1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PerfNES I: Ultima Ratio Regum

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Perfectionist, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Insane_Panda

Insane_Panda Deity

Had I left or was I still in by the time this paused? If I was still in, I'd continue.

2. spryllino

spryllino Deity

You missed one update, but Immaculate, who took your nation, has just said he doesn't want to continue, so Liyun is free.

3. Perfectionist

Perfectionist Angel of Verdun

Sorry about that; they changed my medication, and I've been a bit of a wreck for the last week. Got it cleared up now, and hopefully it won't happen again. So, casualties are up; stats should follow later tonight. Let me know if anything looks strange.

You'd left, but I'd love it if you rejoined.

I'd like to hold off on NPC diplo for Italy, Lotharingia and a couple of others for a bit, until I see if I can get someone to take them.

4. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

Looking at the nations not taken so far, I can take Italy.

5. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

Putting in a claim for Basileia Rhōmaiōn per previous #nes discussion

6. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

i'm still in

7. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

I'm still in for Sweden......

8. spryllino

spryllino Deity

Here is a list of nations whose players have not said on the thread that they will continue:

Longphort League: qoou
    Denmark: Owen Glyndwr
    Lotharingia: Bill3000
    Liyun: Insane Panda
    al-Isbunah: Kentharu
    Saraqusta: Kraznaya (moved to Roman Empire)
    Bohemia: Communisto
    Ardabilids: Lord of Elves
    Georgia: The Farow
    Friland: Omega124
    Lithuania: flyingchicken
    Tver: Starlife
    Nizhny Novgorod: madviking
    Ethiopia: The Strategos
    Zabid: Theige
    Haishu Empire: Espoir
    Guangzhou: Birdjaguar
    Yamato Empire: Adrogans

9. LittleBoots

LittleBoots The Bloody Banner

As per our conversation, Perf, I am reclaiming Italy. Let me look through some thingsI've caught up and I'll have diplo responses by the end of the day eventually.

EDIT: Good Lord I should've (A) read the damn update before agreeing to this :p and (B) sent orders last turn >.<

10. Perfectionist

Perfectionist Angel of Verdun

Right, front page is updated. Please let me know when you find mistakes; family's been distracting last couple of days, so I'm sure there are some. I'd like to tentatively set the deadline for next turn's orders to be a week from Friday; if there are any objections, I can change it.

Great to have you back, LittleBoots. I hope you don't get discouraged; I really don't think Italy's position is all that bad.

SouthernKing, since LB was playing Italy before I'm going to let him retake them, but I'd love to have you join somewhere else. There are a few good open countries: Lotharingia, Nizhny Novgorod and the Tokhta Horde are all open and in fairly decent situations.

Thanks for the list, spry. I think espoir and flyingchicken have said they're continuing elsewhere.

11. SouthernKing

Alright, that is fine by me, by tomorrow i will give my final choice.

12. The Strategos

The Strategos Thanatos

Our beloved son David,

We write to you borne from the love in our hearts we have towards you, not commanding, for we are neither an apostle nor a king over you, but rather as the Holy Writ commands, speaking to you as a brother. For truly, in our abundant love towards you, and towards our daughter, your wife, we seek your welfare above all else, so that we would rather lose half our kingdom then see the hair on your head harmed.

Now all men can see that God has been with you, and continues to be with you, for just as Gideon facing the might of Midian with three hundred men, overcame them because God fought on his side so too he fought beside you, making the strength of the nations nothing. But God only stays with the one who is faithful to serve him just as he abandoned the Israelites before Ai because of sin in the camp. So too did he take away his blessings from his anointed Saul, and gave them to David, because Saul scorned His commands.

But the Lord says, By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. But where is the love shown between you and the Normans? What love is there in murder and pillage, not as justice demands against traitors, but taken up by the meanest of your subjects. And again we are instructed by the words of our master, Blessed are the peacemakers, so why do we delight in war?

Therefore we most strongly urge you, brother, to put aside all foolish quarrels, embracing those who were once enemies, but need be enemies no longer. And if you desire anything from us, speak to us and it is yours. For we are not so poor that we need to refuse a request from you, who we love more than our own life. We pray always for you, that you might be guided by the Prince of Peace, serving him in purity and in truth. Pray for us also, for we covet them more than gold. Our wife sends her greetings, as does our whole court, to which we add our own greetings in our own hand.

