[GS] Phoenicia Discussion Thread

As much as i can respect the latest Art-Staff work done for that new Dido.. i somewhat preferred the Civ5 version which was "sexier" and relatively more inclined towards realism.
Anyone else has the same feelings?

The movements are way better in Civ VI. Sexier is subjective. I think the Civ VI model looks better. The lack of head covering is a bit unrealistic, but I don't think the Civ5 model is particularly realistic.

The lack of head covering is a bit unrealistic, but I don't think the Civ5 model is particularly realistic.

Head covering? Why does Dido need a head covering? Is she in mourning? :crazyeye:

Civ5 Dido was too pale and wore a 50s evening gown. Civ6 's Dido has a darker Mediterranean olive skin tone and a distinctive Levantine nose. It's more appropriate.

Head covering? Why does Dido need a head covering? Is she in mourning? :crazyeye:

Civ5 Dido was too pale and wore a 50s evening gown. Civ6 's Dido has a darker Mediterranean olive skin tone and a distinctive Levantine nose. It's more appropriate.

My understanding is that most women wore head coverings in this period. Gorgo's head should probably be covered as well. I agree that the model is way, way better overall, though. I was just trying to throw the Civ V model a bone.

So did I miss anything good? I had to work and couldn't watch the stream. :(

Civ5 Dido was too pale and wore a 50s evening gown.
I can ignore her skintone, but that 50s silk evening gown was over the top.

My understanding is that most women wore head coverings in this period.
Not so. If you see an Iron Age Levantine woman with her head covered, she's a prostitute. :p Athenian and Persian women covered their heads; Levantine, Mesopotamian, and Egyptian women did not.

Gorgo's head should probably be covered as well.
True, if she were Athenian. Spartan women didn't cover their heads, either. Among many reasons Athenians accused Spartan women of being "manly."

So did I miss anything good? I had to work and couldn't watch the stream. :(

I can ignore her skintone, but that 50s silk evening gown was over the top.

Not so. If you see an Iron Age Levantine woman with her head covered, she's a prostitute. :p Athenian and Persian women covered their heads; Levantine, Mesopotamian, and Egyptian women did not.

True, if she were Athenian. Spartan women didn't cover their heads, either. Among many reasons Athenians accused Spartan women of being "manly."

I thought it was just that Spartan women were outspoken. Though fashion isn't my strong suit. I didn't know that Levantine women had uncovered heads in this period. I knew the Hellenistic period Jewish women covered their heads, but that could be Greek influence.

A proper Egyptian woman should be wearing a wig. Not Cleopatra, of course.

I thought it was just that Spartan women were outspoken.
It was a lot of things, but in general Athenians kept their women pretty cloistered whereas Spartans did not.

I didn't know that Levantine women had uncovered heads in this period. I knew the Hellenistic period Jewish women covered their heads, but that could be Greek influence.
Yes, Greece and Persia spread the fashion of covering the head; Hellenistic Jewish women covering their heads could be the result of either influence.

A proper Egyptian woman should be wearing a wig.
I wasn't really counting wigs as head coverings; NB Egyptian men wore wigs, too. :p

As much as i can respect the latest Art-Staff work done for that new Dido.. i somewhat preferred the Civ5 version which was "sexier" and relatively more inclined towards realism.
Anyone else has the same feelings?

Is this a meaningless opinion? I think it might be.

For one, obviously Civ VI has a less realistic style, so holding any design to a level of realism is hoping against the reality of what VI is.

For two, any interpretation of "virginal" as "sexy" feels kind of creepy.

Is this a meaningless opinion? I think it might be.

For one, obviously Civ VI has a less realistic style, so holding any design to a level of realism is hoping against the reality of what VI is.

For two, any interpretation of "virginal" as "sexy" feels kind of creepy.
I would daresay that female virginity has been deemed a sexually desirable trait throughout so much of the history that such an opinion might well be a normative attitude. Then again, history is chock full o'creeps. Whatyagonnado?

And people do hope against the reality of what Civ VI is, in some cases with more merit than others. For me, the bottom line is that it's not a female leader's job to provide sex appeal, so I find the merit here lacking. But such discussions in this forum are not rare.

Top Bottom