PerfNES I: Ultima Ratio Regum

TO: Petty Tyrants, Heresiarchs, and Pretenders of Various Enemies of Italy

You may present your desired terms if you wish, but peace has already been concluded with our brothers in the East. You have the attention of all our energy and our ship of state, and no peace which sees Italian lands ruled by foreign chiefs will be acceptable.

Confirming Moscow.
Glad to have you, welcome aboard.

Hey Perf, just for clarification: did anything happen in the Volga war last turn?
Not a lot. Novgorod couldn't get the funds to reinforce, and Tver was distracted by events in the east, so they mostly just skirmished around the present lines, though even that petered out by the end.

From: Taqi al-Din Huseyn, the Righteous and Sublime Sultan and Sovereign of the Chobanids, Emperor of Antakya and of Jerusalem
To: That senile old fool who calls himself the Emperor of the Romans

You have seen how your armies have disintegrated in the face of my brave ghazis. But let it be know that we are a merciful people. We will allow you to make peace with whatever honour you may have left.

Our terms are simple. We expect a gift of 2,000,000 gold pieces, and for all Roman forces to withdraw west of this line, which will become part of our state.

From: Prince Aimeric II, Prince of Sicily, Count of Tunis, Most Serene Protector of the Catholic Faith
To: Carolus VI of Italy

The proposal we will offer you on behalf of our allies is this. Cede the province of Carinthia in its entirety to the Kingdom of Hungary, and pay an indemnity to be negotiated later to our Principate and to that of the Swabians, and you will have your peace.

Refuse, and both Naples and Milan will be in ruins by spring.

Um, so you ninja'd out the original amount or what? Because I thought I remembered there being a number there when I first saw this :p

From: Taqi al-Din Huseyn, the Righteous and Sublime Sultan and Sovereign of the Chobanids, Emperor of Antakya and of Jerusalem
To: That senile old fool who calls himself the Emperor of the Romans

You have seen how your armies have disintegrated in the face of my brave ghazis. But let it be know that we are a merciful people. We will allow you to make peace with whatever honour you may have left.

Our terms are simple. We expect a gift of 2,000,000 gold pieces, and for all Roman forces to withdraw west of this line, which will become part of our state.

We reluctantly accept your harsh but reasonable terms.

I could conceivably stay on as Zabid.

Not completely opposed to taking a nation of higher importance at mod's request

I'll take Tver

The Crown Prince

High summer had come to Lin’an. The air was moist, and the sun shone with just enough intensity to make the day warm, but not uncomfortably hot. The birds flocked together over the West Lake, and courtesans sipped tea in stately gazebos along its shores. It was a perfect day for a summer ride.

He brought his horse to a slow trot as he approached the manor. It was an impressive walled three story building with verandahs overlooking the lake, but it was tucked away from the usual traffic, far across the lake from the Imperial Palace and the ever noisy court. The White Crane House had been officially deserted when it had been seized from Wu Sangui a decade ago, but he knew that that was not actually true. His sister would be here. She always hid here when she didn’t want to deal with the court.

The front gate was barred. It looked like it had been untouched for years, save for the massive characters scrawled in red ink announcing “PROPERTY OF THE EMPEROR. DOWN WITH WU SANGUI AND ALL WHO WOULD BETRAY THE SON OF HEAVEN.” He smiled at the graffiti, stabled his horse at the gate, and walked toward the rear, where he climbed a low hanging willow tree and swung over the wall.

“Who’s there?” He heard her shout from the interior of the palace.

“I am Li Qizhen, Crown Prince of the Haishu Dynasty, Son of the Son of Heaven, Heir to the Dragon Throne!” He shouted in a sing song voice, imitating the formal court ceremonial of the eunuchs.

“Oh. And what would the high and mighty crown prince want with an idle servant in an empty house?” She emerged from the screen door, wearing, true to form, nothing but servant clothes. Still, there was a regal air about her. Her skin was pale and smooth, and her dark eyes sparkled with a rebellious fire.

He laughed, and embraced her while mercilessly tickling her sides. “Oh, I don’t know, dear sister. The court is all worried how you weren’t present when we moved to the summer palace. I told them I would investigate.”

She pursed her lips, irritated, and shoved him away. “I told Father to tell them that I was visiting the newly liberated cities. Wuhan, perhaps. Don’t you have better things to do? With your blushing Jurchen bride, maybe.”

He laughed. “Oh, you know I can’t get enough of her. So wild and innocent like the great northern forests.” She shot him a look of incredulity. “Alright, alright. So she may be a little dull sometimes.”

“You know, I was against the arrangement. I told Father that there were other ways what he wanted.”

“You know me. Always the dutiful son. Besides, I can always- “

“-Get venereal diseases.”

“Ha ha ha. You are always so very funny, Qingqing. But you know, the powers that be do want to have you get married sometime. We can’t have the Emperor’s daughter resign herself to a life of spinster-hood.”

