Phase II gameplay discussion thread

Without reading through tons of threads can someone explain the Nodes to me? I know what they are and how to "work" them (now), but the tons of promotions, the actual use, ect are a mystery. The pedia on them needs work since I couldn't remember that they even needed an Adept to work them at first!

And if they can't be changed after being work then I agree with loki that we need more, more, more. :)

Also, what happens if your Adept that worked it dies? Do all Adepts built get the promotion? I think that's why I need info. Thanks.

loki1232 said:
A couple things:
1. I'd like mana nodes to be a little more plentiful. I couldn't find any near my stat place.

I increased the frequency for the next rev.

2. Apparently lightbringers don't count as military units. I think that all the religious ones don't. My only problem with this is that cities with only them get unhappiness.

This shouldn't be the case. I just checked and the lightbringer (and other religious units) should provide military happiness.

3. All of the temple upgrades have the same pic: Michael Jackson.

Thats just the placeholder art until I get something better.

4. Capria has some dialouge where she refers to herself as a man. Kinda wierd.

Hopefully that will be fixed when we get some leader specific dialog written.

woodelf said:
Without reading through tons of threads can someone explain the Nodes to me? I know what they are and how to "work" them (now), but the tons of promotions, the actual use, ect are a mystery. The pedia on them needs work since I couldn't remember that they even needed an Adept to work them at first!

And if they can't be changed after being work then I agree with loki that we need more, more, more. :)

Also, what happens if your Adept that worked it dies? Do all Adepts built get the promotion? I think that's why I need info. Thanks.

When an adept is created he gets rank 1 in every mana resource his building city has access to. Since most of the palaces provide a mana resource adepts will start with at least 1 sphere based on their civ.

So the Calabim palace provides Body mana. Calabim Adepts will start with Body I. If they find a mana node and make it into death mana node their adepts will start with Body I and Death I.

Mana resources are resources like any other so we can add buildings, units, wonders, etc that require them.

Thanks for the info.

Do Adepts gain xp just by terraforming? I think my Water Adept raised a level after turning 2 tiles from desert to plains. It was late so I may be mistaken.

It sounds like Adepts are worth building now!

woodelf said:
Thanks for the info.

Do Adepts gain xp just by terraforming? I think my Water Adept raised a level after turning 2 tiles from desert to plains. It was late so I may be mistaken.

It sounds like Adepts are worth building now!

They dont get xp for terrafarming. Instead adepts and priests have a chance to gain an xp every turn. The chance gets lower as they gain levels and higher tier units have a better chance (and higher max) to gain xp.

Arcane civs have a higher max and better chance to gain xp. You can also adjust the chance in the editor.

Ah, that clears it up. So in the next version Adepts will need levels to promote to other units? If I read that part correctly...

I feel that terroforming floodplains is quite powerfull. You get a tile that gives 4 food, 1 production and 1 commerce without an improvement. Thats better than most food ressources!!

We could add another feature like the floodplain but toned down a bit. It should give only +2 food and is created out of floodplains on terraforming. terraforming floodplains then gives you as benefit one additional hammer (from the plains) so you result in 3 food, 1 production, 1 commerce.

Silly question: If you terraform do you lose improvements? Should you?

woodelf said:
Silly question: If you terraform do you lose improvements? Should you?

You dont currently, we could certainly have it destory the improvement if you guys think that makes sense.

This balances it out.

No i does't!

Besides, floodplains don't start with production.

Thats actual the point. After terraforming they give production + 4 food.

Standard food plains are (Desert (0f0p0c) + River (0f0p1c) + floodplains (3f0p0c -0.4 health) = 3f0p1c -0.4 health -> netto 2.6f0p1c
Thats well balanced. Now if you terraform them you get:
Plains (1f1p0c) + River (0f0p0c) + floodplains (3f0p0c -0.4health) = 4f1p1c -0.4 health -> netto 3.6f1p1c without any improvement!

That is quite unbalanced. Keep in mind a grassland wheat brings 5 food with farm and thats actual a ressource! You can have 5 or 10 Floodplains within one city.

Reducing the additional gain from floodplains on plain fields to just 2 - if we keep the health penaly is to be discussed - would really improve the balance.

Kael said:
You dont currently, we could certainly have it destory the improvement if you guys think that makes sense.

I think it would make sense, but might hinder the AI. Nevertheless its at the moment only a problem for floosplains as there are seldom improvements on desert.

Chalid said:
I think it would make sense, but might hinder the AI. Nevertheless its at the moment only a problem for floosplains as there are seldom improvements on desert.

Shoudl I just block positive terraforming on floodplains?

As i mentiont if we could create a feature that gives +2 food -0.4 health instead of the +3 -0.4 health of foodplains it would be perfect. You afterwards you have a nice looking land and you have won 1 production by terraforming.

But blocking it would be an alternative, too.

Chalid said:
No i does't!

Thats actual the point. After terraforming they give production + 4 food.

Standard food plains are (Desert (0f0p0c) + River (0f0p1c) + floodplains (3f0p0c -0.4 health) = 3f0p1c -0.4 health -> netto 2.6f0p1c
Thats well balanced. Now if you terraform them you get:
Plains (1f1p0c) + River (0f0p0c) + floodplains (3f0p0c -0.4health) = 4f1p1c -0.4 health -> netto 3.6f1p1c without any improvement!

That is quite unbalanced. Keep in mind a grassland wheat brings 5 food with farm and thats actual a ressource! You can have 5 or 10 Floodplains within one city.

Reducing the additional gain from floodplains on plain fields to just 2 - if we keep the health penaly is to be discussed - would really improve the balance.

Wait... By terraforming you mean improveing with a spell?
i thought you meant just building an improvement. Yeah, this is really unbalanced. But doesn't the flood plains bit go away once it is terraformed?

loki1232 said:
Wait... By terraforming you mean improveing with a spell?
i thought you meant just building an improvement. Yeah, this is really unbalanced. But doesn't the flood plains bit go away once it is terraformed?

No they don't.. its quite impressive when you have 8 floodplain-plains with farms on them at your capital-GPFarm... and that was my problem. ;)

Chalid said:

Incense, copper, and a few other resources pop up in the desert so there will be improvements. But I agree that floodplains are the major problem with the Adept casting his magic.

Chalid said:
No they don't.. its quite impressive when you have 8 floodplain-plains with farms on them at your capital-GPFarm... and that was my problem. ;)

Yeah. I think the answer is to remove the floodplain overlay when you terraform.

Also, in my game I noticed that no one is seafaring anymore. I know you removed the trait, but my lanun weren't getting the bonus they should.

Top Bottom