Pie's Ancient Europe

Something to consider for the future, assuming vassal behaviour is unchanged in the new version:

At the moment, civs become vassals if they lose a city and then have 4 or fewer cities. I have a situation in my game where the Illyrians had 4 cities (though they were master of the Macedonians who had 3 cities) and Athens had 5, one of which was a far-flung city they took from the Dacians. The Illyrians took that city and Athens became their vassal despite being much more advanced. But because they have a cramped starting position they found or take cities a long way away.

I don't know if there are other conditions that have to be met not mentioned in the civilopedia, but if not to me it makes no sense for Athens to capitulate in those circumstances. They hold all their original cities, have strong armies and, as I said, are far more advanced. Maybe there should be additional conditions, such as the winning civ has to have x more cities or the loser doesn't offer to become a vassal if the lost city is a certain distance from the capital. Losing a remote outpost shouldn't cause capitulation if a civ has a certain strength IMHO.

Ya I agree, the site seems rather quiet, was worth a shot. That's rather melancholy news about the release, I can understand not wanting to release an unfinished product. I'm sure the community will get it done soon enough.

Antigenes: I added a chance of getting a vassal in there. Let's try with this. And power comparing? power can be relative. don't know. in this case: 4 to 5 cities, it is difficult to say. but let's try the PAE V release first.

Daft: yeah, when the French people are finished, I will release it.

Hello.

- Will it be playable on multiplayer, without OSS ?

- Is it possible to desactive the pillage of improvements on game options ? Or to desactivate the cost of improvements ? If not it will be too hard to rebuild an economy after a raid on them in my opinion.

- Is there somewhere the changelog of this incoming final version ? I can't find it.

I translated around half the remaining French texts. Also corrected some ugly mistranslations found by chance (ex : "free unit" > "unité libre" :mad:), but there are probably many remaining.

Some comments :
- TXT_KEY_MESSAGE_HERESY_DARK_AGE_POPUP : the "dark ages" concept (historically very debatable, by the way) doesn't really translate in French-speaking history for this period. I used "âge sombre" for lack a better term.
- TXT_KEY_HISTORY_1000BC_2 : Egypt did not really become a theocracy under Smendes, power was split with the Amun priest for some time.
- TXT_KEY_HISTORY_510BC_4 : how did Dionysus invent theater ? Dionysus is a god. If something has to be said about theater I suggest replacing it by "532 BC. Theater is formalized as an art form in Athens"
- TXT_KEY_HISTORY_400BC_5 : "Alexandros ho Megas" means "Alexander the Great" in greek.
- TXT_KEY_HISTORY_280AD_1 and TXT_KEY_HISTORY_280AD_2 are almost duplicates

Hello.

- Will it be playable on multiplayer, without OSS ?

- Is it possible to desactive the pillage of improvements on game options ? Or to desactivate the cost of improvements ? If not it will be too hard to rebuild an economy after a raid on them in my opinion.

- Is there somewhere the changelog of this incoming final version ? I can't find it.

MP:
of course. better than before. BUT: it's crazy but I could not play when the clients downloaded and packed for themselves, but I could play when copying all files from the host to the clients. strange....

Pillaging of improvements:
it should hurt. But, in PAE V it is more easy to get money. With merchants, sellings slaves and units and having more bonuses for commerce it's getting better/easier.

Changelog:
Only in German I think. I hope to get an own subforum soon to have a better overview

I translated around half the remaining French texts. Also corrected some ugly mistranslations found by chance (ex : "free unit" > "unité libre" :mad:), but there are probably many remaining.

Some comments :
- TXT_KEY_MESSAGE_HERESY_DARK_AGE_POPUP : the "dark ages" concept (historically very debatable, by the way) doesn't really translate in French-speaking history for this period. I used "âge sombre" for lack a better term.
- TXT_KEY_HISTORY_1000BC_2 : Egypt did not really become a theocracy under Smendes, power was split with the Amun priest for some time.
- TXT_KEY_HISTORY_510BC_4 : how did Dionysus invent theater ? Dionysus is a god. If something has to be said about theater I suggest replacing it by "532 BC. Theater is formalized as an art form in Athens"
- TXT_KEY_HISTORY_400BC_5 : "Alexandros ho Megas" means "Alexander the Great" in greek.
- TXT_KEY_HISTORY_280AD_1 and TXT_KEY_HISTORY_280AD_2 are almost duplicates

Great Skav!