The Princess Li Qing went back inside and slammed the screen door behind her. Li Qizhen smiled at his own audacity and followed in.

“Okay, okay. I’m sorry. You know that I’d sooner you be born with a cock and be Crown Prince. Father would too, I reckon.”

She ignored him and retreated into one of the interior rooms.

“Honest. I might be competent at fulfilling my duties, but the responsibility of being Crown Prince! People expect things of me when they should really expect them of you.”

He stopped. Far from an empty room, the study was incredibly cluttered. There were letters and notes scattered everywhere. Empty ink founts and quills haphazardly covered the floor. In the middle of a room on an enormous table sat a map of the domains of the Son of Heaven, stretching out from Lin’an in the four cardinal directions under heaven. It was peppered with pins and marks, displaying the location of armies and supply lines throughout the domain. In the corner of the room there was a hastily made set of sheets which had clearly been regularly slept in.

“Wow. Qingqing, you haven’t just been hiding here to get away from court ceremonies, have you? How long have you been living here?”

She was immersed in a set of notes on the desk. “Six, seven months, maybe. Why?”

“This pin is wrong. The courier arrived this morning. We took Fuzhou; the whole court was celebrating.”

“Oh. I might have forgot to update that in my rearrangement.” She pulled out a black Nanhai pin and replaced it with a golden Haishu one. “My sources actually told me that last night, but I was busy drafting further instructions for the commanders to proceed.”

“Your sources? Instructions?” He raised his brow incredulously.

“You are in the war room of the Son of Heaven. Show some respect.” She smiled devilishly.

He gaped at her. Finally he recovered enough to crack, “You are truly your Father’s son.”

“The bureaucrats and the chancellor have their uses, but Father prefers someone he can trust to handle all the imperial micromanagement work that he is too busy for. He chose me.” She was positively glowing with pride.

“So is this where my dear sister has gone? Gone to be the Emperor’s secret general? Pray tell, when Father passes, will you mantle Wu Zetain and assume his throne?” He pinched her teasingly.

“Hush, little brother. You know that I don’t covet your throne. I’ll admit – I feel more alive here than I have in years. But this isn’t about me. This is about Father and the domain.”

She looked at him, suddenly serious. “We throw our armies against the Nanhai snakes. They are treacherous and false as they have always been. And that we have always known. But they are not the only snakes in this room, Brother. The Guangzhou Society is our friend until they are no longer dependant on us for survival, and then what? They see Father as only an ally to be used against the Nanhai, not their lawful sovereign and Emperor. And the Jurchens? You have the most expensive whore in history, Brother, for what we paid them to find alliance with us. They will acknowledge Father’s claim up to the point that it is no longer convenient to do so and no further.

“The Mongols lie in wait to the North. Let the sons of the Yellow Emperor kill each other, they say, until we can bleed no more and we have no silver in our coffers. Then they will sweep down and seek to enslave us once more like they did generations ago.

“So I sit here, and I read, and I write, and I listen to the whispers of our spies. In the name of our Father I order the advance of our armies and the death of our enemies. Every day I do this, and yes – I love it. But that is not the only reason I do it. I love Father, and I will see him victorious over all of them. This I promise you.

“And promise me – Brother. Promise me that you will stand for the Dragon Throne, that you will be a great Crown Prince and someday Emperor. That you will do your duty.” She clasped his hands tightly.

He embraced her. “I will, Big Sister. I will destroy our enemies. Just-,” He paused. “Promise me that you’ll stay sane, okay? Don’t lose sight of everything and everyone you’re fighting for. I need to get back to preside over dinner. Come down to the palace to see me sometime.”

“Okay.” She smiled. “I promise.”

I could conceivably stay on as Zabid.

Not completely opposed to taking a nation of higher importance at mod's request
Given likely developments in the Red Sea, I think Zabid's actually one of the more important nations in the NES at the moment. I'd really like someone to play them, anyway.

I'll take Tver
Great, glad to have you. NPC Tver and Veliky Novgorod had worked out a status quo ante peace, which you can either go with or not.

It is my pleasure to announce that the Duke of Swabia and Emperor of Italy, in their infinite wisdom, have concluded a peace between their two states.

Well, the deadline has passed and I'm missing quite a few order sets, including some really quite important ones. Fortunately for you slackers, it now appears that I won't be able to really get stuck in on the update tomorrow anyway, so I'm issuing a 48 hour extension. Anyone who hasn't already, get your orders in by 2000 GMT Sunday

You know, it's really obnoxious of the several people who aren't answering their diplo. You could at least politely inform me that you're not going to reply.

Orders coming soon.

No excuse...so they'll be in tomorrow probably toddler watching duty tonight.

Hot Damn!! It's alive!

I missed the restart, but am in. I'll try to catch up today and get orders in tomorrow.

I've been out of town since Weds.

Top Bottom