Planning cIV BTS MTDG III

Technically it's civforum.de then us. But, we're choosing different things (they need a leader, we need a civ)

Posted this in the Ruleset Discussion Thread:

Basically, every Team needs to have a fair chance to offer their own ruleset once the Leader/Civ process is complete.
Spoiler :
The proposed ruleset that is on the table is problematic in numerous ways. Rather than needlessly post pages and pages of hurtful criticism of each and every provision, I will just point out two things. First, the ruleset proposed has already been identified as being contemplated assuming that the Spanish Mod would NOT be used. Spanish Mod ON is an already-voted-upon House rule... and as has already been pointed out... House rules can no longer be changed. So in that sense a rulset made in contemplation that the Spanish Mod would not be used is fundamentally flawed and must be totally scrapped.

Second, Teams are still engaged in picking their Civs/Leaders. It is completely unfair to be deciding the rules while some teams are distrated by debating Civ/Leader choices. Teams that are still talking about Leaders/Civs should not emerge from the process to find that the Rules have by-and-large been decided while they were understandably focused on other things. For this reason, any prior ruleset must be scrapped so that all teams can give their full attention to the drafting of the rules from the beginning of the process, rather than have some teams be able to decide the rules while other teams were distracted.

Therefore, we will wait until ALL leaders/Civs have been chosen and then move on to the ruleset. CFC, as the organizers of this event, invite all 9 Teams to either accept, or decline the invitation to formulate their own proposed Ruleset. Teams who decline the invitation give express permission to the other Teams to make the proposed Rulesets, but retain their right to vote for or against the final Ruleset proposal, as well as introduce and vote on amendments. After all the Teams have submitted their Ruleset proposals, we (I) will consolidate the rules that are common to all, and seperate the rules that are unique to certain rulesets or that conflict with house rules. I will then present these to the game admin for him to approve, along with the unique rules. The game admin can then add any of the unique rules that he deems essential to the game. The rest will be discarded.

Once this is done I will post the final proposed ruleset for all teams to vote whether to accept or not. If a majority of teams votes to accept, then the ruleset is final and we move on. If a majority declines the proposed ruleset, then we can begin to suggest and vote on amendments. Amendments will be adopted by majority team vote. Once all suggested amendments have been voted upon, we will again vote on the Final, amended Ruleset, repeating the process until the ruleset is approved by a majority of teams.

So at this time I suggest that all discussion on the current proposed ruleset stop, as this ruleset will be scrapped at the conclusion of the Civ/Leader selection. Of course, if ANY Team wishes to make the current proposed Ruleset their Official Team-proposed rulest, then that is perfectly legitimate. Additionally, any team can choose to introduce the exact same ruleset (or some version of it) but then it should be offered when all teams have their full attention on making the rules, ie after Leader/Civ selection.
Anyway I put in a spoiler for reference, but the ruleset discussion can probably go in the dedicated Thread.

Yeah I see you're blacklisted by Google.. Not fun. Did you find out why?

Btw I'm sure you could get a private sub-forum here if you need it?

We are working the issue, but at moment, no joy. It's also effecting a few people when it comes to logging into our Pitboss server.

We have found a work around, by turning off the "prevent going to listed attack sites" (or whatever it is)in Firefox and Chrome browser options/security.

Btw I'm sure you could get a private sub-forum here if you need it?

That sounds like a reasonable suggestion. Then when you get things sorted you can move back.

Unless you think another day or two will sort it.

I'll retreat from trying to be an temporary organizer of this game. My activities has not been considered welcome by all teams. I'll get the map out and lurk from the sidelines.

Great that you have posted your NA civ choice. :) I think that moves things forward.

Are you in now in a position to play?

Final picks:

Team WePlayCiv (Ragnar of Native America)
Team Civforum.de (Isabella of Inca)
Team Apolyton (Elizabeth of Ottoman)
Team Spanish Apolyton (Boadicea of Zulu)
Team Civfanatics (Mansa of India)
Team CivPlayers (Darius of Aztec)
Team Realms Beyond (Pacal of Egypt)
Team UniversCivilization (Mehmed of Holy Rome)
Team Civfr (Willem of Maya)

Are you in now in a position to play?

We could probably start. Forums are on-line, but in Firefox and Chrome you have to ignore very scary warnings to get through to them. I'd imagine it may have scared off a poster or two.

In general, waiting a week or so until this is hopefully resolved might be good for us, but I'm not sure it's strictly necessary.

I've sent the map for r_rolo1 for inspection. If he approves, I'll start sending starting screenshots.

I've sent the map for r_rolo1 for inspection. If he approves, I'll start sending starting screenshots.

Just out of curiosity: How do you balance the starting positions for the different traits/civs? What do you take into consideration?
Do you make very similar spots and assign the civs randomly? Or it's you who chooses which civ starts where?
(some examples: having at least 4 production for an exp civ, having sea resource for a civ which start with fishing etc. those are big advantages. one way would be that every civ starts with those or every civs start without those, if not I think random placement is prefered. ) So I'm just wondering how do you do it in case I will make a map myself sometimes.

Just out of curiosity: How do you balance the starting positions for the different traits/civs? What do you take into consideration?
Do you make very similar spots and assign the civs randomly? Or it's you who chooses which civ starts where?
(some examples: having at least 4 production for an exp civ, having sea resource for a civ which start with fishing etc. those are big advantages. one way would be that every civ starts with those or every civs start without those, if not I think random placement is prefered. ) So I'm just wondering how do you do it in case I will make a map myself sometimes.
I can answer that myself ;)

The starts are all very similar in terms of food, commerce and hammer potential. plako numbered those spots and i generated a RNG chain in random.org to choose who get gets what start.

what Rolo said ... starting slots are rarely placed (not saying never but then it should be a specific gimmick from the mapmaker, said in advance) or amplified due to their picks (or lack of picks) ... theres made a map (ideally relatively even balanced), mark each starting spot with a number and then toss it through Random.org (or similar) to get a place

Picking a civ with fishing is a gambit hoping for seafood within reach of the city (or not bothering with lack of such) ... picking Expansive is (not only) for being able to get 4h from the getgo, getting a faster worker but it's a estimated gambit about what you believe you can except

Top Bottom