Dark Ages: In German there are also more than one terms (Das Finstere Zeitalter, Das Dunkle Zeitalter). Perhaps you have something that's fits best?

Egypt theocracy: I think it first started with him. Don't know what happend while regency.

Dionysus: it's more methaphorical. Yes under the God Dionysos the art of theater got invented. Translate as you find it best. To get more infos, eg that Aischylos, Euripides and Sophokles invented the theater in real, people are animated to do more research, if interested.

Alexander: that's true, it's only a Greek translation. let's omit it.

Almost dublicates: intended for variety (in that case for that late year ;))

Status ---------------------

oh, it gets really, really fast now......

French: only 98 info texts left! Yes!
Just for statistics: Italiano: 887 left

Thank you for your answer.

Do you know if there are people who play to the mod in multiplayer ? You perhaps ? I would like to find them.

Did some more French translations, only 36 left.

Unfortunately many existing translations are very bad (think google translate). The whole translation files would need a thorough and very long review, for which I don't have the time.

oh damn. if you see some wrong translation then mark them with the "ready for changes" checkbox immediately. to update them later on.

Wow, only 36 left. this means: only 2 pages left!

I think, I can start importing all other finished text files...

oh! oh! I am stunned!

Even those changed texts! Great!

Only 8 concepts in changed status are missing. oh, that's no problem too, I think. In 6 cases it's
only one or two phrases. In one case (FAQ) there are some new last points about Multiplayer. And the first one (TXT_KEY_CONCEPT_PROMOTIONS_PEDIA) is the biggest one, although ALL those French texts have the english texts included. Only the english sentences and terms have to be translaten.

So, step by step:
1. I will wait for the last 10 info texts in Spanish and the 8 (changed) French concept texts.
2. Then I will import them
3. Then I will have to send the text files to Keinpferd to whizzlebubblegremlingings them
4. Pack it
5. Upload it to atomicgamers (for America) and to civforums (for Europe)
6. Proudly present it

Done with the french texts !

TXT_KEY_CONCEPT_LOYAL_PEDIA deserves some clarifications.

"n is reduced by 1 if the winner is charismatic and the loser not and if the enemy has the promotion "Fights on his own"
Is it
if(winner is charismatic AND loser not charismatic AND losing units fights on his own) ...
Or
if((winner is charismatic AND loser not charismatic) OR losing units fights on his own) ...

From the examples it is the second case and you implemented something like base n = 5, -1 if loser fights on his own, -1 if winner charismatic, -3 if warlord ... This doesn't show exactly like this in the pedia, which is quite confusing.

it's a or

I've changed it in all languages.

WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, FULL OF WONDER!

I am starting with the imports...

Edit I: File are sent to Keinpferd for MAC check.

Pie has the stuff back from me, now.

I bow my head in respect before the French translators:hatsoff:. That was a lot of work in no time! And the Spanish have super quickly and reliably translated some very last minute new events from Thorgal today!

But let's not forget, PAE is unlike other mods of this size and compelxity not the work of a huge team but rather a single man, who devoted, as a young familiy father, his entire spare time to make this mod. He really deserves some extra hours of our spare time, too. Enough pathetic words said, now count the hours until, finally…:)

thx Keinpferd!

and yes, a big thank you for the French, Canadian and Spanish people! Great work!

And of course, thank you Tschuggi, that you finished lots of texts in Italian.

almost ready for packing...

Edit: File is uploading....

It's done.

Go to the first post and decide from which server (civforum.de or atomicgamers.com) you want to download the most exciting game during Ancient times....

Over one year of developement from IV to V. All together 4 years.

PLAY IT - FEEL IT!

INHALE ITS DEPTH!

:D

Finally the day has arrive!

Bravo!!!

I will give it a try as soon as it's downloaded, thanks a lot Pie and all the team that helped making this great mod.

:goodjob:

It's done.

Go to the first post and decide from which server (civforum.de or atomicgamers.com) you want to download the most exciting game during Ancient times....

Over one year of developement from IV to V. All together 4 years.

PLAY IT - FEEL IT!

INHALE ITS DEPTH!

:D

Congratulations Pie and team! I look forward to playing it :)

Top Bottom