Petroleum

Thx. the explanation. Now I mostly understand the concept. Yes, it is quite well simulates the "oil boom" in mankind history.

More questions.

Coail liquifer produce the same oil spill resource that is extracted from wellls? If I have 3 in different cities how it is distributed among different cities?

All oil dependen special building in a city requires the spill resorce within the citiy borders?l

What about resoruces that an ally or city state has? If he trade or share the oil does it functional as a spill resource?

Even the spill has runned out the oil rigs still give you resorce for unitsd and buildings? They are not disappear from map, aren't they?

One more thing. I played with Arab nation. This made extremly unbalanced (?) the game. One of my cities had 2 or 3 oil resources. It could have 650 industry in golden age. I tested the mod in the smallest map, literrally all oil resources were contorolled by me.

I know on tiny map cannot be made a balanced game.

Does you mode lowering the effect of gifts to city states?

Sup man i'm absolutely loving this mod. But i'm seeing an annoying issue with fallout. It spreads to the water and i cant clean it up. it also spreads from the water back to land no matter how much i scrub it. Unless i'm missing how to scrub water fallout please let me know how to fix this.

Sorry, I have been away from Civ V after finishing Version 3 for almost a year now. I am back cause I've made and uploaded Version 4 today.

Coail liquifer produce the same oil spill resource that is extracted from wellls? If I have 3 in different cities how it is distributed among different cities?

Yes. The Coal-to-Liquid buildings are like an additional oil well, which can hold a certain amount of oil and be used by every city.

All oil dependen special building in a city requires the spill resorce within the citiy borders?

No.

What about resoruces that an ally or city state has? If he trade or share the oil does it functional as a spill resource?

You can use the oil reserves even if he is trading it.

Even the spill has runned out the oil rigs still give you resorce for unitsd and buildings? They are not disappear from map, aren't they?

They will drop to 1 resource of oil.

One more thing. I played with Arab nation. This made extremly unbalanced (?) the game. One of my cities had 2 or 3 oil resources. It could have 650 industry in golden age. I tested the mod in the smallest map, literrally all oil resources were contorolled by me.

I know on tiny map cannot be made a balanced game.

Does you mode lowering the effect of gifts to city states?

The Arab Nations don't get their oil reserves doubled, they only get the standard oil resources doubled. Which means you should prevent them to get too many sources. It can be unbalanced in certain situations, yes. As I wrote before, I've crushed them on King, because they were unlucky with oil distribution.

For a balanced game choose strategic balance options.

My mod makes the gold gifts more expensive.

Sup man i'm absolutely loving this mod. But i'm seeing an annoying issue with fallout. It spreads to the water and i cant clean it up. it also spreads from the water back to land no matter how much i scrub it. Unless i'm missing how to scrub water fallout please let me know how to fix this.

Ok, I see. The fall out doesn't spread, it just comes out of the mine.
The sea tile is lost forever. This mod was made for educational purposes. ;)

Beyond the Petroleum Era

(Petroleum V4)

I had to rename the mod because of a new 10-letter-limit of the title.

What is new?

• Cold Fusion: After Globalization there is a new technology Cold Fusion which grants cheap Nuclear Fusion devices for everyone. Capitalist corporations (oil-industry, nuclear industry) will sabotage this development. The Cold Fusion devices boost gold by +70%, food by +20% and production by +10%.
  • Random generator: The random generators on nuclear fission meltdown and uranium mines contamination will not reset after reloading the game.
  • No more obsolete units after Industrial era: You can still build units like Cannons later in the game.
  • Nuclear (Hot) Fusion Reactor: 12 gold maintenance, only +10% gold boost (+40% production, +20% food).

Version 5:

• Improved AI dealing better with corporations issues.
  • With modern era and beyond, only units using a resource are available.

This is a great idea :goodjob: It really seems like it would bring in a concept of greed to the later eras, where a civ might use up their oil quickly and use their gains to invade other civs for their oil. But if they can't invade quickly enough, the tap runs dry and they're in trouble. Definitely going to try it out after my current game.

Version 6:

• AI knows better about the value of Coal.
  • The bonus oil field is nearer to starting point (within 3 tiles).

I like the idea of petroleum as a depletable resource that has a more direct impact on the economy, but I think you should take it a step further and treat coal and uranium this way. If uranium was depletable then you could have meaningful breeder reactors. I think it would also be interesting to allow coal and oil power plants as well; make power plants effectively necessary for a modern economy and then allow the player to decide which technologies to use. That makes for an interesting modern age.

- Nuclear plants have a risk of an incident / accident of some percents per round depending on game speed. In such a case, there is a 10% chance of a total nuclear meltdown with massive fall out around the city. Otherwise 1 - 3 tiles will be contaminated.
- Uranium mines will pollute their environment occasionally. Pillaging mines will triple chances.

What is the probability of a nuclear accident? Your statement is unclear, but it sounds like there is some risk per turn of a minor accident with a 10% chance that the minor accident becomes a major accident. That would make sense if the minor accident destroyed the plant but had no real environmental impact (e.g. Three Mile Island) while a major accident has significant environmental impact expressed as fallout (e.g. Chernobyl). Of course if you went that route, there really ought to be other facilities that can have accidents that destroy the building: hydro plants, factories, research labs, coal-to-liquids, oil refinery, and basically anything industrial. CivIV did this (and meltdowns) via generalized random events, and they seemed to get the about probabilities right.

Also, uranium mines are not uniquely polluting. Speaking from experience, the environmental community is (justifiably) more concerned with coal mining, hydro fracking, and oil pipelines. I'm not sure that pillaging mines should increase the likelihood of pollution, but pillaging oil wells definitely should have some pollution. Maybe you could add something similar to "fallout" that represents general pollution? This pollution could be generated randomly by various buildings and some mines.

As it is now, it looks like you're singling out nuclear.

Amylion said:
There are some suspicious facts, some previous frauds Sig. Rossi was involved in, he admits to not knowing the exact theory of its own device, and he showed some lack of knowledge when demonstrating his work to scientists of the university of Bologna. Nonetheless from my understanding of nuclear physics this device could work (that's the reason I put this technology in my mod after all).

Rossi is either a fraud or deluded. People have been making similar claims for over a hundred years (i.e. devices that produce free energy or otherwise defy known physics), and Rossi's project has all the hallmarks of a scam. The US Patent Office gets hundreds of patent applications for perpetual motion, free energy, and cold fusion devices every year, and it automatically denies anything that is inconsistent with known physics. The reactions that Rossi claims have occurred are energetically impossible, and there are many ways that Rossi could demonstrate that they were occurring, the most straightforward of which is directly measuring the reaction products. This would be Nobel Prize material, but somehow Rossi can't get any peer-reviewed scientific journal to publish the research.

I don't want to derail your thread, but I think that you shouldn't even entertain this idea until it shows that it can stand up to scientific scrutiny. That said, it's probably not much worse than the Giant Death Robot.

The reactions that Rossi claims have occurred are energetically impossible, and there are many ways that Rossi could demonstrate that they were occurring, the most straightforward of which is directly measuring the reaction products. This would be Nobel Prize material, but somehow Rossi can't get any peer-reviewed scientific journal to publish the research.

No derailing of the thread, just telling you that you are not up to date. This concept of cold fusion has been scientifically proven, there are many theories explaining this effect.

My mod was just made for guys like you, who don't really know how the political and pseudo-scientific world works, who are victims to propaganda. That's why I singled out nuclear fission, to clearly show that this technology can't be supported by real scientists, like for example Arnie Gundersen, who was hunted down by the nuclear industry mafia for making concerns public about the safety of the plant he was working at.

There would be a million more stories of course, everyone can find them by now, so no need to mention them here.

Just please don't taint my thread with gross "misinformation", "thanks".

:hammer2:

Just please don't taint my thread with gross "misinformation", "thanks".

That choice of phrasing won't help to keep your thread "clean".

No derailing of the thread, just telling you that you are not up to date. This concept of cold fusion has been scientifically proven, there are many theories explaining this effect.

My mod was just made for guys like you, who don't really know how the political and pseudo-scientific world works, who are victims to propaganda. That's why I singled out nuclear fission, to clearly show that this technology can't be supported by real scientists, like for example Arnie Gundersen, who was hunted down by the nuclear industry mafia for making concerns public about the safety of the plant he was working at.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I am obligated to respond. My intent was to provide suggestions that I thought would improve your mod and advise you against promoting a scam. I am not sure what makes you think that I'm an ignorant victim of propaganda other than the fact that we apparently disagree.

First of all, I am *actually* a real scientist. I will complete a PhD in nuclear physics in a little less than a year. I don't work in fusion, but quite a few of my colleagues do, and I regularly attend conferences in nuclear science. I have enough of a sense of the state of fusion research to assure you that cold fusion is *definitively* not proven. This fact is reflected by the peer reviewed scientific literature. Seriously, check some research journals in nuclear physics or fusion and look for articles on "cold fusion". You won't find many papers on the topic, and they're decidedly not conclusive.

Second, it is also not true that "real scientists" cannot support nuclear energy. The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) regularly performs surveys of scientists and members of the public to compare the differences in attitudes and beliefs between the two groups. All of the results are interesting, but of note to this topic is the fact that 70% of scientists supported building *more* nuclear power plants in the latest survey. You assertion is not supported by the facts.

I will not further derail this thread, so if you would like to continue this conversation, send a PM. If you wish to continue posting in this thread, that's your call.

Similarly, if any other readers have questions about nuclear science or cold fusion, I would be happy to field those as PMs as well.

Is there any true starting points. Like if I wanted to play as the U.S would I spawn in the U.S or is it random?

Hey Amylion, Hope you log on soon i have an older version of your Petroleum mod and it doesn't work perfectly with the xpac and all mods are now on workshop. Hope you can give us all an update soon and if you can i would love to know how to build a mod like this. Thanks hit me up soon!

Top Bottom