-Negusa Nagast Asnaf Sagad

13. SouthernKing

Alright, I am confirming that I will be playing as the Second Pandyan Empire.

14. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Good grief.

15. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

We're open to offers, by the way.

16. spryllino

spryllino Deity

I'm leaving on holiday on Thursday, so if anyone has any diplo for me I need it by Tuesday or so.

17. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Has the game officially restarted yet?

Oh crap, it has.

18. alex994

alex994 Hail Divine Emperor!

The Call of the Night

“In comparison with the NKVD, the Gestapo’s methods are child’s play.” – Leopold Okulicki, Last Commander of the Polish Home Army

-------------

“I hear you’re going to come into a great fortune.”

Great fortune? What great fortune could the new Crown Prince of Poland come into? He looked askance at his childhood friend who looked quite quizzical. The new arrival could not simply stop grinning, with a wide grin and an exaggerated flourish, he bowed and foppishly pranced.

“My Great Lord Duke, Crown Prince of Poland and Master of the Hunts, I come to most graciously inform you that your Father, His Royal Majesty, King of Poland and the Assistant Lord of the Universe is going to find you a wife.”

He laughed, along with everyone else before slapping Cas on the back. A wife! It was quite obvious that nobody present assumed that married life was suitable for their dear friend. From the corner of his eye, he saw Anastazy stand up with a glint in his eye and a glass in hand. “Let us all hope that the King finds a Russian beauty for you Cas, may God protect you from a German wife.” Cas joined the laughter and the general feeling of goodwill before himself rising to the occasion for a toast.

“Well my dear Anastazy, I am simply a humble servant of Poland. Where she commands, I will go. And look, the Lord Chamberlain is coming; a toast for the Chamberlain!”

The Chamberlain was quite surprised by the sudden onslaught of good-will and had an expression filled with confusion. Approaching the oak table, the Chamberlain nodded politely at the five of them. It was quite surprising for the Chamberlain to come himself. Unless it was important. He would probably be writing something to send his father.

“My Prince, the King requests your presence at Court. I have brought the summons for you here. Your Father looks forward to seeing his beloved son once more.” With a final bow, the Chamberlain smiled and turned back. It had been a whirlwind the last few months with the passing of the late King; the dust hadn’t completely settled. It would be a long night….

-------------------

“Father,

What we expected has come to pass. I expect to write to you again soon.

Albert.”

He crumpled the letter and threw it into the fireplace. Politics and intrigue was a natural phenomenon of being a member of Poland’s mozny class. He had been appointed Poland’s envoy to Algirdas to be protected from the political maneuvering in Poznan as a result of a suspicious death of a prostitute in his castle; his disputed inheritance had made him a number of enemies and they accordingly pounced on the opportunity to discredit him.

The historical Firlej estates near Lublin were of course being fought over in the courts of law; with the support of the new King, the lawsuits against him would go no-where. Of course, the price for royal intervention and protection was not cheap. His family’s support for Royal initiatives, the deployment of military retainers, and sons in the army were all a part of the deal. And was why he resisted shouting obscenities every time he met with the Polish clergymen responsible for spearheading the religious conversion of Lithuania.

As he had privately expected, the effort to convert Lithuania to the Roman Catholic faith had essentially failed. The Lithuanians were quite content to remain as the last bastion of the Pagan faith in Europe and to assume otherwise was quite foolish. Listening to the incessant complaints from the Catholic priests, it seemed like they were of the opinion that the Lithuanians would be receptive to the Catholic faith.

Snickering, he began drafting a letter to one of the priests working in Southern Lithuania. The only way to truly convert the country was if Zygimantas had crushed Algirdas and had been backed by the Monastic Danish to the hilt as pagan priests were put to the sword. Of course, one could not force true belief down unwilling throats. He was quite thankful that those clergymen weren’t given a free reign; the idea of them launching witch-hunts and burning pagans in the middle of a civil war would not be the best proposition.

He would have to have another meeting with one of Algirdas’ nobles and dance the elaborate façade that the Lithuanians were earnestly agreeing to the conditions of the Polish military intervention.

C’est la vie.

19. Tyo

Tyo HANDS HIGH TO THE SOUND Retired Moderator

Confirming Moscow.

Ruler: Prince Peter (34, married)
    Heirs: Ivan (12, unmarried), Visili (9, unmarried), Sophia (7, unmarried), Yaroslav (5, unmarried)

20. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

Hey Perf, just for clarification: did anything happen in the Volga war last turn?