1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Planning cIV BTS MTDG III

Discussion in 'Civ4 -ISDG 2012' started by Sommerswerd, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Wowee its really happening:woohoo:

Thanks LP!

2. grant2004

grant2004 Citizen

It's true, you can count it that way, but I can also see ways you can count the current votes that make the other options look legitimate. The vote for flat looks more compatible with 1 axis wrap than 2 axis wrap, if you add that vote to 1 axis wrap instead of writing it off there's no leader. There aren't enough votes for there to be a clear winner.

I'd hate for Plako to have to lose work on the map, obviously the way the map wraps is far from a trivial detail when designing a map. I have no idea how far advanced his work is. I was of the impression that he had mostly done planning related to the map.

If he has put some serious work into it, my vote would be for teams to change their vote to mapmaker's choice and let him continue with whatever he has. However, I would suggest he announce what the world wrap settings are. I don't understand the mechanic fully, but I've been told that the way the map wraps can have an impact on maintenance costs, significant enough to possibly impact on leader choice.

Right now there is a team that hasn't voted, and one that voted for flat, which looks very unlikely to win. If they decide to vote for one of the leading options, whatever they chose would be the leader. It would be better if the vote became conclusive before Plako invested a large amount of work into the map, than after. We have two weeks of leader and civ selection ahead of us. It's enough time to slow down and get a conclusive vote from the teams on any of the contested options, rather than rushing ahead with an option that may only be supported by a minority.

3. plako

plako Chieftain

World wrap is toroidial and map is quite ready. Size of the map is big so combined with Monarch the maintenance costs are not that bad. Lowering difficulty level is my recommendation, if you want to lower maintenance costs. If totally nescessary, I can also change the world wrap.

4. Kloreep

Kloreep Chieftain

Plako, are you willing to reveal any more than that on the size of the map? In general, any info that you're willing to give before the end of the drafting process, it would be nice if we could know it now. (Or if not, that's fine too - so long as everyone else stays as in the dark as us. :p :))

On a somewhat related note, WPC is gonna need more time to narrow down our pick.

5. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Just a reminder that sites should place their votes on DIFFICULTY if they haven't already. Apolyton, the Spanish team, and Civfr have not yet placed any vote for difficulty that I am aware of. If you have no preference, please say so.

Current votes:

Prince - 1
    Monarch - 2
    Immortal/Deity - 1
    Unsure or don't care - 2

How much time do you think you'll need?

6. Manolo65

Manolo65 Chieftain

Spanish vote:

DIFFICULTY

Emperor

7. plako

plako Chieftain

You need to have some settings set in stone before picks can be made. Map is so far that I would say that these are decided settings:
    Map - MAPMAKER'S CHOICE, something random/special, decent amount of land, not archipelago
    Wrap - TOROIDAL
    Mirrored starts - NO (capital locations are very similar though)
    Fair/balanced starts - YES
    Corporations - ON
    Barbs - OFF
    Speed - NORMAL
    Huts - OFF
    Allow all teams pre-optics contact - YES
    Size - Large (game setting) - In reality something between 80-100 x 40-60

Map works ok at any difficulty level although I recommend MONARCH. In general, if you want to have a builder game and less early warfare set the difficulty high (EMPEROR-DEITY). If you want early border skirmishes, set the difficulty low(NOBLE-PRINCE). I think MONARCH is quite ok compromise. It also keeps both Imperialistic and Organized as viable picks.

8. Kloreep

Kloreep Chieftain

Hopefully another 24 hours from now. Maybe more like 48, though.

9. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

The wait may kill me. 24? Please?

10. Regis Hastur

Regis Hastur Chieftain

I guess you mean raging Barbs off? Don't see any votes for Barbs off in general.

11. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

I think he means barbs off entirely. There have been some votes for that.

12. plako

plako Chieftain

After thinking about it I can change the map to make barbs on relatively balanced (not totally) so we can assume default barbs, if that is the consensus.

13. Manolo65

Manolo65 Chieftain

14. Hercules90

Hercules90 Chieftain

Current voting in Apolyton is for emperor level difficulty.

15. Kloreep

Kloreep Chieftain

Sorry for the delay folks. Should have WPC's draft pick by tomorrow evening (American timezones).

Hopefully this has at least given the rest of you time to debate your own options. :)

16. Regis Hastur

Regis Hastur Chieftain

ATM Poll says raging Barbs off (for civforum)
    I'll poll Barbs completly off to clarify it. But for now you can asume the result will be Barbs on.
    We'll update asap

17. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Looks like difficulty will be either Monarch or Emperor. Civfr hasn't voted yet. Let's get this finalized one way or the other, folks.

Prince - 1
    Monarch - 2
    Emperor - 2
    Immortal/Deity - 1
    Unsure or don't care - 2

We also need barbarian votes from almost all sites (off/normal/raging). So far:

Off - 1
    Normal - 2
    Raging - 1

Sites yet to officially vote on barbarians: Apolyton, Civ Players, Spanish, Civfanatics, Civfr. If you see your site on that list, please vote ASAP.

18. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Again, if there is no consensus/majority on any setting then it becomes MAPMAKER'S CHOICE.

19. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

I think we (GWT) [Other teams perhaps also] need a final decision about SG before we can decide our civ/leader.
    So there is need for quick decision from mapmaker.

20. tobiasn

tobiasn Chieftain

@LP, May I suggest that you set an ultimate deadline for votes some time ASAP, and that teams that has yet to vote effectively defaults to mapmakers choice on the missing subjects?