oh well. It was just an idea... unless BirdJaguar takes it up, I suppose. EDIT: :)

Also...
I'm willing to donate a past infraction per day for discussion to give us several months worth to work with.
I'm up for this. We could erase JR's infractions in exchange for a few months of trying it. Seems fair. I enjoy CivOffTopic more when JR doesn't fear for his BoardLife, FWIW. EDIT: :SeriousFace:

This thread doesn't seem to be much about PDMA, but rather about the visibility of actions. Making actions visible is completely different to allowing people to comment on them.
I think some people are trying to point out that the greater the visibility of moderator actions, the less will be the need (or the perceived need) to comment on them.

The problem is that since we can't talk about it, we often don't know what the mods are doing.

And PMing the mod in question usually ends up being a dead end where they just regurgitate the rule they listed in the mod comment and don't respond afterwards.

This is pretty great idea. I'd love to see a log of who did what when in OT:

Birdjaguar posted/took Moderator Action [move thread] in PD of PDMA at 11:15 Aug 10 here.

It would require some sort of moderator action button to differentiate mod activity from regular posting. If a thread was deleted or made invisible, it would not include the link.
I know that the forum software is different, but the forum I moderate has moderator logs, which include all actions of moving threads, editing posts, etc., and also includes user actions of deleting threads.

At the very least, you could set up a simple moderating spreadsheet that records basic info like the thread name, date of action, explanation for the action, etc.

I think that the main time when a log needs to be made is when something (non-spambot to be more specific) gets removed/deleted. Otherwise a log is kind of pointless as you can see the red, green, or blue moderator text plastered all over whatever got changed.

The problem is that the moderator text isn't always used. Sometimes mods outright delete posts or entire threads without telling anybody. You go back to quote a post, fail to find it, and wonder if you had dreamt the whole post up.

The problem is that the moderator text isn't always used. Sometimes mods outright delete posts or entire threads without telling anybody. You go back to quote a post, fail to find it, and wonder if you had dreamt the whole post up.

Which is why I said that this would only be useful when something gets removed/deleted.

The Bad: It's... it's... never gonna happen, is it? I can see how the wind is blowing & it's all "we've talked about this, and..." or "this idea has been raised before, and..." or "with some tweaks it'd be possibly plausible, and..." and then it.... never happens.

This is what I fear will end up happening to this idea. The mods are very busy, so I don't blame them for not having the time to devote to a new project that may or may not involve a lot of work.
Edit: Thanks for clarifying Mise. For some reason I took from your post that you were advocating a bot that would hang out in locked threads and keep tallies on what happened in those threads but we'd never see it because it was locked or deleted. Now I feel derpy. :lol:

Keep in mind that this seems to be an idea directed at the Tavern exclusively. I don't think those posting in this thread are particularly interested about when we sticky a Civ5 C&C thread, or when a Civ2 gets locked. If it's a forum wide initiative, that's an awful lot more work.

Exactly, I'd rather they, instead of deleting a whole thread, delete all subsequent posts except for the edited OP with the mod text explaining why the thread was deleted, or log it in a different thread, or something like that. The explanation would save us the headaches of searching for ghost posts.

Keep in mind that this seems to be an idea directed at the Tavern exclusively. I don't think those posting in this thread are particularly interested about when we sticky a Civ5 C&C thread, or when a Civ2 gets locked. If it's a forum wide initiative, that's an awful lot more work.
I for one don't want to cause any work for moderators who are not listed on the Tavern moderator list.

That's very thoughtful of you, but what is it about the Tavern that means that it should have a log of moderator actions, particularly when the Tavern is meant to involve less moderator work?

That's very thoughtful of you, but what is it about the Tavern that means that it should have a log of moderator actions, particularly when the Tavern is meant to involve less moderator work?

Moderator actions in the Tavern are much more contextual.

I do not think that this happens very often though. Locking is the normal action taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom