1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PH14: The Return of the King

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, Oct 4, 2008.

1. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

At last I've GOT IT.

Culture bomb Memphis, keep Thebes, raze last two Egyptian cities then try to rescue the economy.

2. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

3. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Played seven turns so far. Too tired and lazy to write a proper report. The synopsis: we've captured Thebes. Qin has declared on us and has a stack of ckns and pikes heading in our direction. Hats has picked up feudalism so is willing to capitulate. I'm not sure what to do at this point. My initial thought is to let Qin capture Memphis and then attack his stack inside Memphis with our CR2/3 trebs.

4. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

I still think rather destroy Hatty than vassalize!

As I don't have any better idea this seems to be the best! I'm not sure whether changing civs to slavery and whiping one or two Longbows would be a better solution..

5. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Are you sure that Hatshepshut has not capitulated to QSH?

6. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Played four more turns, at peace with Hatty, destroyed Qin's invasion. Hats had not vassalised to Qin or I wouldn't have been able to negotiate directly with her (they still have closed borders from their last war).

7. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

1255. Settle GG as MI in Washington. Kublai the Khan offers open borders, I accept. A mace kills the sword-in-the mist. Philadelphia starts producing christian missionaries. Los Angeles starts to build Notre Dame: happiness is nice, double cash refund is nice too.
    Memphis is lacking in culture:

Maybe a Great Work will posh it up a bit.

1260. Sally builds Chichen Izza.
    Make a deal with Qin; our sheep for his sugar.

1265 zzz

1270 New York starts Heroic Epic (aka NY>HE).

1275. Hats reaches feudalism. Not only can she upgrade archers to longbows she can also vassalise!

1280. The mutton was obviously tough. Qin is not happy:

1285. A Great Scientist appears in Boston and learns Education all by himself. Start on liberalism. After a bit of bombardment Thebes opens its first MacDonalds:

1290. Hatty is willing to capitulate. But we're freedom-loving Americans! No vassalisation we say. (Total annihilation is however ok :lol:). We're also peace-loving Americans (in exchange for 120 gold, drama and theology).

1295. The Red Army (ok Maroon/Puce) invades!

1300. Extended manouvres follow. Memphis whips a longbow! Washington starts the National Epic!

1305. To no avail. Memphis falls! Defended by 4ckns,a pike, a cat and 2 axes its surely destined to remain part of the Greater East Asian Co-prosperity Sphere. 3 trebs sacrifice themselves in the cause of Freedom!

Truth, Justice and Capitalism are their own reward:

GG has arrived (or is about to arrive) in NY to become MI(?).

GM is still lazing around Washington.

8. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Think I'm going to withdraw from this game:
    i) Pholkhero has disappeared.
    ii) Standard Monarch doesn't seem to challenge me as much as it used to.
    iii) Feels like we're going to win from this point.

If any prince-monarch player is lurking and fancies taking my place that would be fine by me though I gues it's up to the rest of the team (though I'm not sure how many are actually still active in this game).

9. Diamondeye

Arh Pigswill, stay till the end? If the game is too easy it won't be long :lol:

Who's up?

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

It is so like pholky to start a game and then vanish into thin air. :rolleyes:

I could help with bringing this game to a quicker end ... so long at least one of you remains interested ...

11. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

I will remain until the end!!!!

Death or glory, pride or pain!!!! :lol:

12. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Great! I Got it then.

13. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

14. Diamondeye

Aboard, yes, but I am severely stressed from this christmas-thing, so I won't be very much available, especially not between not and the 25th.

15. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Take a good look at the save, spend some time looking through each city, and made quite a few mircomanagement changes. Then decided to look at the log ... and WHAM!

Crash to Desktop.

:gripe:

Damn, stupid BUG bug that never dies!!!

Load up Dresden's excellent utility to fix the log, and reload. Now I have to re-do all those micromanagement again :aargh:. But good thing is that the log now works :thumbsup:

So, whoever that is using BUG mod, please check that you have eradicated the SimCutie file. It doesn't matter which version of BUG you are using, as long as the SimCutie file is there, you will contaminate the save.

Anyway, made all those mircomanagement changes again. Which allows us to slide the science back up by 10% while still having positive cashflow. For instance, I designated the Christian Holy City as such, and replaced the building of a courthouse with a market. A market there would help us much much more. One other change is to start a caravel due to this:

Which promptly unloads a couple of troop to our lightly defended city. Fortunately, they are only trebs, which can't capture city ... hell, they can't even kill a unit. Stupid AI.

The last player mentioned a GG and a GM. But I see no GG??? As to the GM, I did what I normally do: search for the ToA:

:dance: Athens is sufficiently far away, so that's where the GM will go. But our lone caravel is currently in Greece, so being impatient, I started another caravel.

Press enter and then Ragnar builds the Notre Dame. Damned.

Well, on the bright side, that does double our gold.

Hatty tries the Apo trick to gain back her city. I took a risk and decided to click "No" instead of "Defy" -- anyway, we would take it back later if the resolution passes.

Fortunately, we acquire just enough christian population to upset the Hatty-Qin majority by a whopping 1 vote :lol:

:dance: Nay-nay-nay-nay-nay-nay! :dance:

Time to teach Qin who the daddy is.

As usual, I split our upgraded troops into two stack, and head towards different cities.

This will cause some confusion to the AI as to which is our actual target.

His guessed wrongly :lol:

Also note the other continent, not to be left alone, plunges into war as well.

BUG Mod Interlude

Well, the new BUG Mod 3.5.1 has various excellent enhancements, such as this:

Very very useful! I used to stitch these graphs into one image myself using GIMP. Now, this is done automatically. If the BUG developers can add the feature of selecting which graphs to display (eg. displays only the GNP, Score and Prod), it will be perfect!

But not all is rosy. Somehow, the diplo dialog got screwed. For instance:

So are we communicating telepathetically or are am I suppose to go learn lip-reading?

I dismissed this as minor hiccup since I was able to close the dialog with "ESC" key. However, then this pops up at 1345AD.

Lip-reading is not necessary, but no matter how many times I click on any option, the dialog won't go away. I pressed all sort of keys, ESC, Enter, Space bar, etc ... nope. Ragnar the Stubborn remains ostensibly staring into my face, demanding we switch civics.

Look buddy, I will even agree if you would just go away!!!

No choice, I gave him the three finger salute, and promptly uninstalls BUG Mod 3.5.1 when I was returned to the Desktop. Back to BUG 3.0 for the time being. I am surprised nobody had this problem yet, so probably it is just my problem. But if the BUG Mod Devs are interested, I have the autosave on 1345AD stored away somewhere for you guys to chew on.

End of Interlude

Back to the game. After reloading 1345 autosave, I declared peace.

Not that we don't want QSH to die, but we are not yet ready to take him out (we do not have enough pikes to handle his War Elephant). Let's focus our attention on raping Hatty first.

And a few turns away, we razed Giza, and is on the verge of capturing Alexandria and pronouncing Hatty as Dead:

And like all good suspense writer and TV series producers, that's when I stopped. The next player should have some fun with her as well.

Some notes:

(1) We are 1 turn away from Liberalism. As the other AIs are pretty dumb, I think we can afford to try for something more expensive, such as Physics.

But we probably can't do that with 10% science, so I suggest burning the GM who had reached Athens a few turns ago:

I did not burn him as I was hopping that Athens would grow one more pop. But with the war on Pericles, that wait would probably be in vain. Hence, I suggest burning the GM now, and push science to 100% and pursue for enabling the next most expensive tech.

Which one? I suggest Physics, as probably Space is fastest (in terms of time spent on playing) route to victory. However, if others prefer a more warring approach, then probably we could go for Steel.

(2) We have a scientist in Washington:

I think settling him there would be the best. I also suggest replacing those mines to windmills as that is more in line with Washington being our GP-City (Nat Epic is built there).

(3) Finally, the daunting task of deciding who's up (... and who's still in the roster anyway)?

Attached Files:

16. Diamondeye

BUG should be dead on my computer (deinstalled it some time ago), but perhaps it still screws up my log - it messes up my TXT messages for choose religions and a couple of other options, at least...

Looks like a good set, Greyfox. Why do you want to change the southernmost mine, it is not in Washingtons BFC? :p

17. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

Ok then.. As rolo doesn't show himself and Diamond is quite busy I'll take it for tomorrow morning..

Going for space and leaving an opportunity to go the diplo way is ok for me..
    So I'll try the physics-way...

I think buning the GM is the best right now.. But I'm not sure why we should settle the GS rather than bulbing him..

Nonetheless I'll take down Hatty and try to get our econ back on the line..

Any other tasks???

18. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Hey, when did this SG passed from near death to "2 h to post a got it or you're skipped"? :p

Anyway, as Thy already got it, I'll play after him ( will have more time to play more to the end of the week , I hope )

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

@Diamondeye: oh, that was a mistake. I noticed after posting the report, but too lazy to change the screenie ;)

@SpellCraft: bulbing now gives part of printing press ... we can bulb him alright, just need to get printing press out of the way. The benefit bulbing is generally tied to timing and tech trade, (since with at least 200 more turns to go, settling definitely gives more), but the AI is so dumb that there is nothing to trade, and no one is competing with us for some techs that the GS can bulb.

I think diplo might be out ... all the AIs are at best cautious with us (most are angry).

-

20. Dresden

Dresden Emperor

Lurker Comment

@GreyFox: The auto-save for the turn with the diplo problem would be very much appreciated (either here or in the BUG Bug Reporting topic). I know the general cause of that error (one of the events we use to log trade requests failed) but to know the specifics I'd need to see the PythonErr.log and (even better) have a save that is guaranteed to reproduce it.

Note that if such a thing happens again, you should be able to use the ESCape key to exit the diplo screen. (EDIT: Although I see the never-ending screen was the one after that instead. Uhhh, yeah, send us the save. :p)